Normal Topic Translation Troubles (Read 655 times)
Eric_Nelson

No personal text

Translation Troubles
May 30th, 2004 at 9:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have been trying to translate a DB for some time.  When I try to search or add data, I get the message
"Some or all of the programming in this form has failed to compile.  No event programming will run."

At Hammer's suggestion, I used the programming test procedure (Page 21) to correct many small programming errors tollerated by QA but not in Sesame.  I finally got to the point where I have no detectable programming errors, yet I still get the same error message.

Next, element by element, put a // (double foreslash) at the start of all element programming and tried to search the DB.  I got the same error message.  Finally, I reached the point where all the programming for all elements  has been //ed.  Still, I have the same error message. 

Can anyone help me with this?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Translation Troubles
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2004 at 11:33am
Print Post Print Post  
// only comments out the specific line of code it precedes. To comment out an entire block of code use

/*
..the code..
*/

One thing you might want to check for is a "ghost" element that is referred to in programming. Sesame will allow you to move elements off of your form. Any element not completely contained by your form is a "ghost". It will not be seen or used by Runtime. This can cause your Test in Designer to show no errors, but an error to appear in Runtime.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Eric_Nelson

No personal text

Re: Translation Troubles
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 12:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer-

Thanks for the suggestions.

I took the removed the //s starting every line of code and replaced them with the starting /* and ending */, as you suggested.  I also looked for ghosts.

My problem was completely unrelated.  I hadn't used preview to try out the changes.  In stead I had used Sesame's main module, without reconciling first.  No wonder the corrections wouldn't work.  I feel pretty foolish.

IP Logged