Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) error in retrieve specs for reports (Read 2350 times)
FSGROUP

No personal text

Re: error in retrieve specs for reports
Reply #15 - Mar 27th, 2004 at 10:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
thanx for the advice.  seems natural links are the way to go. 

hm, how difficult would it be to convert all my subforms from relational links to natural links? will i lose all the relationships between parent form and subform if i delete the existing subforms and recreate them w/ natural links?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #16 - Mar 28th, 2004 at 2:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
thanx for the advice.  seems natural links are the way to go. 
hm, how difficult would it be to convert all my subforms from relational links to natural links? will i lose all the relationships between parent form and subform if i delete the existing subforms and recreate them w/ natural links?

How much actual data is there currently in your application that needs to be preserved?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

FSGROUP

No personal text

Reply #17 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 10:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
all of it.

i tried copying layouts and copying records from one subform (w/ relational linking) to another (w/ natural links). it didn't work.

clues?

thanx

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #18 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 10:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here's my suggestion:

Export to a .csv file all the LE's from the form (this will include parent and subform).

then delete the subform and create the new one.

Then import your records back in.

Peice of cake!

Steve

This is how I plan to migrate from Q&A (one Q&A Inventory database, into 2 sesame databases (inven and customers)

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #19 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 11:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
i tried copying layouts and copying records from one subform (w/ relational linking) to another (w/ natural links). it didn't work.

No, that wouldn't work. If there is data that needs to be preserved, your best bet is likely to make use of the hierarchical export and import capabilities. Make a backup before doing any of this!

You do not need to alter any of your existing Forms, except for the Subform containers on the Parent Form.

1. From your top level Parent Form, export all the data, including all the data from all the subrecords. Just choose Set All in the Export Spec and accept the defaults.
2. Go into your design. Delete all the subforms from your Parent Form.
3. Using Field Manager, delete all the Subrecord fields from your Parent Database.
4. Go into the design of your Parent Form. Put all the Subforms back in, this time selecting Natural Linking.
5. Go into Preview and import the file you exported.

See how it goes. It is very important that you not change the order of any LE's until after you've imported the data. If you want some of your subrecords to be natural, and others to be relational, that will need to be dealt with in specific.

Your particular application structure is pretty complex, so it is difficult to predict how smoothly this will go. Give it a try and let me know how it works out.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print