Normal Topic Hidden LE's for special purposes (Read 653 times)
Justin_ICC

Hidden LE's for special purposes
Apr 29th, 2004 at 3:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I've been doing some thinking about using hidden LE's/tab pages to store system internal information (ie date & time stamps, security, allowing posting of notes to other accounts).

I was thinking of creating a series of LE's for more customizable security, and having programming retrieve results from a users database to get the interal permissions.

Too simplify we have 3 databases one with the persons information one for notes on the account and one for payments. We want it to add a note to the persons note database when a payment is entered automatically. I was wondering if it is possible to use the programming CreateNewRecord function to create a line on a hidden subform - has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Justin

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Hidden LE's for special purposes
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2004 at 3:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Justin,

Sorry to see you havent gotten a reply on this yet. Usually responses are posted within a day or so. Could be vacation time for some.

I'm only a beginner Sesame user, but I think you can certainly do what you metioned above.

Ive done something similar using unbound but visible Le's. I created a main console that all users are sent to upon opening Sesame or closing a databse. The console has a bunch of buttons that run programming or macros to run secific searches or reports. There is a "Control panel" which is a group of LEs that allow them to key in information such as tax rate for their location, Email address, date, time, etc. When the user leaves thei main console, this data is put into "Global Values" and stored there until they change it later.

Global values are very powerful and convenient. If you arent aware of them, you definately need to look into them.

Let me know how it goes. I hope to learn more from you and others of this forum.

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2004 at 8:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have you considered using XPOST to append to a notes field in the person's database?  The actual element does not even need to be opened so making it Invisible doesn't matter.

But you can use elements on forms even thought they are invisible to users.  Sesame can still see/use them. 

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004 at 11:39am
Print Post Print Post  
I can't use xpost as it is meant to create a new record with a noteline not appened to an existing note. I knew I could access LE's when invisible I just wasn't sure with subforms as I haven't tried it yet.

IP Logged