Normal Topic F10 key  vs Enter key (Read 1156 times)
JohhnyB

No personal text

F10 key  vs Enter key
May 4th, 2004 at 11:37am
Print Post Print Post  
Why does Q&A and now Sesame use the F10 key to record data.   Why not use the enter key?   The problem i have with this  is,  it is non-standard and doesn't mesh very well with other purchased software where the user is expected to use the enter key to create a record.   can you map the enter key to , in fact, be the Enter key??  somehow,  i suspect this may be in archived files.

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Re: F10 key  vs Enter key
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2004 at 1:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can you give some examples of purchased software programs that use the ENTER key to create a new record?  I'll admit that I don't have a handle on many of the software packages available, so I am curious about this issue. 

To give you a little history (and to test my memory and show my age perhaps), back when Q&A was in its infancy and I started using version 2.0 around 1989 or maybe earlier, IBM computers and "compatibles" running DOS had keyboards that had the F1-F12 (or was it just F1-F10?) keys down the left side, in 2 vertical rows.  Hitting the F10 key with the little finger of the left hand was analogous to using the right-hand little finger to hit the ENTER key. So Q&A used the F10 key to "save" a record and put a blank new record on-screen for the user, and it was convenient. When keyboards changed layouts, Q&A kept the F10 sequence to save a record.  Sesame has incorporated many of the Q&A keyboard shortcuts, so the F10 has prevailed as the method of saving a record.

Also, because Q&A could handle lengthy text fields, and had a word processor, it was probably felt that the ENTER key (also labeled and known as the RETURN key way back when) which generated a carriage return in the word processor, should not be used to save a record.

In spreadsheet software such as Excel, using the ENTER key moves down to a new row, or "record".  However, in Sesame, if you are looking at a database in Table view (Shift-F6), then pressing ENTER moves you across the row, through the fields of the current record.  I can see that this might be confusing.

I don't think it is possible in Sesame to map the ENTER key to save a record.  I don't recall seeing this on any of the messages, but you could search them to see if it has been discussed.  The use of programmable keyboards might be something you would want to consider, if these are still available.  I know quite a few years ago, Gateway had such.

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2004 at 1:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
The main reason a lot of database software does not use the enter key to move to a new record specifically for long note lines. Otherwise they then have to have special keys to add a carriage return to a long note line. F10 isn't that unusual it just takes a bit of getting used to. In Sesame it would be better to get into the habbit of pressing ctrl+f10 as this also commits subforms regardless if you are in the main or the subform. Whereas F10 would try to create or move to the next record of a subform if it was in the subform instead of advancing to the next "main" record.

Justin

IP Logged

JohhnyB

No personal text

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2004 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Here is an example.  In   Peachtree,  a very popular accounting package,  to do the task of General Journal Entries,  you go to Task,  Select Journal Entries,  a screen opens, and you enter the journal entry records one by one.  to move to the next record, touch the enter key.   when you are done,  you are asked to save your work.  click.   but you are correct in that it is not all that straight forward either.  i thought it was,  but it is a two step process. 

can you think of a software tool other than sesame that uses F10 to make a record.  what does Access do?

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2004 at 7:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
I didn't meant that most use F10 to advance records what I meant was that most don't use Enter. Microsoft access uses ctrl+PgUp or PgDwn, in most databases enter jumps to the next field.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2004 at 11:16am
Print Post Print Post  
In Q&A, you can record a macro that only contains an F10 keypress, and assign Control-Enter as the macro identifier (shortcut key). You cannot use Enter because that would indicate NO shortcut key.

The problem is I do NOT think you can assign a shortcut key in Sesame.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

JohhnyB

No personal text

Reply #6 - May 5th, 2004 at 4:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Can you program like a radio button to say " if i touch this button, do the lookup or userselect. "  then it becomes basically a progammable key, just like F4 would be ??

IP Logged

JohhnyB

No personal text

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2004 at 7:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
geez,  the above followup question was meant for my other outstanding question about limiting the automatic lookup that happens when you program by event key.  had a brain f**t.

IP Logged