Normal Topic saving subform record clears out fields? (Read 854 times)
FSGROUP

No personal text

saving subform record clears out fields?
Mar 1st, 2004 at 8:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
When I add or edit a field in the subform (from within a main form) and try  to save the record (using the command tree), my changes are removed. Ie., the subform record is unchanged.

Strange.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Re: saving subform record clears out fields?
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 10:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm not seeing this.
Which app are you using - one of the sample apps?
Is this a table view subform or a form view one?
When you edit an existing subrecord, are you leaving the layout element?
When you add a new subrecord, do you leave the subrecord?
Where is you cursor when you save?
Which save command on the menu are you using?

Alec
IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2004 at 10:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
This has never happened before, until now. The problem seems to be attached to a specific record in my application.  I have performed a search in Designer (preview mode), updated a field in the subform, moved to another element(whether it be another subform LE or a form LE) and i use "Save Record" under Navigation and my changes get wiped out.  Doesn't seem to matter where the cursor resides. I can send the app to Support if you're interested.

I've been experiencing several problems with Designer. Seems to crash for no reason.  I have sent in the app regarding this before.  Got a reply that it was a bug, but man, is it ever frustrating to continually reopen the app and redo your work when there is nothing wrong with your code or data.  When do you estimate v 1.0.2 will be out?

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #3 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 8:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have also found that designer sometimes randomly crashes - mainly when creating LE's, working with subforms or tab pages Its frustrating creating the layout for a form and when you are on the second last element having the program crash for no apparent reason and having to start out all over again. There doesn't seem to be any real connections between the crashes.

Justin

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2004 at 8:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
We understand that it's frustrating, and will certainly work to fix whatever crashes we can find. Knowing how to cause them is the key. It's very unlikely to be "random". If you are experiencing this, try to be aware of patterns that cause the crash. It's our best chance at tracking them down. Meanwhile, much of your frustration can be circumvented simply by saving your work periodically.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2004 at 12:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have also found that designer sometimes randomly crashes - mainly when creating LE's, working with subforms or tab pages Its frustrating creating the layout for a form and when you are on the second last element having the program crash for no apparent reason and having to start out all over again. There doesn't seem to be any real connections between the crashes.

Justin

FYI: I think we may have just uncovered and fixed the "designer crashes for no reason" problem. There was a bug buried in the code that runs when you assign fonts to elements. Under certain circumstances, with no pattern that would be visible to the user, this bug would crash Designer while changing a font. If this sounds familiar to any of you who have been having this problem, please let me know.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged