Normal Topic Keyboard input handling (Read 642 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Keyboard input handling
Mar 19th, 2004 at 6:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am trying to use a utility to automate some Sesame functions, but have run into a problem that Sesame does not respond to the input that simulates pressing F10 or F9 (maybe others also).  It does respond to pressing Tab, Shift, all alphanumerics [a-z0-9] on the keyboard.  Does Sesame somehow circumvent Windows keyboard handling and process it at a different level?

If certain keys are handled differently, can a list be provided so that I can adapt my tools to handle that?

Better than that, can Sesame process all keyboard inputs using standard Windows keyboard handling?  Perhaps some more keys need to be included from the current list?

I think the use of standard handling is critical if you are going to allow third party applications to be created to interface with Sesame like they can with other Windows applications.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Keyboard input handling
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 7:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
FLTK (and hence Sesame) uses the standard Window's event loop:

GetMessage
TranslateMessage
DispatchMessage

with a very typical WndProc catching the dispathed events. We use the WM_KEYDOWN, WM_SYSKEYDOWN, WM_KEYUP, and WM_SYSKEYUP, as well as the WM_DEADCHAR, WM_SYSDEADCHAR, WM_CHAR, and WM_SYSCHAR message events for keyboard handling.

If you want to check it out, FLTK can be downloaded - for free from www.fltk.org. The file of interest would be the Fl_win32.cxx file in the src directory.

Keyboard handling by Sesame does not modify this portion of the FLTK source in any way.

Is it possible that your automation tool is not using the Window's keyboard event loop - but is actually using DDE/OLE somewhat creatively?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Re: Keyboard input handling - FLTK
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2004 at 8:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is it possible that your automation tool is not using the Window's keyboard event loop - but is actually using DDE/OLE somewhat creatively?

That is possible, Mark.  I will check that out.  I had already downloaded FLTK in early stages of Beta testing.  But never had a need to dig in deeply.  Thanks for the lead and the details on the events.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2004 at 8:25pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Re: Keyboard input handling - FLTK
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2004 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Lantica web site http://www.lantica.com/FLTK/ is referencing version 1.1.3, and also references December 15, 2003.

Is the version that is downloaded from this web site the current one, or still from 12/15/03?  The date of the newest file is 12/17/03.  Is this the most current version for Sesame 1.0.2, or the one from Sesame, Version 1.0.0

FLTK is now at Version 1.1.4.   Are you still using FLTK 1.1.3?  If you upgrade to a newer version of FLTK, can you please make that information known with an entry here in the forum?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged