Normal Topic Structure benefits (Read 1068 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Structure benefits
Apr 23rd, 2004 at 7:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Erika.

I know this has probably been covered in various postings, but I am wondering if you could point to a good source, or provide your own explanation, identifying the various advantages/benefits of database structures: flatfile vs. relational vs. hierarchical.  An emphasis on the differences between hierarchical and relational would really be appreciated.

Maybe something like a table/spreadsheet with comparison of features,  Features listed in the left hand column and three columns to the right for each of the structure options.

Looking at some type of decision tree to help clarify the options on how to set up Sesame structure.   Would be nice to have some type of summary available to point the varioius tradeoffs.

Information about translating, importing, XLU programming needs, report designs, relational dependencies, etc. would be very helpful.

Possibly the only advantage(s) of a flat file in Sesame is that it can be immediately translated from Q&A?  Easiest to create from scratch for inexperienced database users.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Structure benefits
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 8:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

I'd like to comply, but this is way outside the scope of a Forum post. I just plain don't have time right now to sit down and prepare a treatise comparing different theories of database design and structure, complete with tables and diagrams. What you are asking for can (and already does) fill a book.

Here's the quick summary:
Flat: Simple, fast, not very flexible.
Hierarchical: One-to-Many relationship only; faster than full relational, but less flexible; slower than flat, but more flexible.
Relational: Very flexible, slow.

For more detail, there are a number of books written on this subject and quite a bit of material available by searching the web.

I'm not sure how to answer your question about Q&A translation. Q&A translation creates a flat Sesame application. Since Q&A databases are flat, that's the only thing it can create.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 8:23pm
Print Post Print Post  
You are correct, there is a lot out there, part of my problem, too much.  And your summary is more brief than I would like (Thanks, I understand your problem).

Of all the info that is out there, could you recommend one or two references/authors for me to look at?  Hate to purchase the wrong stuff.  I am still struggling with my own personal transition from relational to hierarchical, and want to better understand. 

Thanks again for listening.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2004 at 8:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
When looking at Sesame's hierarchical model - you might be better off looking into "network model" databases. This has nothing to do with networks as in TCP/IP and Novell - or wires on the floor. This has to do with the relationship between records.

It is a lot like the web and web pages. If you view each web page as being a record, there may or may not be any "data relationship" (as in matching fields) between one web page and one that it points to (with a hyperlink) - yet there may well be a parent / child relationship. Any one web page may point off at many others - and many might point at it.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2004 at 5:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks, Mark, all help is welcome.  Not yet happy with my comprehension of the background structures.  Won't be happy until I satifsy my own internal levels of understanding.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

jondolar

Keep Trying

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2004 at 10:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
The two following sites give some description of all database models including hierarchical, network and relational database models.

http://unixspace.com/context/databases.html

http://www.frick-cpa.com/ss7/Theory_Models.asp#Hierarchy

Enjoy

Serge

When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like nail!

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2004 at 7:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the links jondolar.  Just saw the reply, will take a look at them over the next few days.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged