Normal Topic Removing Duplicate Databases? (Read 994 times)
GW

No personal text

Removing Duplicate Databases?
Jun 8th, 2004 at 10:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Have been working on a database which has 3 additional databases for subforms attached. One of the subform db's has 2 forms.

While building this db in designer, I noticed that a copy of the db with the 2 forms had showed up on the menu tree. Being late and not thinking I deleted the copy, duh having the same name deleted both so I rebuilt the data base with the 2 forms. Everything was fine and I kept working on the design.
When I went to preview I notice that I had a second copy back again, left it and kept on working now I notice I have 2 additional copies of this db.

I don't know what action is causing the duplicates, you don't see them untill I close the form and get back to menu tree.
Is there anyway to delete these 2 copies? I hate to have to start all over again and rebuilt the db when it may happen again.

The db and the 2 copies are identical including the names, so renaming or deleting one applies to all.
DB was done in version 1.0.3
open to all help on this one thanks
becky

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Removing Duplicate Databases?
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 10:35am
Print Post Print Post  
Becky,

They are probably not "copies". Depending on the structure of your application, the same pieces (databases and forms) can repeat on the tree. If they have they same name, they are actually the same database.  For example, if you place two subforms on a form, both showing the same Form, that database and form can appear twice on the tree.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 11:56am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
now I notice I have 2 additional copies of this db.

Becky,

This is normal in Sesame for the stuff you and I were discussing. When you add the subforms you get the extra line on the tree. Since you have the standard tab and the detail tab both with subforms of the same database that database is shown twice under the branch of the main form db you are using. This is a little confusing at first for the end users but they seem to get used to this pretty quickly.

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 12:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Erika,
Now that I look at the DSR DDT file I don't believe that they have increased in size to make them additional copies of the db.

Quote:
Depending on the structure of your application, the same pieces (databases and forms) can repeat on the tree.

A Tree should not have multiple listing of the same database and forms. If its the same database with the same name in the same location then it should only be listed once on the tree.

Quote:
For example, if you place two subforms on a form, both showing the same Form, that database and form can appear twice on the tree.

This being the case if I have a database with 5 subform databases attached which in turn has 5 forms each, I will get 30 listings of the same databases on the tree.
--- One for every form plus the original listing, which is currently whats happening.

This application is still under designer and has not been saved as a new application as yet but I believe puting an application with this problem into use with multiply employees having access to it will sooner or later prove disastrous.
Somebody sooner or later will assume all those listings are copies and try to delete them as I did.

IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 12:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Robert our post must have been passing each other in time!!!!!

I understand why its doing it, just not the logic or the sensibility of it. I can see the tree being so cluttered and confusing that I would have to look at introducing a selection menu to hide the tree.
I just feel it should be 1 db, 1 name then 1 listing on the tree.
To me, it would be like opening "my documents" folder on C drive and finding 10 word documents with the same name because I placed  the same object on different pages of the document.

Not good for a non-progammer with just enough knowledge to get into trouble.  Cry

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 1:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
To me, it would be like opening "my documents" folder on C drive and finding 10 word documents with the same name because I placed  the same object on different pages of the document.

It is exactly as though you placed the same word file in 10 different directories and then opened each and every directory in Explorer. In the case of Explorer, it is an accurate representation of your file system and its structure. The file appears 10 times in 10 different directories. In the case of Sesame's application tree it is an accurate representation of the form appearing as a subform in several different places. Just as a file may appear in several different folders, a subform may appear on several different forms. Most accurately, it is as though you created a file in one directory and then created "shortcuts" to that file in 9 other directories. All of them will appear.

To represent it any other way would be missleading and certain to cause confusion for all users. If a designer is certain that they have added a subform a particular form - but Sesame has "simplified" it away (so it only appears once) they will certainly have the impression that they failed to add the subform. If they added it in 5 places, and we only show it as added in one place, they are likely to keep trying to add it in the other four.

In general, having a program (which cannot be nearly as smart as any user) deceive the user is likely to cause a great deal of trouble. It is almost always a good idea to be accurate. But, because the initial tree can contain many items, we are adding the ability to remove (hide/reveal) items from the runtime command trees in the next major release. But that decision will be up to each designer, rather than the program itself.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

GW

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2004 at 3:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
It is exactly as though you placed the same word file in 10 different directories and then opened each and every directory in Explorer

Yes but you would see them in different directories which is not confusing. In this case of Sesame I'm getting multiply listings of the same database in the same directory.

my quote of Quote:
To me, it would be like opening "my documents" folder on C drive and finding 10 word documents with the same name because I placed  the same object on different pages of the document

meaning one word document with 1 excel sheet pasted to 10 pages in the same doc would place 10 copies of the same document in the same folder!!!!!!!

As you can see I have a DB named "master" with subform db's as "projects", "estimate lab" and "estimate mat".
Projects has 2 forms "project list and project detail"
Now with the 2 duplicates of "projects"at the bottom of the Tree you can tell they are associated to "master/main" in this tree structure, but you have no idea they are the same db which give you the false thinking that they are duplicates, so lets delete them.
Quote:
If a designer is certain that they have added a subform a particular form - but Sesame has "simplified" it away (so it only appears once) they will certainly have the impression that they failed to add the subform

Not if the form has the same name, it is listed on the tree and a link line connects it to the associated db's. You can then tell its the same subform on however many different associated levels.

Still a confusing view of the Tree and if I keep adding forms, well my monitor doesn't support a res high enough to view it all  Wink

Quote:
But, because the initial tree can contain many items, we are adding the ability to remove (hide/reveal) items from the runtime command trees in the next major release. But that decision will be up to each designer, rather than the program itself.

I should have read this section more clearly and saved a lot of typing  Smiley With the ability to hide/reveal tree items this takes away the confusion of multiply listings.

thanks Mark.

IP Logged