Normal Topic Need help with Server setup (Read 783 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Need help with Server setup
May 26th, 2004 at 3:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Why would browsing a picture database be about 10 times slower when connecting to a sesame server on a LAN (//NTServer/C: versus connecting to a local server (//Steve/G:) if the photos are all stored in the same place on NTServer?

Details:

Our Peer to Peer network has only 1 hard drive (C: drive) and we launch Sesame Server from this hard drive and users connect to it through our LAN.

This C: drive is "mapped" to all users pc's as Drive G:.

Users Sesame Icons show "Target: C:Sesame\Sesame.exe -client NTserver:xxxxx:xxxx etc" and below shows "Start in: G:Sesame"

All photos are saved on //NTServer/C: (Users drive G:) but pop up MUCH MUCH faster when not connecting to the actual server?!?!

Do I have a setting wrong?

Thanks,
Steve in Texas

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Need help with Server setup
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2004 at 3:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
You might have a setting wrong.

Why are you setting the "Start In" directory to a directory on the server for the client icons? What is the "Start In" path for the server? What is the image path as set in the applications the clients are using?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2004 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
I specified "Start In: G:\Sesame\" so the users dont have to browse to find the Database App.

NTServer icon (used to launch sesame server) reads:
"Start In: C:\Sesame\"

The Application Settings path to pictures typically reads C:\Photos when NTServer is serving Sesame (Very Slow), but I have to change this to G:\Photos if running the server on a local users machine (Much faster)

Of course, this is because //NTServer/C: = //Steve/G:

I considered making a new partition on //NTServer/C: called G: so I dont have to change the App Settings but I dont think this help with the speed issue.

Thanks for the FAST response, by the way! (As usual)

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2004 at 4:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I specified "Start In: G:\Sesame\" so the users dont have to browse to find the Database App.

Use a rootdirs file on the server to start your users in the right directories on the server - no browsing necessary. By setting the "Start In" directory to a network mapped harddrive you are making the net generate twice the necessary traffic.

Quote:
NTServer icon (used to launch sesame server) reads:
"Start In: C:\Sesame\"

That's fine.

Quote:
The Application Settings path to pictures typically reads C:\Photos when NTServer is serving Sesame (Very Slow), but I have to change this to G:\Photos if running the server on a local users machine (Much faster)

Of course, this is because //NTServer/C: = //Steve/G:

When running client/server on two diffferent machines, Sesame has to pass the actual data of the image through the network from the server to the client. Set the rootdirs.ini file and the image path to be relative to the server - not the clients. If either is relative to the client machine, then your data is going through Sesame networking and Windows networking - slowing both down.

Quote:
I considered making a new partition on //NTServer/C: called G: so I dont have to change the App Settings but I dont think this help with the speed issue.

Depends on setup.

Quote:
Thanks for the FAST response, by the way! (As usual)

Steve in Texas

You are welcome. In general, remember that almost all file access is relative to the server, not the client. The only files accessed on the client's harddrives are programming saved/read in ASCII from the programming editor and saved HTML files when doing a Print Form to HTML export. These are notable in that they use a different file dialog.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2004 at 5:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark! Looks like that did it. I think your right. We were "looping" our photos through the network twice.

Thanks again!

Steve in Texas

IP Logged