Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A suggestion for a future release. (Read 4166 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: A suggestion for a future release.
Reply #15 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 4:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
If it's from the previous version, you should start fresh, rather than continuing to work with a corrupted app. I remember cleaning the artifacts out of a version for you, but you may have restored or reconciled a corrupted structure at some point.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #16 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 5:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
The work you did for me was removing a database that was "lost' somewhere.

How "fresh" do I need to start? create a new app and "merge my database (and forms) into it?

Thanks!

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #17 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 5:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Merging in your Forms won't help. That's where the corruption is. You need to delete the Form completely and rebuild it. You don't need to rebuild the underlying database, just the Form.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #18 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 6:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not the news I wanted to hear, but it could be worse.

It sounds like a lot of work. Before i tear into it, please help me to understand your instructions.

1. Delete form named Invoice 3 ( and form named Invoice since Invoice 3 is a COPY of invoice.) This will also delete the Subforms that are placed on the form. Corect? Do I need to rebuild those, too?

2. Create a new Form under Inoice called Invoice 3. Create New LE's and Bind them to the correct fields in the Invoice Database.

3. copy and paste all my programming into the correct programming functions. (Can I just cut and paste the entire thing at one time?)

4. Put my subforms back into the forms.

5. Hope that I dont have to do this again when ver 1.0.4 comes out ?   Cry

Thanks
Steve In Texas

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #19 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 7:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Not the news I wanted to hear, but it could be worse.

It sounds like a lot of work. Before i tear into it, please help me to understand your instructions.

1. Delete form named Invoice 3 ( and form named Invoice since Invoice 3 is a COPY of invoice.) This will also delete the Subforms that are placed on the form. Corect? Do I need to rebuild those, too?

2. Create a new Form under Inoice called Invoice 3. Create New LE's and Bind them to the correct fields in the Invoice Database.

3. copy and paste all my programming into the correct programming functions. (Can I just cut and paste the entire thing at one time?)

4. Put my subforms back into the forms.

5. Hope that I dont have to do this again when ver 1.0.4 comes out ?   Cry

Thanks
Steve In Texas

Steve,

You do not need to delete your subforms. You only need to delete the corrupted form. This will delete the Subform Elements on that Form, but not the subforms themselves.

You will need to paste your programming into the new form, event by event, so make sure you export your programming to a file before deleting the corrupted form.

This has nothing to do with changing versions, so you won't have to rebuild your forms every time you upgrade. You encountered a bug in 1.0.2 that corrupted one of your Forms. That form needs to be rebuilt.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #20 - Apr 27th, 2004 at 7:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for clarifing. I'll get started rebuilding!

Steve in texas

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 1:46am
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

I ran into the same error I that you fixed for me a few weeks ago.

I deleted the Layouts as you suggested above, and began to rebuild them by creating new LE's and binding them to the existing fields in the database.

About half way through, I noticed that a database that was used only as a subform on the deleted Invoice form has disappeared.(It was called LineItems, you can probably see it in the file I sent you on Monday)

When trying to create a new one, I get an error message that "the database name is already in use" but I can not see it in the tree to delete it. Trim database does not show it either.

What do you suggest? I would hate to rebuild the entire thing from scratch. Is it worth sending to you so you can go in with "tweezers" as you did before?

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #22 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 10:53am
Print Post Print Post  
You can send it to me, but it will be next week before I can clear it out and get it back to you. I'll be out of town until Tuesday.

I wonder if deleting a layout is how you keep creating this condition? I'll have somebody do some testing on this.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #23 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 11:23am
Print Post Print Post  
It just occured to me that you may not have done this "again". We know that, at some point, you went back to a corrupted version of your application. You may simply have gotten back to where the problem originally existed, before it was fixed last time.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #24 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 2:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I believe I have just been using the version that you cleaned up for me. You 'plucked' out a database called Inven then emailed it back to me and I continued to build on that app.

I think this condition is being created by deleteing the forms Invoice and Invoice3, then use "Manage Fields" to  delete all 'subrecord feilds'. The Inventory database will then disappear and cannot be recovered.

Thanks!
Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print