Normal Topic Subform help! (Read 1351 times)
JJuarez

No personal text

Subform help!
May 28th, 2004 at 6:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I would suggest starting a new topic for this as its related but not related - it will make your topic easier to find & get responses.

Ok Justin, let me try and see if I can do this right? Grin
Sooo far sooo good  Roll Eyes
Quote:
The first thing you need to ask is how many generations do you want to show simultaneousley? (on a single form.)

Well?  Starting from our known grandparents to the last person in the database, where-ever they might fall in the generation ( I have 5 generations so far - and growing  Roll Eyes )
Quote:
How are you deciding that there is a common parent? Are you wanting to enter the children from the parents screen etc?
Well the way the database was that I converted from Q&A, I have a field for 'Mother', 'Father' and 'Original Parent'.  'Original Parent' being the field that I used to put the name of the 13 children my grandparents had.
I would like to enter the children to these 13 parents and have them show up in the grandparents as grandchildren and keep building on that. Right now I have the tabs and showing the info as a tableview.

I hope this is the type of info you needed to help?

IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Re: Subform help!
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2004 at 7:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Well?  Starting from our known grandparents to the last person in the database, where-ever they might fall in the generation ( I have 5 generations so far - and growing   )

Hmm i'll have to think about how to do this... its harder than it first appears.

Do you want to show things from active persons point of view showing all parents (grand parents, etc.) and all children (grand children, etc)?

If so do you also want to be able to edit those from the same screen or have the user go to the persons screen and edit it there?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2004 at 7:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
If I can interject...  Smiley

Sesame does not have the self-relational query capability that I bet Justin has in mind, where you link a table to itself to dynamically generate an unknown level of relationships. However, 1.0.4 has some really nifty new X-commands that, used creatively in a loop, could possibly generate a "family" for any particular person. The result of this coould be printed or shown in the WriteLn window. This is not something you would store as subrecords, but would generate as wanted. Justin and you may want to wait until you've got these new tools before proceeding. If you want to try something along the lines I mean, XListValues is a relative of the new commands, although it does not allow for filtering, whereas the new commands do.

1.0.4 is in final testing now, and should be ready to release soon.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2004 at 7:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
You might be able to use @FormFieldValue and @FormResultSetTotal. As Erika, said - your results would not be displayed in a form. You could set up a form with a person and their parent each as a field. Then use programming (@FormFieldValue) to  repeatedly run through the result set until you cannot find any further children - displaying the results as you go.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #4 - May 31st, 2004 at 7:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Actually that is how I was seeing this as going as the only viable way - that is why I wanted to know how many generations he was trying to get. I was thinking of using x-commands to get "tree" of generations.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 10:30am
Print Post Print Post  
As Erika pointed out, there are quite a few new "X" commands coming out in 1.0.4 that may be the best way to accomplish this.  The "Form" commands require an open form and "run" on the client as opposed to the server.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Justin_ICC

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 7:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I can't wait for the next patch - sounds like many useful tools, i'll wait till it comes out and see if we can get him a working solution Smiley

Thanks again

Justin

IP Logged

JJuarez

No personal text

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 7:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Justin  Wink
I'm not a programmer and really don't know what all these new commands mean....but they sure sound interesting....hopefully I will be able to follow along  Grin

IP Logged