Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Sbasic tutorial or reference books?? (Read 7008 times)
jyellis
Members

No personal text

Sbasic tutorial or reference books??
Apr 21st, 2004 at 2:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can anyone refer me to a website or book regarding Sbasic programming.  I'm struggling with this and would appreciate any direction.  (Yes, I have read the Sesame programming guide more than once, its a start...but I need more help)

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sbasic tutorial or reference books??
Reply #1 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 3:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
I am currently in the process of preparing a 2 day SBasic seminar. Is this something you would be interested in attending, once it's ready to go?

Meanwhile, if you post specific questions, we'll try to help.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

jyellis
Members

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 3:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes I would be, if possible

IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can you say where and approximately when you were thinking you might hold this seminar?  Upcoming travel plans are being formulated. Thanks.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 4:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Can you say where and approximately when you were thinking you might hold this seminar?  Upcoming travel plans are being formulated. Thanks.

It would depend on where the people are who want to come. We'll probably send out a survey of some kind to determine locations. It's still in the development stages. Would you be interested in attending?

- Hammer
IP Logged

johnbits

No personal text

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 5:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes, I would.  Currently I am located in Northern Wisconsin, but travel to Ohio (Cincinnati area) and other locations for business. Obviously timing as well as location is always a factor.  And...thanks for the quick response!  <I suppose an all-expenses included Hawaii seminar is out of the question....>

John

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 5:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
<I suppose an all-expenses included Hawaii seminar is out of the question....>

*sigh* In my fun-filled sun-drenched dreams...  8)

Ah, well. While we're on the subject, is anyone else interested in attending such a thing, and where are you?

- Hammer
IP Logged

jyellis
Members

No personal text

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 5:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Don't forget us Texans!!!!

IP Logged

GJK

Felix qui potuit rerum
cognoscere causas

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 5:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Since these are midwesterners showing some interest, how about Chicago?

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #9 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 6:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Oh yes, I would love that !!!

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Sbasic tutorial or reference books?
Reply #10 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 7:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Following up on original question from john ellis.....

This raises the issue of a number of questions regarding Sesame and Sbasic.  Questions I have no good answers for at this time for my clients.  Many businesses today do not want to be single sourced for their programming.  If something happens to me, how easy will it be to hire someone else who knows this language?  How big is the population of Sbasic developers?

Sbasic almost seems to be a generic language.  Can you be more specific about what Sbasic you are talking about?

Reading Appendix 1 of the Programming Guide seems to imply that your references to Sbasic apply to the language that is used only by Sesame.  It sounds like this is a proprietary language, and no compiler/decompilers are available for use by other developers?  Is this a new proprietary language, "SesameBasic", or Sbasic for short?
============================

If not a proprietary language, than a few more questions:

An earlier posting made reference to Andreas' response to additions to Sbasic.  Is this a version developed by him?

Or, is this the same Sbasic  created by Karl Lunt severa years ago?  Is this his SBasic68K (SB68K), current version 2.7, last updated in 2001?

Or, is this the same Sbasic created by Ken Simms in 1974?

Or, is this another version of Sbasic as developed by FLTK, the underpinnings of Sesame?

Or, is this a version of Sbasic as developed by Lantica or Hammer Data Systems? 

Or, some other version of Sbasic?

Can you point out where this version of Sbasic and compiler can be purchased or evaluated?

Can you point out any publications specialized in this Sbasic?  Manuals, periodicals, textbooks, CDs, tapes, etc.?
Is there anything available besides the Sesame Programming Guide?  Any source of information re internal errors that result in "Contact Technical Support?"  I still have my 3" Support Center Manual from Symantec with all of the error code details.  This was invaluable, any such tools available for Sesame, from Lantica or other parties?
===============================

If this is a proprietary language, then I suspect the only source of information is the Sesame Programming Guide.
It will also mean that we will not be able to see any third party Add-Ons that can be integrated into Sesame.   The only new tools will be programming functions that can be created by third parties and those can only be made using the commands provided at the user level, and they cannot be compiled, they may have to consist of many lines of code.

It becomes an easier sell for Sesame vs. other products when I can let my clients know that they have the flexibility to do many more things if they take the time to learn SesameBasic vs. VisualBasic.  They will also be able to expect products made available by other parties besides Lantica to add bells and whistles, to integrate with other applications, etc.

So, I guess what I have concluded, if Sbasic is a proprietary language,  is the need to find out if there are any plans for a Sesame SDK (Software Development Kit)?
Will this have the tools to integrate with other applications using languages other than SesameBasic?
If yes, what time frame, cost estimates?

Are any figures available re the established Sesame population today?  Is it going to be worth it to develop any Add-Ons, Integration utilities?  What other companies and products are written using SesameBasic?  These questions are asked today and there are no good answers yet.  Should someone go off to learn SesameBasic, to help with one program, or go to a session for VisualBasic where they can learn how to program for multiple products, from multiple vendors using a more generic language?

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Or, is this the same Sbasic  created by Karl Lunt several years ago?  Is this his SBasic68K (SB68K), current version 2.7, last updated in 2001?

You forgot the SBasic "invented" by Steve Garland in 1976.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sbasic tutorial or reference books?
Reply #12 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 8:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Following up on original question from john ellis.....

This raises the issue of a number of questions regarding Sesame and Sbasic.  Questions I have no good answers for at this time for my clients.  Many businesses today do not want to be single sourced for their programming.  If something happens to me, how easy will it be to hire someone else who knows this language?  How big is the population of Sbasic developers?

As Sesame is less than six months old, I'm not what the "population" of SBasic developers is. SBasic is a flavor of Basic which follows simple and standard programming rules. If you know Basic, you already know SBasic. It's just a matter of using the command reference to get the specific commands for our library.

Quote:
Sbasic almost seems to be a generic language.  Can you be more specific about what Sbasic you are talking about?

SBasic is Sesame's built-in programming language created by Andreas Goebel.

Quote:
Reading Appendix 1 of the Programming Guide seems to imply that your references to Sbasic apply to the language that is used only by Sesame.  It sounds like this is a proprietary language, and no compiler/decompilers are available for use by other developers?

It is a proprietary language. In order to maintain the same syntax and commands as Q&A, we wrote our own language and compiler. SBasic can be run standalone, but only certain commands are available as SBasic standalone would  have no access to a Form on any other element of Sesame itself.

Quote:
Is this a new proprietary language, "SesameBasic", or Sbasic for short?

Yes.

Quote:
============================

If not a proprietary language, than a few more questions:

An earlier posting made reference to Andreas' response to additions to Sbasic.  Is this a version developed by him?

Yes.

Quote:
Or, is this the same Sbasic  created by Karl Lunt severa years ago?  Is this his SBasic68K (SB68K), current version 2.7, last updated in 2001?

No.

Quote:

No.

Quote:
Or, is this another version of Sbasic as developed by FLTK, the underpinnings of Sesame?

FLTK is a gui toolkit. It has nothing to do with the programming language.

Quote:
Or, is this a version of Sbasic as developed by Lantica or Hammer Data Systems?

There are no other "versions" of what we call SBasic other than the one written for Sesame. 

Quote:
Or, some other version of Sbasic?

No.

Quote:
Can you point out where this version of Sbasic and compiler can be purchased or evaluated?

In Sesame.

Quote:
Can you point out any publications specialized in this Sbasic?  Manuals, periodicals, textbooks, CDs, tapes, etc.?

The newsletter, Inside Sesame. If anyone wants to produce any third party reference materials, feel free!

Quote:
Is there anything available besides the Sesame Programming Guide?

Lots of articles and stuff, but no formal publications.

Quote:
Any source of information re internal errors that result in "Contact Technical Support?"

You mean other than contacting Technical Support? Any error that says Contact Technical Support is so severe and internal to the language itself that you won't be able to do anything about it without the source code for Sesame. And, no, you really can't have that.

Quote:
I still have my 3" Support Center Manual from Symantec with all of the error code details.  This was invaluable, any such tools available for Sesame, from Lantica or other parties?

Well, since that stuff appeared when Q&A was already about 15-20 years old, talk to us in 20 years and I'll see what we can do.

Quote:
If this is a proprietary language, then I suspect the only source of information is the Sesame Programming Guide.
It will also mean that we will not be able to see any third party Add-Ons that can be integrated into Sesame.   The only new tools will be programming functions that can be created by third parties and those can only be made using the commands provided at the user level, and they cannot be compiled, they may have to consist of many lines of code.

Just the opposite. Sesame is written in such a way that outside developers can completely rewrite the entire client if they wish. That protocol is currently being used to develop utilities internally, but is likely to be made available to third-party developers in the future.

Quote:
It becomes an easier sell for Sesame vs. other products when I can let my clients know that they have the flexibility to do many more things if they take the time to learn SesameBasic vs. VisualBasic.  They will also be able to expect products made available by other parties besides Lantica to add bells and whistles, to integrate with other applications, etc.

SBasic is nowhere near as versatile as VisualBasic. It's also not anywhere near as gigantic and complicated. It's a question of what your client actually needs. Do they actually need a huge swiss army knife like VB? If not, they may prefer a smaller, yet powerful language like SBasic.

Quote:
So, I guess what I have concluded, if Sbasic is a proprietary language,  is the need to find out if there are any plans for a Sesame SDK (Software Development Kit)?
Will this have the tools to integrate with other applications using languages other than SesameBasic?

Yes.

Quote:
If yes, what time frame, cost estimates?

Sesame is less than six months old, Bob. It's gonna be awhile before we turn our attention past user features, past consultant tools, all the way out to external development API's. We'll let you know. Cost estimates? No clue.

Quote:
Are any figures available re the established Sesame population today?  Is it going to be worth it to develop any Add-Ons, Integration utilities?  What other companies and products are written using SesameBasic?  These questions are asked today and there are no good answers yet.  Should someone go off to learn SesameBasic, to help with one program, or go to a session for VisualBasic where they can learn how to program for multiple products, from multiple vendors using a more generic language?

I sincerely hope that Sesame becomes the most popular and widely used product ever created. However, as a developer, fortune-telling isn't really my gig.  With only a few months of history, I really can't predict how we will compete in the long run against Microsoft and Oracle.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #13 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 8:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Walt, I like the animation you have. It is very appropo to your style!!!! (beating the drums). It is truly hilarious. I really admire your jokes and at times it makes me laugh for a long period of time, to the extent that someone will feel I had lost it all. Thanks.

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #14 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I know it is not drums but very well it can serve as drums in its absence !!  Smiley
« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2004 at 9:33pm by Bharat_Naik »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print