Normal Topic Re: Need Translation translation (Read 430 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Need Translation translation
Mar 30th, 2004 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Converting field numbers to field names refers to the logical field numbers used in programming.
#10 = #15 * #20 might be converted to
ItemTotal = Quantity * Price

An element cannot be named "1" if created in Sesame, however, the translator may allow them because they don't actually cause a problem unless you use them in programming. We don't want to throw a whole bunch of errors on translation and make you fix things that may never actually affect you.

The "!" that you see in Bound To is tacked on by Sesame. It is not part of the Field Name itself. It is a path separator. In this case, it indicates that the field is "here". A subform field two levels deep, for example, might appear as Child!Grandchild!GField.  I know that, in the Property Viewer,  all fields are "here", but the value displayed is also used in other contexts.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Need Translation translation
Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2004 at 8:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
OK.  So translation removed the # and changed #1 to 1, which is still a number.  But I thought numbers couldn't be used as field names.

No. If your field is actually named "1". It didn't do anything to it. In Q&A, #10 = #1 and #10 = 1 are not the same thing.

Numbers can't be used as field names in programming. Having an element named "5" does no harm unless you try to use it in programming. If you enter a SBasic program like ...
ItemPrice = BasePrice + 5
... we would have no way to know if you meant us to add 5 or to add the value in an element called "5".  However, if you never use that element in a program, it makes no difference. Characters like "!" and "=" are much more harmful, because they interfere with our ability to do things like parse Retrieve Specs.

Quote:
I guess, but my Error Log lists 264 of these.

Does it list them as Errors or just as Warnings? Again, it's only really harmful to have numbers as field/element names if you use them in programming. The easiest thing to do is to change the field names in Q&A before translating.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged