Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) SDesigner strange behaviour (Read 1750 times)
jondolar

Keep Trying

SDesigner strange behaviour
Jun 16th, 2004 at 2:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi

I deleted 2 subforms from my Order_Form, Added the first subform again then deleted it once more. It somehow created under Order_Form, something called Clients000 (Folder/Document symbol). I reconciled then managed to delete Clients000 with Manage a Database. Now this is where it gets funny. I try to reconcile again. The Progress window...processing Record Definition...goes crazy. The square cursor goes quickly to the right, slim down, goes quicly to the left and start all over again indefinitely. I had to use the task manager to stop it. When I reconcile to a new application, it works ok but my data is gone (no problem, I have CSV files I can reimport). Any explanations for that?

TIA
Regards

Serge

When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like nail!

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: SDesigner strange behaviour
Reply #1 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 2:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Progress window does what you describe when it is performing a process where it does not know how long it will take, and therefore cannot show you a percentage. How long did you give it before killing it? If you have a lot of existing records, it has to go through them all and add the new subfield, as well as deleting any existing ones that you removed.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

jondolar

Keep Trying

Reply #2 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 3:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Normally, It Reconciles within 3 seconds. This time I did not kill it and it took 3 minutes. After that seemingly correct reconciliation, I could not open the DB. I got the message ....Failed to open. Failure while loading...Database does not exist.  I also tried to reconcile again for the sake of it and also got the...Database does not exist message.  The DB is really there but maybe it is corrupted or something ???

Serge

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 3:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I can't tell unless I see it. Unfortunately, killing the process during a Reconcile gives it a good opportunity to corrupt the db for doing so. If you want to send your dsr into Support, we can see if anything looks evil. What version are you running?

- Hammer
IP Logged

jondolar

Keep Trying

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2004 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm running 1.0.4

I sent you all the files.

Thanks

Serge

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 1:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Serge,

All I can see from what you sent me is that the db is blown because Sesame was killed while actively writing out the file. The dsr has some oddities in it, but I can't tell why. Do we have a "known good" that I can use for comparison to see how things are meant to be?

Also, have you ever added fields to this app using Field Manager?

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 8:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
These are the files of a working application (I started from scratch). I noticed in Designer that if you delete a subform with the delete key while modifying a form, then save, it creates a second instance of the main form instead of replacing it!

I'm not seeing this on my test apps. The app you sent me does not have any subforms, so I can't try it out on yours.

Quote:
I also finally realized that with a natural link, you have to input the details that are normally shown with a relational link. i.e. In a relational set up, I input Client_Id and the details of this client are automaticaly shown on the subform (if Client_Id also exist in Clients Database). With natural link you have to retype all the details each time.

No, you don't. When you make either kind of link, you can select an existing link. If you do this, the existing records will be shown. You don't need to retype anything, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "details".

- Hammer
IP Logged

jondolar

Keep Trying

Reply #7 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 12:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Erika

We obviously don't understand each other. Perhaps my posting is confusing. My database Orders and it's single form Order_Form,  do contain a subform relationally linked to the form Client_Form of the Database Clients..

My second point was that when you add a record in Orders database, with the Natural link approach, The cliend subform does not show the data (unless my set up is faulty).

Anyhow. I will redo 2 streamline applications one with relational link and one with natural link. during the weekend and repost.

Regards

Serge

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 12:25pm
Print Post Print Post  
The app you sent me has a field of type subrecord, but no subform on the  main form.  I see four forms, but none of them includes a subform.

As to your second point, when you add your subform and choose Natural Link, you get the option in Step 3 of using an existing Natural Link. If you select this, you will get the records that area already linked in.

- Hammer
IP Logged

jondolar

Keep Trying

Reply #9 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 4:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Erika

Trough experimentation, I finally learned that a subform is bound to a subrecord and if not needed anymore, the subfield should be deleted in the Field Manager and not directly on the main form in order to remove everything.

As for the Natural linking, here is what I did:

Created one Application (SergeDB_Nat) and 2 databases (Orders and Clients) each database having a single main form. Orders has a single LE: Client_Id. Clients has 6 LE: Client_Id, Client_Name, Client.Addr, Client_City, Client_Pc and Client_Contact.

Used Natural linking through a subform on the Orders database main form. The choice for step 3 of Subform Settings is "Make Natural Child Records." The other choice "Show existing Natural Child Record" is not available. There are no "Pre-existing relationship" as discussed on page 141 of the User Guide.
I then did a "Hierarchical import" in the database Orders. Records appears as they should in both databases. So far so good.

When I add a record to the database Orders using Order_Form in Sesame Manager and fill in Client_Id, the details (all the 6 field values) from the corresponding Clients database (same Client_Id) do not fill the Subform on Order_Form. If I do the samething with an identical Application but using Relational Linking, and importing the data separately in each database, the corresponding details in the Clients database fields populate the subform on the Orders_Form automaticaly (as long as Clien_Id has a matching record in Clients).

I can send you the naturally linked App if what I describe here does not appear to be normal behaviour or if I misunderstand something.

TIA Kiss

Serge

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Jun 22nd, 2004 at 5:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
What you describe sounds correct.

- Hammer
IP Logged