Normal Topic sbasic vs. qbasic vs. vbasic (Read 1892 times)
JohhnyB

No personal text

sbasic vs. qbasic vs. vbasic
May 14th, 2004 at 7:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
If i wanted to buy a book on basic,  what version of basic is most like Sbasic?   Qbasic, RealBasic, visual basic?   does this version of sbasic have anything to do with Karl Lunk?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: sbasic vs. qbasic vs. vbasic
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2004 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
If i wanted to buy a book on basic,  what version of basic is most like Sbasic?   Qbasic, RealBasic, visual basic?   does this version of sbasic have anything to do with Karl Lunk?

Pretty much, unrelated - other than being a flavor of Basic. No relation at all to Karl Lunt's SBasic for 68xx series machines (used mostly, now, for robot control). Nor the Structured Basic ("SBasic") developed at Dartmouth by the inventor of Basic.

SBasic is most closely related to Q&A Basic. SBasic is (almost) a superset of Q&A Basic. So the best guides would be the Sesame programming manual, followed by Q&A programming texts. After that, this forum is a great place for specific information and examples. It is regularly read by the author of the SBasic language and runtime environment, and the author of the SBasic runtime library. There are also a lot of examples posted here. Additionally, Inside Sesame (http://www.insidesesame.com) regularly publishes articles about SBasic and Sesame.

SBasic does not support from Q&A Basic:
=================================
field numbering (translated away)
multiple args to "X" functions
soundex functions

SBasic adds to Q&A Basic
======================
approximately 70 new built-in functions and subroutines
loop control structures ("for" loops and "while" loops)
variables
arrays
user defined functions and subroutines
several new events
device I/O

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

JohhnyB

No personal text

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2004 at 8:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
well, that seems unfortunate.   You are telling me there is no college textbook,  no college coursework,  no books on the market that have anything to contribute to the development of Sesame other than the "programming Guide".    Seems like a recipe for failure.    I like what i have seen so far of sesame  but such a product will be swamped by the competition.  as a former IBM AS/400 RPG programmer,  I know the difficulty of being off the beaten path.      

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2004 at 9:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
That would be case if we were not so closely associated with a well established, popular, and well documented product.

We are off the beaten path to be on a very specific and well documented path. We are, for the most part, compatible with Q&A Basic, which is more than twenty years old, used by over a million licensees, and very well documented. There are at least ten books that cover Q&A basic, and I certainly hope as many will be written for Sesame in the next twenty years.

We will, in time, provide additional programming interfaces that are based on actually standardized languages - but given that we will be all of six months old tomorrow, it is *much* more important that we are compatible with the very well documented Q&A Basic (90% of our current market) than that we support "college textbook" sales.

Additionally, because SBasic is very simple any textbook that covers the use of loops, functions, and variables, is more than sufficient (with the programmers manual) to get started. We are clearly aimed at the SOHO market, and further complexity is unwanted.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2004 at 1:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
      I know the difficulty of being off the beaten path.      

JohhnyB,

The point you make on available learning material is extremely valid. Good learning material is extremely important for users to have so they can improve there skills and build quality applications with Sesame. The good news is I have seen the rough draft copies of some of the educational materials that will be provided with the future educational classes on Sbasic and they are Awesome!

Not being a Lantican I can not speak for them, but as a user I realize they are in a tough position. Many of the first core customers I see and have spoken with who are the ones migrating from QA are not interested in learning a programming language at all. Many already are wondering why it is so much more complicated then there beloved QA. Many have not taken the time to really go through the manuals and tutorials to become somewhat proficient at using Sesame and Sbasic. These users want a very basic easy to use database that does a lot of basic things simply and easily without to many bells and whistles.

I believe Lantica has provided such a product. Sesame can be used out of the box without much fuss to accomplish many tasks. Very little learning is involved to accomplish many of the basic database features. At the same time they have laid the groundwork for users who want more features, more control and more sophisticated applications.  From a user standpoint I get the best of all worlds, a building block approach to my application. I can start with the basic and if I desire to put the effort in and learn more, I can add much more power to my application.

Unfortunately for the Lanticans this wonderful point for the users places them in a very tough spot. The basic users complain it is to complicated and the more advanced users complain it is not sophisticated enough and some of us in the middle want more documentation so we can get to the point were we can complain we need more features.

Thank you Lanticans for giving us a product that is so versatile and gives our applications the ability to grow in the future. I appreciate the hard work and incredible customer service you guys and gals give. I wish half of my employees cared  about my products and customers as much as your team has proven to me how much you all care about your products and customers. You guys and gals are the tops!

I am only one user but I know my feelings are felt by many others and with customer loyalty a great product and time you will make Sesames path the beaten path.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

JohhnyB

No personal text

Reply #5 - May 17th, 2004 at 3:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Well we will see how it goes.   There is not doubt sesame is an attractive tool.  The president of this company wrote many applications in Q&A.   As a programmer,  I think they are a mess.   As a president who needed good estimating and production control tools,  they represent  a very important management tool.  We will see where I can take them with Sesame.   
i do not fear my ability to learn Sesame,  it is a little disheartening there are not better educational tools available right now.  What I need is time to work with Sesame.  and that, as usual,  is in short supply.

IP Logged

TJCajun

"Laissez les bons temps
rouler"

Reply #6 - May 17th, 2004 at 8:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
What I need is time to work with Sesame.  and that, as usual,  is in short supply.   

I know exactly what you mean about not having enough time.  I've been involved with Sesame for a long time - as pretty much a "guinea pig" alpha tester.  I still don't know the program very well - I just have NOT had enough time on it.  (As an example, in a simple report, I can't figure out how to suppress repeating values that I've sorted and am doing a "count" of.  If I have 10 records with "Texas", I get 10 lines in my report showing "TX" and then in the next column, my value of 10.   HELP (anyone!) - how do I suppress the 10 lines of "TX"?

But my point of replying is that any time there have been totally new, innovative software products (which is what I consider Sesame, in many ways) put on the market, there was not the documentation and usually 3rd party support immediately available.  Sesame will have to survive, on its own, in the cruel world - and establish itself.  Once that is done, then the other support mechanisms will begin to become available.

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2004 at 7:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I can't figure out how to suppress repeating values that I've sorted and am doing a "count" of.  If I have 10 records with "Texas", I get 10 lines in my report showing "TX" and then in the next column, my value of 10.   HELP (anyone!) - how do I suppress the 10 lines of "TX"?

TJ,

See my reply under this heading: Suppressing Repeating Values in a Report.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged