Normal Topic Sesame Extractor (Read 768 times)
Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Sesame Extractor
Jul 6th, 2004 at 5:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Lantica has made available an external utility called Sesame Extractor designed to work with Sesame applications. This utility can connect to a Sesame server and extract a "table" of values. It works by exposing the XLookupSourceListAll command from outside Sesame itself. It makes a nice simple alternative to ODBC for things like mail merges.

For more information:
http://www.lantica.com/Products/sesutils.html

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

hhiarbee

No personal text

Re: Sesame Extractor
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 7:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have to be honest after waiting years to be able to bring my Q&A into the modern ages with Sesame, i still havent used Sesame.  The mailmerge issue has always been my main concern. We have a number of staff that uses dozens of differnt legal forms all day. Once i read the dozen"simple" steps to do a mail merge or the even easier 9 steps I had thrown up my hands in frustration.  Q&A takes about two steps and is perfectly integrated. Now I see there is a sesame utility that is supposed to make mail merge easier? Only pay an addition fee for something that should be part of the program..and while you are at it if you actually want to use the utility you might also want to pay for an addtional user license.  Is there something wrong with this picture or am i just getting crochety in my old age.  I am an end user and had hoped that even though sesame has more power than Q&A that it would also retain some of its simplicity.
rb ???

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 7:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
We've had a number of success stories with doing nice mail merges. I've done a few myself. The steps may sound much more complex than they actually are. Many of the steps only need to be done once per document.

All the functionality to do what Extractor does is included in Sesame. The output from Extractor is identical to using the XLookupSourceListAll command from SBasic. 

The difference is that Extractor allows you to do things like mail merges without going into Sesame to export your data first. It is for people who want to embed the call to Extractor in their Word document or Access database or web page to pull their data live and on-demand. It is also for those who want to use a batch file to pull out data from multiple databases or with different criteria. Basically, for those who want to automate their processes from outside Sesame. If you just want to export your data and open your Word document, or automate your merges from within Sesame itself, you don't need the additional utility. You only need an additional license if you also want to use Sesame in the normal way at the same time.

John Dow has an excellent program called DTFDATA that does a similar thing for Q&A databases. I get tremendous use out of DTFDATA, even though I could also do the export from inside Q&A.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2004 at 8:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame has an excellent tool called ODBC!.

ODBC is a tool that allows many other programs to "link" directly into a database.  Lantica has provided Sesame with the necessary ODBC driver.  At this time it is a Read-Only tool, but that is all you need for Mail Merges.

No exports
No imports
No utilities.

Start your Sesame Server, no need to open a client.
Open Merge document in word processor (Word, OpenOffice, eg.).
Filter records if desired (like you did in Q&A)
Merge document with data source.
Preview results, edit document as needed (or not).
Save/Print/Email,,,,, whatever you want..
DONE!

You can make macros in your word processor to do some of these tasks if you do not want to take the few manual steps.  Like all merge documents, setting up the master will take a few minutes, but then you have it forever.

Just as you saved Merge Specs in Q&A, you can save Merge Specs in your ODBC queries.  Make them once, then use them forever, or edit as needed when using them.
===========================

I never see any postings on ODBC so I often think that I am the only one who uses this.  After an ODBC connection is defined, you are done.  There were some issues with initial documentation and connections, but I have not seen any problems since version 1.0.3.

« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2004 at 7:30am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged