Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) I would like to put my records in order. (Read 1250 times)
jenni

No personal text

I would like to put my records in order.
Apr 29th, 2004 at 1:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
They have already been entered into the database, but not in any kind of order.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!  Grin

IP Logged

jenni

No personal text

Re: I would like to put my records in order.
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 2:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
I guess the only way that I can do this is by sorting the view through the spec window.

That's not too hard.

IP Logged

jenni

No personal text

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 2:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Now that I have that figured out, I have a different problem.

The indicator shows that I have 7 records when I only have 5. There is one blank record in the start of the set and another blank record at the end.

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 3:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
The reason for these blank records is that when performing a search in sesame if you continue past the end of the results it will start automatically creating records. I am currently trying to resolve this issue as well there is a way to have it return to the previous record but I haven't been having much luck with it not creating a record wen there is on element entry programming.

IP Logged

jenni

No personal text

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Good luck with that!

I Hope you're having as much fun programming as I am having by trying to figure out how Sesame works!

I have to learn bits and pieces as I go because I have other tasks to complete on my job. I only have a limited amount of time every week to work with Sesame.

That's why I ask so many questions. It's hard to locate my answers in the user guide when I hardly know what i'm talking about or looking for.

This forum works so well.

Learning how to operate Sesame is the most exciting part of my job so far.  Wink

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 3:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Glad to help, I also only have small amounts of time to work on it in the day. Luckily I have a strong database & programming background to help me find what i'm looking for and yes the forums are great for getting help Smiley

IP Logged

jenni

No personal text

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 4:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
This forum works better than using the telephone or email, in my opinion.

I am able to search through questions that have already been resolved and sometimes find answers on  my own.

If that doesn't work, someone always gets back to me in a very timely manner.

This is my little way of saying "thank you" to the support team. I'm glad they are a patient bunch!  Grin

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 12:56am
Print Post Print Post  
You can set up a default sort, and your records will then be sorted in the order you want, every time you open the application.  There is an excellent article "Handy Searching and Sorting Options, by Gordon Meigs in the May 2004 issue of Inside Sesame, that explains this very thing.  Go to http://www.insidesesame.com ; to subscribe to this newsletter.  It's about $109 per year.  That's a few cents over $9 per month.  You can't beat that for some excellent information, tips, article, and programming that you can copy/paste into your applications, not to mention that there are sometimes files provided that demo what the article is about!  I think there are 2 such files in the May issue.

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 1:02am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
The reason for these blank records is that when performing a search in sesame if you continue past the end of the results it will start automatically creating records. I am currently trying to resolve this issue as well there is a way to have it return to the previous record but I haven't been having much luck with it not creating a record wen there is on element entry programming.

Here's an example of programming that will take you back to the last record in the result set if you advanced past the last record...

If @Update and title = "" and keywords = "" and summary = ""
{
@Msg("Returned you to previous record.")
resultSetCurrentPosition(@resultSetCurrentPosition() - 1)
}

In this programming, I have layout elements named Title, Keywords, and Summary.  If I am in Update, and these three fields are blank (which usually means that I have hit F10 after the last record in my result set), then I get the @Msg, and I am returned to the previous record.

I'm not sure if this will work in your application, but it might.  Modify the layout element names as needed, and see if it works.

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 1:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have done a little implementation of that return to previous record code. the only problem is that I have on element entry programming on the form. This executes first and it ends up still creating the blank records. It will take a bit of time to work out how to correct things.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 10:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can you make the first element be something that does not have on element entry programming? Having the first element on a form make changes upon entry will cause a similar problem for you even if you are in ADD mode (i.e. creating a new, mostly blank, record just by advancing with F10 to save the previous one).

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged