Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Re: What happened to the speed (Read 4276 times)
Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Re: What happened to the speed
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 8:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
FYI this is an invoice db with 1005 fields.
Part of it consists of 51 lines (17 per page) each with 9 fields left to right per line (SKU, QTY, Backorder, Shipped, Desc, etc)

Server Admin Error Log shows:
246 lines of "Element name resolves to a number"
4 lines for fields named %, $, #, and @15%
1 line for "[Amount^] contains operator characters" (even though there's no field named Amount)
1 line for "[S88] cannot be retained with value [____]"
1 line for "[P1] cannot be retained with value [_____]"

Walt,
You sure know how to strain the system! I am glad you are not the coach of my kid's football team!!!  Smiley   Grin

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2004 at 8:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
1 line for "[S88] cannot be retained with value [____]"
1 line for "[P1] cannot be retained with value [_____]"
(both the S88 and P1 fields above contain numbers, so why this msg?)

The field names contain numbers but there is probably a record in your Q&A database that has the data "____" in those fields. The errors are telling you that it is clearing those fields rather than have the junk data in them

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

josebetzy

Hmmm. How? Cómo?

Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2004 at 11:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Just listening to the speed problem, I have a QA5 translated database with 10,230 records, 198 fields (elements) plenty of programming, lookups. When I first open the application for the first time, it takes about 27 seconds, then I have no problem. I select the database, retrieve (F7)  whatever and get the results in less than a second. I have tried using several levels of retrieve at the same time for very specific records and it gets them in a blink. The only complaint I have is the Table View, but that has a solution in better design.

The only help experience I can give is that after cleaning up the QA5 database before translation, has been the solution to speed problems. I had a very early post that it was slow. I followed the Lantica recommended translation checks and the improvement was very significant.  I hope this helps because I do not think I am unique.

Jose L. Muñoz

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2004 at 1:49am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
FYI this is an invoice db with 1005 fields.
Part of it consists of 51 lines (17 per page) each with 9 fields left to right per line (SKU, QTY, Backorder, Shipped, Desc, etc)

This sounds like a perfect example of a Q&A database that should be broken into subforms.  It sounds like you have all these pages for line items on the invoice.  Each of these lines should really be a separate record in their own database.  shown as a sub form to the Invoice form.  The other 138 fields are probably associated with the Invoice "header", common to all line items on the invoice.

I would even suggest you might want to do the redesign in Q&A before translating to Sesame. Make copies and work on the copies only.  It will take some effort, but make a new InvItems database, and be sure to use a Unique field for each record, most likely the Invoice number.  Copy the Invoice Number and all the info on line 1, for all the records with info on line 1 to the new database, then copy the Invoice Number and all info on line 2 for all the records with info on line 2, etc.  Do this for all 51 lines.  Now delete all 51 lines from this database and all you should have are the 138 remaining fields which will be the Invoice Header.

Now when translating into Sesame, bring both Q&A databases into the Invoice.db application.  Bring in only the Header information to the InvHeader database and bring in InvItems into the InvItems database.  Then make the InvItems a subform for Invoices form that shows the InvHeader information, linked by the Invoice Number field to show the InvItems records.

Note, the suggestions are a concept only, and the specifics may need to be altered based on the contents if the Q&A  records.  Example, maybe you can't use Invoice number as the common field, maybe you need something different like data and/ or time and/or record and/or Customer's PO, etc.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #19 - Apr 8th, 2004 at 10:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Walt,

In order to get from a flat Q&A file into a naturally linked form/subform in Sesame, you'll have to do it in steps. Q&A has no way to organize or export the info in such a way that Sesame knows what you want, so you need to use Sesame to do the reorganization.

1. From Q&A, export only the Header info from the Invoice records. Make sure you include a single field that identifies the invoice.

2. From Q&A, export each "row" of line item fields from the Invoice records. Make sure you include a single field that identifies the invoice itself.

3. Use the operating system or Notepad to tack all the line item files together into a single file. Do not concatenate in the file with the Header info.

4. In Sesame, build your Form and subform, relationally linked by whatever field you exported to identify the invoice.

5. Import the Header records to the Invoice database.

6. Import the Line Item records to the Line Item database.

7. You should now have relationally linked invoices with all the line items. If you wish, you can follow the steps detailed in another thread to change over to a natural link.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 3:06am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika wrote Quote:
In order to get from a flat Q&A file into a naturally linked form/subform in Sesame, you'll have to do it in steps.

Something that worked for me was to simply export all the info from all the fields in the Q&A DTF at once, into one export file. Then I selectively imported from that file with mutiple imports using [Ignore Column] repeatedly so that I could pluck just the fields I wanted on each pass.

This saved me from manually editing in Notepad.

(Hope I didn't forget something, it's late and I'm pulling this from memory out of a very sleepy brain. Smiley)

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2004 at 3:56am
Print Post Print Post  
I did multipe copy/exports.  One pass for each line.  Revtrieve all records where linex is not blank.  Copy/Export the  Invoice(Key) value, plus all of the items for that line, including a line number.  If no line number existed before, create a field for each line and do a mass update to create the line numbers before trying to take out the data.

Do one Copy/Export for alll of the header (common) information on all records.  Will normally have to modiry process for totals of line items, etc..  But since this is being brought into Sesame, only need to have the fields in place, will do the programming in Sesame to replace the XPosting type of steps this would have required in Q&A.

Endup with two databases:  Invoice Header, and Invoice Items, one record for every line item that was in original database.  Still have the original database intact.  And also have a backup that I made before this whole process.

Should now be able to bring into Sesame with either natural or relational links.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #22 - Apr 10th, 2004 at 7:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hammer, Carl, Bob,
Thanks for your help!

Erika, the steps you outline end up with relational links, which would then need to be converted to natural for faster performance.
However, couldn't I go directly to natural link by creating naturally linked empty form/subform, then importing the complete ASCII file including both header and line items in a single pass per page 322 of the User Guide?

You could, but you would need to do some pretty hefty munging of your header and line items files to get them into a single file of the correct format for the hierarchical import. If you do the relational link, then export the data from Sesame, it will create the hierarchical import file for you. You can then switch to natural links, import the exported file, and you're good to go.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #23 - Apr 11th, 2004 at 12:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Erika,

Forgot that I can't export the required hierarchical ASCII file from the Q&A database.  Do you have any ideas on how to make Q&A fake it?  Sure would save a ton of time.

If I did, I'd have told you in the first place.  Grin

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print