Normal Topic A weird thing happened. (Read 1324 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

A weird thing happened.
Aug 6th, 2004 at 7:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
In Add mode,  imported 350 records each containing about 5 subrecords, using sbasic.

Worked great. I then hit f7 to search through my new records, which opened a new tab. (Add mode is still open showing 350 records.)

In Search mode I did a few searches then mass deleted 24 records.(Add mode still open on 1st tab, probably showing 350 records)

Another user was searching for a record that I had just imported. It appeared that we landed on the same record because I saw "locked" show up on my screen. I tried to exit search mode, then the screen started flashing repeatedly (working, updating, working, updating). It looked like we were heading for a crash so I hit esc a few times and it quit to main tree. Other user was able to close sesame and exit.

I re-entered search mode, and checked my newly imported records. The 24 I deleted are gone, but also 29 parent records are missing, and the first parent record now shows 300+ SUBRECORDS with odd data (some random and some from the new parent forms) 'crammed' into various fields.

I went into the subrecord database to mass delete these strange records, and I cant find them.

It SEEMS like the subrecords were created automatically, OR the first subrecords just grabbed the 'relationships' for ALL the new parent records. I think this happened because I had ADD mode open while I mass deleted (and another user was in the db).

I'm trying to mass delete all these new imported records, but sesame keeps crashing. (One subrecord shows locked and read only, but all users are out and sesame server has been restarted several times.)

I deleted all the subrecords I COULD find, but still cant delete the parent records (server closes, or client crashes).

I'm sending to tech support to 'fix' and 'clean out stray records'. All subrecords in form Variants should be relational.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: A weird thing happened.
Reply #1 - Aug 6th, 2004 at 7:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
I recovered from a backup, so I'm not going to send in my db to tech support unless someone there needs to see the issue.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 11:39am
Print Post Print Post  
I'd like to see it. I'd also like to see the log file from the Server.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 2:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
I just sent my db.

I'm curious to know if those 350 subrecords are 'stuck' or orphaned in that db? Remeber, I did some mass deletes, but was not having much luck getting rid of some of them.

DO a search for MFGR: 828 and record #2 will crash sesame.

I looked at my current log file and it skips a couple of days. Is it because I restored a back (only the db files?)

Is the log file enclosed in the db?

Is the log file the .log file that is in the Sesame folder on the server, or on my client?

Thanks,

Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 2:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I looked at my current log file and it skips a couple of days. Is it because I restored a back (only the db files?)

No, but you did also restore the matching .dat also, right?

Quote:
Is the log file enclosed in the db?

No.

Quote:
Is the log file the .log file that is in the Sesame folder on the server, or on my client?

Both. Each log file represents the messages for a Sesame session(s). Whenever you run Sesame as Client or as Server from a particular working directory, that working directory will get its own log file (which can be very handy!). In this case, I'd like to see both log files, so I can see the 'conversation' the Client and Server had with each other.
Can you tell me around what date and time of day the Mass Update occured? It will help me find the right spot in the logs.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2004 at 8:32pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for all the attention on this. I'll upload the log files renamed as server.log and client.log

The mass update occured on 8-6-2004 around 1:25pm and the mass delete and crashing started about 1 hour later.

Thanks again.

Steve

IP Logged