Normal Topic Designing and printing reports such as Invoices (Read 505 times)
jondolar

Keep Trying

Designing and printing reports such as Invoices
May 11th, 2004 at 4:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi everyone

Has anyone produced an invoice application with monthly statement ouf account? If so how do you deal with the precise placement of elements particularly in the header and footer.

The reason for asking this question is that in the user manual, in section 14 - Designing Reports, on pages 342 and 343, it is stated that concerning: Page Header, Page Footer and Page Break, ....HTML does not respect the concept of "Pages", so elements placed in these sections may not behave predictably....

This could potentially be a real problem since the invoice has specific dimentions (page breaks) and that header is prime real estate that could contain a lot of information along with the client's Logo. The footer would contain summary information as well.

I'm not that familiar with HTML. Maybe it is possible to tweak the placement of elements in a way that is acceptable to HTML and acceptable to your design i.e. elements placed exactly where you want.

I know that it is possible programatically to specify many element attributes (position, font type, size etc.) but I find that not very practical.

TIA

Serge

When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like nail!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Designing and printing reports such as Invoice
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2004 at 4:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
If you need precise placement and maximum use of printable area, you are probably better off using PrintString to assemble your Invoice programmatically.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

jondolar

Keep Trying

Re: Designing and printing reports such as Invoice
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2004 at 6:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika.

I was aware of that (see the last paragraph of my post). I'm still looking for an easier solution like with FileMaker Pro where a layout is a layout wether to input data, look at data or print data. FMP does not use HTML so it is free of the constraints imposed by HTML.

There's got to be a simpler way with the report designer.  I still would like to hear from people who designed a billing application and hear about what they have to say about printing invoices.

Regards

Serge

When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like nail!

IP Logged