Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Error: Can not open (Read 1990 times)
spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Error: Can not open
Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:35pm
Print Post Print Post  
You guys have got to work on the error meesages.  What does "Can not open" mean, and why would we get it?

We're running client-server.  There seems to be no pattern to this error.

Eric A. Spanitz&&Spanitz Consulting, Inc.&&www.spanitz.com
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Error: Can not open
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Depending on the context is either means that the file is not there or that you do not have permission to open the file.

"Cannot open" is actually fairly rare. In what context are you seeing the error message? Could you give us the full error message text?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
"Error: Can not open"

Yes the file is there.  And yes, we all have access to it.  This is trying to open a file via our client-server setup.

I am surprised you say this is rare.  We are getting it on all of our Sesame files and just have to reboot the server.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Spanitz,

I'm going to suggest again that you contact Tech Support and let them help untangle your client-server configuration. Almost every question you ask is indicating to me that you are not always connecting to what you think you are, and that you may be rebooting the server with applications open. That this is happening on "all of your files" and some of your earlier questions indicating some confusion about how client-server is meant to work in Sesame (as opposed to Q&A) is pointing at a configuration issue that Tech Support can likely help you to sort out.

Troubleshooting network configuration is quite difficult in this environment, since we cannot really see what is going on. On the telephone, you can interact with Tech Support in real time and they may be able to help spot the problem.

- Hammer
IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 10:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sounds good - I'll call tech support.

What might sound confusing (my mistake) is that I'm running back and forth between two offices.  Mine has a single computer with a single copy of Sesame (single-user).  The other office where all the action is taking place has a Client-Server setup with eleven concurrent licenses.  I inherited the client-server setup... it will be good to verify the setup.

The real puzzling questions were the ones where the same problem happens on both the stand-alone setup and the client-server setup.

I understand how an improper shutdown of the server would lock/truncate/damage files... but what would I be doing on my end (stand-alone) to cause the same problem?

IDEA:  would it help at all if I built from scratch a shell in Sesame of all the fields, then somehow copy/import/merge just the fields over into the fresh not-converted-from-DOS Sesame "shell" ?

Thanks for all of your help.  I'm catching quite a bit of flack on this end for what appears to be Sesame glitches (but as you mentioned, could be bad setup, damaged files that were already damaged, user error!, etc.).  Just trying to track down what's what...

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 10:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Wait - wait - wait!!!  Did you mean that the only way to share a Sesame database with client connection is to have it open on the Server also?

Where is this spelled out in the manuals?  We've followed the networking procedures.  This sounds like a change.

If we need it open on the Server, do I load multiple instances of Sesame to give access to multiple databases?

We have Sesame running has a SERVICE on the Server.  Does this change things?

Are you still running Sesame as a service?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 10:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Starting fresh is probably a good idea. I'm not sure how far along they were. You may want to retranslate and start clean.

There have definitely been configuration problems and I cannot tell what is damaged and what isn't, or how it got that way, or what got copied to the standalone machine, etc...

You certainly want to get with Tech Support and have them talk you through a clean client-server setup, without trying to inherit whatever someone previously set up. One bad shortcut gets left on somebody's desktop and you are right back where you started.   Wink

I think that, once we get the configuration issues taken care of, you'll find Sesame running quite nicely client-server.

- Hammer
IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 10:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Are you still running Sesame as a service?

No.  We fixed that today.  Sesame is running as normal at the Server.  The running as a service thing wasn't my idea, either.

Is there any better-than-not methods to import/export the data into a new (built-in-Sesame) shell?  In other words, I would build a new shell, export from the suspected damaged Sesame files, then import into the shell.  Is this just asking for trouble?

They have almost 20 years worth of data they still want access to...

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 10:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Should we not run Sesame as a service? I was considering it, but it sounds like it's not a good idea.

Thanks,

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 10:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Now, keep in mind that our server setup might be, errrr, screwed...  <grin>

What I saw happening is that when Sesame ran into trouble, the service froze requiring a complete shut-down of the server and a reboot.

When it is now running as a normal application (the "Sesame server mode" on the actual server), when it runs into trouble it just shuts itself down.  We notice nobody can access, then walk over and restart the Sesame server mode.  I can see the benefit of this setup.  Now to get to the point of no shut downs!   Wink

(Yes, once we bring Sesame back up in server mode, we also sign on as admin first and unlock the files and make sure the client-mode copy of Sesame on the server can open the files first.)

In case these files are hosed from the incorrect stopping of the service (who knows how many times) is there an way to salvage the data, or do we have to roll back to the questionable from-Q&A data?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 10:27am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
In case these files are hosed from the incorrect stopping of the service (who knows how many times) is there an way to salvage the data, or do we have to roll back to the questionable from-Q&A data?

Do you have a backup? Are both the dsr and db damaged?

- Hammer
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 10:44am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Should we not run Sesame as a service? I was considering it, but it sounds like it's not a good idea.

Thanks,

Steve in Texas

The real problem is that it can mask and obscure any difficulties that may be occuring. To run Sesame server as a service, the "-daemon" flag must be specified (to prevent Sesame from trying to establish a server user interface). Without a user interface, the only diagnostics on the health of the server is the log. Additionally, if there has been a problem, and Sesame is started as a service, it will restart everytime you restart the OS, giving you no chance to work things out before it starts up again.

We worked very hard to make sure that little to nothing about Sesame is platform specific or tainted by outside dependencies. Wrapping Sesame in an OS's "service mechanism" involves Sesame in the issues that may be lingering in the OS's network connection model. The only benefit is that Sesame server will start when the OS starts. But even that is risky, in that there is no assurance that the OS software that is required for reliable operation has been initialized before any particular program needs it.

So would I recommend that you set up Sesame as a service: only if you are already very stable in your network setup, you have a strong understanding of services and daemons, you are running on a secured and stable platform (prefer Linux over anything from Microsoft), and you have the actual requirement to start Sesame server immediately on boot.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 2:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark,

I thought running Sesaem as a service would be more secure since you dont have to "log in" to windows. (Just a guess).

I'll pass on the server.

Spanitz(?), Erika just posted a note saying:

Until you have 1.0.4, don't use Designer and Runtime on the same server. In 1.0.3, saving a layout is causing Designer to broadcast a message to all the attached clients that they need to update themselves. This is a leftover from when Designer always started its own server and the only attached client was its own Preview client.

Heres the thread:
http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...

Just FYI.

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 2:52pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I thought running Sesaem as a service would be more secure since you dont have to "log in" to windows. (Just a guess).

Yes. You would not have to leave a system logged in if you ran Sesame server as a Win32 service. Nor would you have to log in to start the server. So in both those cases there is an advantage.

You must be careful to make sure that the services on which Sesame relies are already running before Sesame starts as service. Dependency checking for services in WIn32 is done using registry enties. They are not set up by default. In the case of Sesame, TCP/IP services must be up and running before Sesame is started.

Additionally, it is critically important that Sesame server be properly shutdown before the service representing it is stopped. Win32 OSs simply kill the process (using "TerminateProcess") giving it no notification or warning. That will cause the server to drop suddenly, even if it is mid-operation.

Worse, because of "limitations" in WinNT, a service can either have "interaction with the desktop" or "interact with the network" but not both. Sesame in normal mode, does both. Using "-daemon" flag may help with this, but I can't be sure.

On top of all of that, Win32 sends services messages that are not processed by normal tasks when the user logs off. The default method invoked for this message is to suddenly terminate the process. Sesame does not directly handle any Windows messages, and I would hate to add non-portable code to handle this unique windows-ism.

As far as security goes, Sesame is based on TCP/IP - a well known and well documented (older than DOS or Q&A) standard, on which security layers can be added through standard and documented means. I don't know if Win32 "services", being completely proprietary, respect and adapt to TCP/IP security measures. I can't even say for sure if Win32 OSs aren't stopping and restarting the processes they represent in somewhat arbitrary ways.

IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2004 at 7:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Mark,

I'll pass on the server.

Spanitz(?), Erika just posted a note saying:

Until you have 1.0.4, don't use Designer and Runtime on the same server. In 1.0.3, saving a layout is causing Designer to broadcast a message to all the attached clients that they need to update themselves. This is a leftover from when Designer always started its own server and the only attached client was its own Preview client.

Heres the thread:
http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...

Just FYI.

Steve in Texas

Thanks.  This is the stuff I want to find out about (ideally ahead of time).  Like I've said before, the end-users are getting more than a little freaky with our server/network/Sesame mishaps.

IP Logged