Normal Topic Why use Server mode? (Read 751 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Why use Server mode?
Mar 11th, 2004 at 7:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm wondering what the benefits are of running Sesame in Server mode?

Currently our 7 users all share 1 Q&A database that is stored on our fastest, unused pc in a peer-to-peer network and this has been working stabily for 2 years. We don't even log on to the "Server" pc, it just sits at the login screen. The users have 'mapped' the hard drive of the server to their machine. (Kinda seems like a waste of a pc to me)

Can't we do the same thing with Sesame? Just put the database files on this shared pc and operate Sesame with a bunch of local copies?

Is there a more efficient way of running Sesame on a server?

Also, if Sesame is running in server mode can a user work in a database from another location via a broadband connection? Is there a command line switch that would enable this connection?

Thanks for your help!
Steve in Texas

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Why use Server mode?
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 7:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
The benefits are in network efficiency, CPU efficiency, and monetary efficiency. When you run Q&A using file sharing - to do a search you need to send every record in your database across you network so it can be searched by the CPU that is actually running Q&A. That requires that you have a fast CPU on all of your "client" computers and a fast network. In Sesame, when you search, you send the search string over to the server, which does the work and replies with the one record you are actually viewing in the form - much less network traffic. It also allows for the clients to be weak small cheap computers. And, considering that you are likely to have only one server per many clients - that can really add up to a significant savings.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 7:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Also, if Sesame is running in server mode can a user work in a database from another location via a broadband connection? Is there a command line switch that would enable this connection?

As long as the connection is TCP/IP no special setting are required other than the usual client/server options.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark,

So to connect over the internet, would i use the server's IP address AND port number?

Can you give me an example of what the command line would like like?

Thanks,
Steve in Texas

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 8:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Mark,

So to connect over the internet, would i use the server's IP address AND port number?

Can you give me an example of what the command line would like like?

Thanks,
Steve in Texas

On the server:
sesame -server www.MadeUpName.org:20020:20021

On the client:
sesame -client www.MadeUpName.org:20020:20021

If you are not the owner of the server, you should check with your system administator about the availability of the ports (and generally get permission). If you are the owner you can check the "services" file for available ports. You can use any available port numbers, though it is very advisable that they be over 1024, and simply advisible that they be over 4096. If you leave them off, they default to 20000 and 20001. If those ports are okay, you can leave them off.

It is probably wise to make sure that any server security is in place (like IP-chaining, etc) and you may want to use Sesame's allow and deny files to control what IP addresses are allowed to connect to your Sesame server.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2004 at 10:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark. I'll try to test this out over the weekend to see out it does. Since we dont have a domain name, i'll substite with an IP address.

Now i just need to read up on Ports and port security.

Thanks again,

Steve in Texas

IP Logged