Normal Topic Requesting some fixes and new features. (Read 1017 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Requesting some fixes and new features.
Aug 7th, 2004 at 9:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sorry to bug you guys with my requests, but now that we have been using sesame in our office for several months, I see a big need for a few additions and fixes:

1. We need a list box or combo box, etc that can retain MULTIPLE selections. currently the only option I see is a bunch of check boxes, but then the programming gets very extensive just to collect the data if there are 30 or 40 on a form. I would like to see a selector box that can retain all the selections in a semicolon delimited string stored into 1 field. The new String array commands would be able to handle the field nicely.

2. The unlock and Sunlock features are becoming a pain. Since unlock in the admin panel has been mostly ineffective lately, I saved time by putting sunlock in a batch file which helps, but Erika pointed out that it is "very bad" to try to unlock a database that is not really locked. Some additional confirmations are needed. When using the  Sunlock tool, it would be nice to see if it was successful or not.

3. Multi line text boxes need a scroll bar. Among the many benefits, this could allow them to be used instead of a subform, making programming easier and faster! Ex., an unbound multi line text box could be a 'window' into another database. It could populate with various data in [u]various formats[/u] via various xlookups. I can see several benefits of this, but you all probably could too, and more. I would love to have several command buttons on a form that each display my data in different views and layouts, depending on the button pressed. The writeln window is handy, but doesnt have the benefits of an LE text box (font, size, location, save to the record, etc.)

4. While I left my computer at home remotely connected to the office server for several hours (unattended), I lost the connection, but was not aware of it until I tried to SAVE MY PROGRAMMING. All was lost and the server did not acknowledge that I was disconnected so I could not reconnect until I restarted the server. (I think we discussed this earlier, but we still need some sort of solution) Perhaps an autosave timer, or a ping feature would help. At the very least, we need a notice showing the user that the client was disconnected from the server.

5. I believe Mark mentioned a built in timer for sesame. I hope its still on the radar. I could see lots of benefits for this. Especially when using the FileExists command.

As always, thanks for listening. I've never had programmig experience before, but I've seen enough to know that Sesame can do just about ANYTHING, which is why I've committed my time and resources to learn how to use it. I've got faith in Lantica!

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Requesting some fixes and new features.
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 2:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
1. We need a list box or combo box, etc that can retain MULTIPLE selections. currently the only option I see is a bunch of check boxes, but then the programming gets very extensive just to collect the data if there are 30 or 40 on a form. I would like to see a selector box that can retain all the selections in a semicolon delimited string stored into 1 field. The new String array commands would be able to handle the field nicely.

I've been handling this by using a text box bound to either a text or keyword field. I put a button next to the text box with @UserSelect programming on it that offers the user a list of choices. When they pick something from the list, the programming adds it onto the value already in the text box.

Quote:
2. The unlock and Sunlock features are becoming a pain. Since unlock in the admin panel has been mostly ineffective lately, I saved time by putting sunlock in a batch file which helps, but Erika pointed out that it is "very bad" to try to unlock a database that is not really locked. Some additional confirmations are needed. When using the  Sunlock tool, it would be nice to see if it was successful or not.

No. I've said that it's very bad to unlock an application that is really locked. Meaning that it is actually currently loaded by a server.

Quote:
3. Multi line text boxes need a scroll bar.

We'd like this also.

Quote:
4. While I left my computer at home remotely connected to the office server for several hours (unattended), I lost the connection, but was not aware of it until I tried to SAVE MY PROGRAMMING. All was lost and the server did not acknowledge that I was disconnected so I could not reconnect until I restarted the server. (I think we discussed this earlier, but we still need some sort of solution) Perhaps an autosave timer, or a ping feature would help. At the very least, we need a notice showing the user that the client was disconnected from the server.

We are looking into ways to handle this. Most of the options have downsides, so we're evaluating carefully before implementing any particular method.

Quote:
5. I believe Mark mentioned a built in timer for sesame. I hope its still on the radar. I could see lots of benefits for this. Especially when using the FileExists command.

It's on the radar.  Smiley

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 10:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

Thanks for the feedback. Your suggestion for #1 will get me by. Hopefully we'll see a more automated solution. Smiley

Thanks for listening, as always.

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2004 at 10:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,  while putting your response to #1 into action, I realize that i will be losing the visual confirmation that I have with rows and columns of organized check boxes.

Its much easier for the user to spot for errors, as well as make their selection when their choices are laid out neatly such as in a list box, or radio button group.

Having to 'open' a combo box dropdown, or read through a delimited field is visually not a good option.

Thanks,

Steve

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 2:12pm
Print Post Print Post  
It would also be fantastic if a user could hold down Control key to make multiple selections from a combo box. The results would then show in the box with semi-colons to delimit each choice.

This would be an excellent compliment to the already powerful feature of using xlookups to populate a combo box. Very effective when used in "on retrieve spec open" to allow users a 'smarter' way to search for a record.

Steve

IP Logged