Normal Topic Cross Tab Reporting (Read 781 times)
jack_waldron

No personal text

Cross Tab Reporting
Jul 28th, 2004 at 8:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Q&A has been a lifesaver in its ability to produce cross tab analysis.  It was my hope that Sesame would expand upon that initial capability to produce sub-sections within a cross tab report (similar to a pivot table in Excel).  I do statistical analysis for a Workforce Center operation that is county-wide in San Antonio.  I pull, Using a program called Info Maker (Sybase Application), data from the state of Texas MIS system.  Many queries exceed a million records being pulled.  Based on my initial review of Sesame, it appears that its reporting capabilities are limited and do not included the ability to produce cross tab reports.   Am I correct?  If that is the case, is there an intent to expand reporting capabilities to include cross tab reporting in the very near future?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Cross Tab Reporting
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2004 at 9:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
There is an intent to expand on all of Sesame's reporting capabilities, including the addition of cross-tab capabilities. However, cross tab is not likely to be available in "the very near future".

Sesame does have multiple export formats and Sesame reports are produced as HTML. Either of these formats can be easily pulled into Excel as raw data, which loves to do pivot tables. I've done some very nice automation for clients who need to produce Excel spreadsheets to be emailed to clients using Sesame's @Shell command and Excel VBA to extract data from Sesame, feed it to Excel, and process it as needed.

In addition, the Extractor utility can pull data live from a Sesame database, if you want to do the whole process from inside Excel.

However, this may not work for you with that kind of volume, as Excel cannot manage more than 65536 rows.

For your particular requirements, you may want to look for a package that is more tightly focused on high-volume statistical analysis. Sesame is a generalized database management system which offers a number of data entry oriented capabilities that you may not need, since you pull your data in raw bulk.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged