Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Graphics problem since updating 1.0.2 (Read 3921 times)
The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Graphics problem since updating 1.0.2
Reply #15 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 6:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Mark. I'll send them within the next hour.

They should be black/white images. They are 'captures' from a palm pilot used to grab customers signatures for my Invoice app.

The text should be black on a white background. They all show up perfectly in Acdsee image viewer and MS Paint.

Thanks again for your attention and support.

Steve

From looking at your files, I see a strangeness in their format. About half the programs I have used will not load them. Two of will them load them, but complain, and one loads them (without complaint) but when writing them changes the format. One loads it, but because of the additional planes, believes it to be a true color image (it isn't).

These are single plane monochrome 32-bit .bmp files. Usually a single plane format is an 8 bit image (in that the 24 bits are not actually used).

That's the bad news. The good news is that loading these into just about any non-microsoft image editing program and then saving it again (as a .bmp) will save it as single plane 8-bit .bmp, or a three plane 24-bit .bmp (either is okay with Sesame). I tried this with the image editors: xnview, Kodak Imaging, and Gimp. Unfortunately, it won't work in MSPaint.

The problem Sesame is having with it is that it sees the other 3 planes worth of data and uses them to set the color. But since they are uninitialized values, they "paint" as odd colors.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #16 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thats all "bad news". Will this be fixed in Sesame? It seems that many "POS signature capture devices" may use this format. It would be great it Sesame could handle them.

If not, I guess I'll have to write a batch file that converts the .bmp file (maybe to .jpg to save space).

Thanks again for taking a look.

ps. After converting to .jpg, the file loads into Sesame (using f6) just fine!

Steve

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 6:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm not sure how to "fix it" in Sesame. The image is saying, simultaneously, that it is both a monochrome and a 32-color (with alpha channel) image. Do I believe the color depth variable or the number of planes variable? Every program (non-microsoft) that I have tried reports differently about this format. Are there any options you can set on the device about image format?

BTW: The ImageMagick command line tools (for easy batch conversion) are available for Windows.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 6:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark, my hardware has no options for choosing different formats, unfortunately. Since you don't see an easy Sesame fix, i'll use a batch converter. The one you mentioned "imagemagick" looks perfect! Smiley

Thanks for the tip, and the assistance!

Steve A.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #19 - May 26th, 2004 at 10:42pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark,

When Sesame tries to display a particular damaged .jpg the server crashes and Unlocking database from the admin panel "Fails" each time. We have to use the Sunlock.exe program.

I have seen Sesame handle slightly damaged images, but this one image crashes Sesame everytime.  My other graphics viewers don't crash while displaying this image, but only show the good portion of the image (top half of the image).

Since Sesame is reacting so severly to this problem, I thought I should let you know. I'll email the image to your attention.

Thanks,

Steve in Texas

Edit: We are using ver 1.0.3

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #20 - May 27th, 2004 at 12:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark,

When Sesame tries to display a particular damaged .jpg the server crashes and Unlocking database from the admin panel "Fails" each time. We have to use the Sunlock.exe program.

I have seen Sesame handle slightly damaged images, but this one image crashes Sesame everytime.  My other graphics viewers don't crash while displaying this image, but only show the good portion of the image (top half of the image).

Since Sesame is reacting so severly to this problem, I thought I should let you know. I'll email the image to your attention.

Thanks,

Steve in Texas

Edit: We are using ver 1.0.3

Steve,
Yes that image is very badly corrupted and does crash Sesame. But, on the other hand, I had no problem unlocking the .db file after the crash using the server admin option.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #21 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Strange. I got the message "Failed to unlock database" each time I crashed. The SUnlock tool worked fine, though.

I assume that Sesame will handle moderately damaged images, so we will continue on and assume that the one image was an exception.

Thanks again,

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #22 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
Depends what you mean by "moderately damaged". Sesame will never be as hearty about damage as a dedicated image viewer. Any image viewer that is in production can dedicated all of their development time to dealing with images that in one way or another do not meet specifications.

I would recommend that you build a very simple Sesame application that has an image field (only) and use that to test images (standalone) before letting that image "through" to your production system - especially if you are using client/server and a bad image might interfere with other people working.

We are working to get the Sesame image capabilities to handle a wider range of variations, but as you know that is an ongoing battle. Every couple of days a new variation appears in the public domain.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #23 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,

The reason the Server Administration Unlock is working for Mark and not for you is because Mark was running Sesame Client and Sesame Server on one computer. 

This is intentional so that you have to be on the Server to unlock the database. The reasoning behind this is because someone may have the file open locally on the server and unlocking it could be catastrophic.

You have three options to unlock a database when running Client/Server. They are SUnlock, Sesame Stand-Alone on the server, or a Sesame Client on the server itself.

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #24 - May 27th, 2004 at 1:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark. I did set up a form that allows the user to just view the photos used on our site, but I didn't think to put that form in its own application.

I'll do that.

Thanks again for your help!

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print