Normal Topic How do you remove unwanted decimals? (Read 765 times)
robwood_ok

No personal text

How do you remove unwanted decimals?
May 20th, 2004 at 1:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
How do you remove unwanted decimal places in the actual database?  I can force Sesame to display a field with no decimals, but because the datebase has the decimals stored, for exports, imports, table views, etc., I keep having to get rid of trailing zeroes on whole number fields.

I used Q&A for 15 years, and Sesame is great for data entry, but I am so frustrated after months of struggling with SIMPLE printing and exporting IMPOSSIBILITIES in Sesame that I am a ready to give up on it.

Robert

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: How do you remove unwanted decimals?
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2004 at 1:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame stores numbers as actual numbers. Numbers are stored with precision, which means decimal places. It is on our list for future versions to increase the exporting options to respect output formats, so that you can increase your control over exported data. At the moment, however, data is exported raw.

If the need is immediate and the program into which you import the data cannot format your data as you wish, you can create a Text field and use programming to set it's value equal to your Number field, formatted however you like.

As to your printing issues, tools like PrintString are quite powerful. If you post specific questions, we'll try to help. I looked at your past posts. Your questions have regarded specialty items like Keyword reports and hanging indents, neither of which are "simple" requirements. Do want to post some of the simple printing issues you are having, so we can try to help you out?   Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - May 20th, 2004 at 2:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
You can use the file I/O commands to create exactly the export file you want (virtually any conceivable ASCII format) with any level of numeric precision.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 20th, 2004 at 3:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Beyond using the file I/O commands to open a file, it is also possible and useful to use them to open devices like PRN:, LPT1:, CON:, etc... In fact you can even use them to send the printer device codes - just like in Q&A.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged