Normal Topic Server/Client question (Read 782 times)
jenni

No personal text

Server/Client question
Mar 29th, 2004 at 6:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
In the Sesame Multi-User Installation instructions, it instructs you to install Sesame from the original CD to the client (computer).

Is there a way to access Sesame from the server through the network without installing this CD to an already overloaded system?

Also, i'm unsure of the license count disk that I have.  It has a short-cut icon "s_conf speed dial" and a text document "Multi License".

Thanks!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Server/Client question
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 6:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Is there a way to access Sesame from the server through the network without installing this CD to an already overloaded system?

Sesame can be run from any directory, including a shared directory on a file server.

Quote:
Also, i'm unsure of the license count disk that I have.  It has a short-cut icon "s_conf speed dial" and a text document "Multi License".

You must have a program that considers .cnf to be it's file extension. Instructions for installing the license came with Sesame. If you need any help with that, contact Lantica's technical support. Here's the contact page:

http://www.lantica.com/Company/contact.html

Once installed, simply starting the server will tell you how many licenses you have.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

jenni

No personal text

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 6:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Sesame can be run from any directory, including a shared directory on a file server.

Thanks for your help! The server says that there are 3 connections, so that answers that question.  Grin

One down, one to go!

As for my other problem, i'm not familiar with the server/client concept. This is my first experience, so it's confusing for me.

I see details of how it should work, but no instructions on how I go about setting up each of the client (2 others besides my own, which works fine) machines.

I don't expect anyone to type out step by step instructions, but if there is a link or if someone could point out something I have overlooked in the user guide, I would appreciate it greatly!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2004 at 9:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are you going to install a fresh copy of Sesame onto each of these other two machines? If so, you can do a normal Sesame install on each of those.

If you want each of these machines to share a copy of Sesame instead, you will need to install Sesame on a machine they can both get to through the network. That machine will act as your file server (nothing to do with Sesame client/server). You would then be able to get to the Sesame executables just as you would any other file on a networked drive.

IP Logged

jenni

No personal text

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2004 at 2:35am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Are you going to install a fresh copy of Sesame onto each of these other two machines? If so, you can do a normal Sesame install on each of those.

If you want each of these machines to share a copy of Sesame instead, you will need to install Sesame on a machine they can both get to through the network. That machine will act as your file server (nothing to do with Sesame client/server). You would then be able to get to the Sesame executables just as you would any other file on a networked drive.

I have my computer set us as the server. I also have a client set up on my computer.

My supervisor wants the other two computers to access Sesame from the server (on my computer) because the other computers are already loaded down with other software.

I made .exe shortcuts for the database and designer on a client's desktop from the Sesame files on the network. When I try to open either of them, they display the name of my computer (whatever the pathway is), but it doesn't allow access to any of the files that are stored in the database.

I even tried to change the target in the shortcuts like I did on my computer, but it didn't work.

I'm sure it's something simple, but I don't know anything about networking.

Thanks for being patient. I appreciate your help!  Smiley

The people in my office know even less about computers than I do, so they are counting on me!

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Mar 30th, 2004 at 12:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
When you say that the other computers are loaded down with software - do you mean that their harddrives are full? Or do you mean that they are running lots of programs?

If the harddrives are not full - it would probably be simplest to set each of them up with the normal Sesame install and run them as clients:

sesame -client YourServer

If the harddrives are full (really you should go through what you have and clean up any wasted space) - then you can set up an icon to point at your networked copy of the sesame executable. Let's say it is own drive G: on the local machine and in directory path C:\Sesame\Program on the file server:

Target in the icon should be:

G:\>Sesame\Program\sesame -client YourServer

Make sure the Sesame server is up and running on "YourServer":

sesame -server YourServer

before you start.

In general, I suspect that the normal client/server setup, as described in the manual will do the trick. The normal full install doesn't really take up very much space - only about 38 meg.

IP Logged