Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Error: Database does not exist (Read 2520 times)
spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Error: Database does not exist
Jun 1st, 2004 at 8:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Help.  We now get an error when trying to open one of our databases.  File / Open -- then we specify the file that we see right on the screen -- the open progress box shows up -- then we get the error with the full path name and the filename with the suffix "Database does not exist"

How can I repair or even open this file?  Have we lost everything?  What caused this problem?

Eric A. Spanitz&&Spanitz Consulting, Inc.&&www.spanitz.com
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Error: Database does not exist
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
This indicates severe corruption which prevents the application from loading at all. We haven't seen much of this, but when we have, it's been caused by network misconfiguration or by severe file damage caused by someone using the operating system to overwrite files that are open in Sesame. For example, if someone has MyApp.db open, and you go into Windows Explorer and copy over MyApp.db and/or MyApp.dat, that can cause this type of corruption.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hmmm, then how could this also happen on a stand-alone Windows XP-Pro single-user setup.  I know that me and my other personalities are all only working in this one application (Sesame) with no Explorer, etc. stuff going on in the background.

Seriously, though, I understand what you said about the file overwrite, etc., but I don't see how this should happen in a single-use situation.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2004 at 9:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't have enough information about your particular circumstances at the time to answer this definitively. If any other machine on your network can access your hard drive, there are any number of possibilities.

One thing that can cause this sort of error if if you Ctrl-C or use Task Manager to kill Sesame while it is actually writing the file to your hard drive. When a computer is actively writing a file, anything that interrupts that, such a power failure, can cause truncation.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 4:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
So if we damage a database, is there any hope to repair it????? Shocked

I know I've written some bad programming that causes an endless loop and I've done control-alt-delete>End Task on Sesame. Bad stuff, I know, but I had no choice. Control-Break didnt stop the loop.

Steve in Texas

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 4:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:

I know I've written some bad programming that causes an endless loop and I've done control-alt-delete>End Task on Sesame. Bad stuff, I know, but I had no choice. Control-Break didnt stop the loop.

Of course there's hope to repair it. The specifics depends on the damage. If you did End Task, you may just need to unlock the database. If you actually managed to catch it at the moment it was writing and truncated the file, you may need to return to a backup. If it's something in between, contact Support.

- Hammer
IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 1:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
By "stand alone" I mean not on a network.  So there are no other computers to write to that file.  And I did not do a reboot/restart/shut-down to interrupt anything.  That is why I was concerned.  "If unlock doesn't work return to a backup" is not a great answer if the office is running all day entering data.  At least in Q&A we could PRETEND the "recover database" could do something.  Perhaps in an upcoming release add a feature named "Save my butt the database won't open" and have it chug for a while on the file then say something official like "I really did try, but this is damaged beyond my ability."  <partial grin>  At least that I could show to the Powers That Be in the office and they might feel better about rolling back one whole day...

IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 1:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:

Steve in Texas

Steve, I'm concerned about this too.  It sounds like there is not yet a "recover" utility.  I'm trying to work with databases with legal information in them (open cases), so sending them to somewhere else is not an option.

I would think that there must be some way to do a sequencial read of the file, starting at the beginning, and just have it stop where it detects a/any problem, and truncate (in the proper way) the rest.  That is better than nothing...

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 2:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Much of what Q&A calls "Recover" is run on your applications each time Sesame opens them. The reindexing that often fixes a corrupted Q&A database is irrelevant to Sesame because we don't index.

When dealing with computers, regular backups are your best friend. Bad network cards, failing hard drives, power failures, etc. can all damage files. Of course, the Sesame Development Team gives top priority to any issues discovered with Sesame that can damage data, and we make every effort to deal with them immediately.

So far, other than a particular issue having to do with reconciling to an open application (fixed in 1.0.4), we have seen almost no data corruption. We have seen some structural corruption, but the data itself has almost always been recoverable.

Support is willing to sign reasonable non-disclosures and to destroy their copies of applications once they are repaired.

- Hammer
IP Logged

spanitz

--Arbeit macht das Leben
suess--

Reply #9 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 2:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks!  This is very good information.  <not being sarcastic>  This is the warm-fuzzy type of data/message I had to hear, and will relay to the rest of the office.

From a so-people-don't-panic standpoint, what about putting information like this in a White Paper or Appendix?  "How Sesame checks and protects your data" or such...

I'm off to the Front...  I did the from-Q&A re-convert, double-checked the files, and they will be back in use shortly.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 4:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Help.  We now get an error when trying to open one of our databases.  File / Open -- then we specify the file that we see right on the screen -- the open progress box shows up -- then we get the error with the full path name and the filename with the suffix "Database does not exist"

How can I repair or even open this file?  Have we lost everything?  What caused this problem?

FYI: I just took a look at some code and went through the Support database.  There is another circumstance that can cause this error, which is certainly possible on a standalone machine. If the db and dat do not match, then you can get this error. For example, if you make a copy of myfile.db and myfile.dat, open the original in Sesame, add a few records, then copy only the dat over your previous copy of myfile.dat, you will get this error.

If you check your admin log, you may see server_error 510150 as well as some "Failure to read a record" messages.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #11 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 8:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just got this message and now I cant unlock or open my database!!!!!!!  Angry  Message says" Database xxx.db failed to open. Error, Failure while loading database. xxx.db Does not exist.

Here's how it happened:
I had the db open in Runtime and I selected "Redesign the current application" from the tree but instead of single clicking I accidently double clicked on the green dot, which I think is a VERY common mistake! (Whats up with all the single clicking?)

Designer opened up TWICE and started saving in each window! Then froze up!

Lantica, this is going to be a VERY common problem, I think!

Sunlock does not help! I guess I've lost a few hours of work:???!?!?!?!?!? I'm going to jump out the window now!

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #12 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I just got this message and now I cant unlock or open my database!!!!!!!  Angry  Message says" Database xxx.db failed to open. Error, Failure while loading database. xxx.db Does not exist.

Here's how it happened:
I had the db open in Runtime and I selected "Redesign the current application" from the tree but instead of single clicking I accidently double clicked on the green dot, which I think is a VERY common mistake! (Whats up with all the single clicking?)

What's up with the single-clicking is all the complaining we heard about having to double-click.  Smiley

Quote:
Designer opened up TWICE and started saving in each window! Then froze up!

Lantica, this is going to be a VERY common problem, I think!

Sunlock does not help! I guess I've lost a few hours of work:???!?!?!?!?!? I'm going to jump out the window now!

Steve,

I just tried this. It does indeed start opening two copies, both of which stop at the dialog boxes asking for dsr name. I cancelled out of both, closed the Designers, and my app was fine. Did you do this, or did you do something else? Most importantly, did you continue in one of the Designers, and then Reconcile to your still open db? This hole has been plugged in 1.0.4, but in 1.0.3 cancelling out of creating the dsr was affecting the locking in a way that would allow you to reconcile to an open db.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #13 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 8:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
I only saw 1 dialog box to 'save as'. 

I think its related to the bug you fixed for me yesterday(?).I was running on the network and when designer opened and started to save, it "broadcast" to the runtime to also save. I didn't think to launch designer from my icon so I could avoid running both from the same server.

Fortunately, my backup was only an hour old, so I think I'll be fine.

Whew! Good thing, cause we just had our windows cleaned Smiley

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #14 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 8:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve,

It's likely that's why you thought Sesame was "locked up". It's likely that, with all those windows popping up, the second Save As dialog box was behind something else. Since those are modal, the main screen would have become unresponsive until you uncovered and dismissed the popup.

Did you continue working in Runtime or any of the Designers after this happened, or did you End Task out of everything?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print