Normal Topic ODBC Support (Read 1658 times)
thinkspill

No personal text

ODBC Support
Apr 7th, 2004 at 7:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hey everyone... I have a question about Sesame and ODBC support.

I'm wondering if Sesame supports ODBC fully, or only with MS Office connections.. I obviously don't know a whole lot about ODBC.

My primary interest lies in connecting Sesame to the database of my credit card transaction gateway's database, with the purpose of that database updating my customer database via ODBC when either a new customer orders or an old customer renews.

My transaction gateway says they support ODBC. But will Sesame support ODBC connections from them?

Thanks for reading this!

Aloha,

Ian

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: ODBC Support
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 6:29am
Print Post Print Post  
I have had success using ODBC with Word and Access.

But I have not been able to make it work with OpenOffice (1.1).  Is another ODBC driver needed for this, or is there a setting I am overlooking?  I can see the ODBC Data Source, but cannot seem to completely connect.  When opening the Customers table of data, I get an error message that "invalid descriptor index, SQL status 07009."

Additional info is: "You tried to set a parameter at position 1 but there is/are only 0 parameter(s) allowed. One reason may be that the property "ParameterNameSubstitution" is not set to TRUE in the data source."

I cannot find any ODBC settings for this property.

When I look at Tools, Options, DataSources, Connections, I have about 15 ODBC connections listed in the pool, but the Sesame ODBD is not there.  Do I need to add it to this pool, and if Yes, how to do that?  I used ODBC and selected 60 seconds to enable Sesame pooling, but Sesame still does not show up here.

Or does OpenOffice use another technology to link to Sesame, like JDBC, ADO, Adabas D, or something else?

I also get the same error message if I try to use a Saved Query that includes all fields. 
(SQL = SELECT * FROM "Customers" "Customers"

If I add a single field to the query in addition to accepting all fields, I get different error messages:
SQL Status 42000, and ErrorCode 1015.  More information: "[Lantica, Inc][Sesame ODBC Driver]Expected lexical element not found: FROM"
(SQL=SELECT "Customers".*, "Customers"."Company" FROM "Customers" "Customers")

If I only select one field, I can retrieve all of the records, but when trying to merge get message that "DataSource cannot be found", even though I can step through the records in the Query window.  (SQL=
SELECT "Company" FROM "Customers" "Customers" WHERE ( ( "Company" IS NOT NULL ) ) ORDER BY "Company" DESC)

When making the queries, at least I can see the fields when I use the Query Designer.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: ODBC Support
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 7:29am
Print Post Print Post  
It looks like me earlier concerns about OpenOffice can probably be ignored.  It appears that if I select all fields using the "*" that will not be accepted.  But if I remove that, and select each of the fields as distinct fields, I am able to create, save, and use queries as merged data in my documents.  At the point of printing I can further select individual or groups of records from the results of the query record set.

Conclusion:  No problems with using Open Office with Sesame ODBC driver to do Mail Merges.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged