Normal Topic Report Preview prints ALL not selected Set (Read 882 times)
robwood_ok

No personal text

Report Preview prints ALL not selected Set
Mar 17th, 2004 at 3:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here is what I am doing...

As in Q&A, I enter a letter and two dots in a field to retrieve a few select records.  I am now in Update mode, and I select one of my Q&A translated Reports (no Retreive spec, and only one field in Sort spec).  When I double click the Preview version of the report, it creates a HTML file for ALL records in the database.    

Isn't Sesame supposed to only show my selected record set?   How do I make it do this?

Also, how are we going to keep users from filling up the hard drive with all those leftover previewed html files that are being created and left in the Sesame directory.

Robert Wood

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Report Preview prints ALL not selected Set
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 3:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Also, how are we going to keep users from filling up the hard drive with all those leftover previewed html files that are being created and left in the Sesame directory.

You could start Sesame with a batch file where there is a line at the beginning that deletes the old reports.  Something like this::

c:
cd\program\sesame
del c:\sesame\*.htm
Sesame.exe

The line with the delete command should be the Current Working directory (CWD) or the same path as the "Start In" folder on your shortcut.

Now, every time you start Sesame, it will remove all copies of reports from earlier sessions. 

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 3:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Here is what I am doing...

As in Q&A, I enter a letter and two dots in a field to retrieve a few select records.  I am now in Update mode, and I select one of my Q&A translated Reports (no Retreive spec, and only one field in Sort spec).  When I double click the Preview version of the report, it creates a HTML file for ALL records in the database.    

Isn't Sesame supposed to only show my selected record set?   How do I make it do this?

This is a known bug (fixed in 1.0.2) - there are workarounds listed for 1.0.1:

http://www.lantica.com/Support/sesame_workarounds.html

Quote:

Robert Wood

The reports (whether previewed or printed) are named by date and time of creation (to the second), there is also an environment variable you can set to control the path: "SESAME_REPORT_PATH"

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Do you have any retrieve or sort spec attached to the Report? If it's translated from Q&A, you probably do. Also there is a Known Bug regarding attached specs which is fixed in the upcoming release.

Quote:
Bug: An attached sort spec on a report causes a default attached retrieve spec.

Symptoms:
If a sort spec is attached to a report, but no retrieve spec is attached, the entire set of records are included in the report, ignoring the already retrieved set.

Workaround:
Either attach an appropriate retrieve spec when attaching the sort spec, or attach neither a sort or retrieve spec and sort the retrieved set before running the report. A "default" sort spec can be attached to the form itself and used when the form retrieves the initial batch.

Fixed in Sesame 1.0.2

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

robwood_ok

No personal text

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 9:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the help, removing the sort spec, solved the problem for now.   Since this is fixed in 1.0.2, what is the "anticipated" release date?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 9:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks for the help, removing the sort spec, solved the problem for now.   Since this is fixed in 1.0.2, what is the "anticipated" release date?

It's being packed up as we speak. Look for an announcement no later than Monday.  Grin

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #6 - Mar 17th, 2004 at 10:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Look for an announcement no later than Monday.    Grin

You mean actual release and not just annoucement for release date.   Grin Grin Grin.  You also forgot to mention which Monday.   Smiley  Grin  Grin  Grin.  I hope you take this lightly. We all know you have been working very hard and we appreciate it very much. Thanks for the great product.

IP Logged