Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sesame Users' Group (Read 2441 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Sesame Users' Group
Feb 6th, 2004 at 2:01am
Print Post Print Post  
We are in SANE..... Grin

I wanted to announce that the first local users group meeting was held last weekend,  for Sesame. 

We have been meeting quarterly for about 8 years as QANERUG (Q&A New England Regional Users Group).  The Sesame development team came to make a presentation to our group in November 2001.

Unfortunately our first order of business was getting a name.  It was decided to accept Alec's contribution of SANE (Sesame Associates of New England User Group).  Thanks again Alec, your different contributions never end. Grin

So there is now a group of us in New England who are inSANE.  Looking forward to the National meeting.

Link to our web page is: http://www.sensiblesolutions.org/SesameNE.htm    (I know, the page needs some work, I need some time.... Cry )

We are proud to be the first, and waiting to hear about other local groups.  I will provide more information about last weekend's meeting in a few days. 
==============================
For those who have attended, you may remember that we meet in the Salem NH Library basement, across from the Boy's Club.  So it is only fitting that if we are inSANE that we would get together in the ASYLUM (Across from Salem's YMCA, Library Underground Meetings).  ??? --  Wink  Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2004 at 8:40pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame Users' Group
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 1:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob.

I'd like to add your group to the Resources page. Do you have a website and/or contact info?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 6:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Erika....the quick answer is YES, but it is too embarrasing to look at now.  Was created eight years ago using Write with macros in Q&A 4.0.  This was a test of Web Page Development tools, before we had tools like FrontPage, Dreamweaver, etc.  Has not really been maintained, other than announcements of QUNERUG meetings. 

The link that is here: http://www.sensiblesolutions.org/SesameNE.htm  is to a quick and dirty page, copying content from QANERUG page. 

I have also modified the first message to include this link.  Now you are forcing me into working on it this weekend.  Thanks lots  .... Grin

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

June

Proud to be in SANE

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 6:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:

As an inSane member who was at the meeting, I would like to add a little something to a comment Bob has on the SANE website (see link above). 

It states:
"We started at 9:30, and got thrown out at 4:30.  We were so engrossed that we never broke for lunch, never noticed the clock.  We learned a lot! "

He forgot to mention- we had FUN while we were at it!   Cheesy

I would highly encourage any Sesame users in our area to mark the next meeting date on your calendars (Saturday, May 1, 2004) and join us!

On problems:

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 7:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
He forgot to mention- we had FUN while we were at it!

It does now......June was reading it while I was editing.
(I was creating the page on the fly with the forum posting).

June was good enough to let us use one of her Q&A databases for training in conversion to Sesame.   Grin

We did not finish, but she is right, we did have FUN in the process.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

June

Proud to be in SANE

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2004 at 7:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
June was good enough to let us use one of her Q&A databases for training in conversion to Sesame.   Grin

Tee hee hee  Wink
Yes, such a sacrifice on my part  Roll Eyes

It should read
"June was LUCKY enough to have one of her Q&A databases selected to be worked on by the group for training in conversion to Sesame"

And, I will add- she's also MOST APPRECIATIVE of all the help she received!   Cheesy

On problems:

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2004 at 5:03am
Print Post Print Post  
Please make this change to your calendars:

The SANE meeting originally planned for May 1, 2004, has been rescheduled to Saturday May 15 , in Salem, NH.

Sorry for any inconvenience, but still hope to see many of the Sesame Associates of New England Users' Group, members of QANERUG, and our friends and guests.

Directions and more information available at http://www.sensiblesolutions.org/SesameNE.htm ;

This will be our second quarterly meeting of SANE
FREE.....NO FEE....and usually have refreshments too.

Let me know if you can make it there to join us.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

AnnHaney

I'll Conquer This, I Know
I Will!

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 2:21pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi, Bob!  I'm going to try and come up for the next meeting.  I'm in a real dilemma about what to do with my main 15,000 record Q&A database with lots of programming (done by someone else years ago).  I really don't have the time or energy to put into converting it and learn a whole other program right now - it has to be ready to go for a seamless mass mailing in Word during August. 

I'd like to see Sesame in action and see if I can be convinced to putting June and July into the change.  And I'd like to catch the enthusiasm of other Sesame users. 

If there's anyone else in the NYC (or even Philadelphia) area that would like to go up with me (even share expenses --driving and/or hotel), please contact me.  I'll probably go up Friday night, come back Sunday.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 5:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ann.....

It would be good to see you again.

If planning to stay over, the Red Roof Inn has been used by others in the past.  Rooms only, no on-site restaurant.  But I can recommend good eating places, will be glad to join you for meals. 

Details can be worked out that Friday.

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

AnnHaney

I'll Conquer This, I Know
I Will!

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 6:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK - will make arrangements.  Will be in contact by the time that Friday rolls around to let you know if I'll be there in time for dinner - would be a late dinner unless I can take the afternoon off which I'll try to do.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #10 - Aug 9th, 2004 at 12:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
This is an excerpt from the email recently sent out to our members.  This meeting is open to everyone!
=====================================

SANE (Sesame Associates of New England) is now meeting with QANERUG (Q&A New England Regional Users Group).

Date: Saturday, August 14, 2004.
Time: 9:30 - 4:30
Site:  Meeting conference room in Kelly Public Library.
Cost: FREE
====================================
Sesame has now been released for over six months, and we are starting to see real applications being made in Sesame.  Some from scratch, some converted from Q&A.

Some of the things we hope to discuss:

1.  Should I translate my Q&A database, just build in Sesame directly?
2.  If I do translate, what steps do I need to take?
3.  Potential problems when doing Reconicle from Designer to Database
4.  Can menus be made to replace the "Tree"s on the left?
5.  Relational vs. "Natural" (hierarchal) designs choices.

Bring a Q&A file with you for translation.  Bring a Sesame file that you have already translated from Q&A.  Bring a Sesame file that you created from scratch.  Bring some Q&A files.  Most of all, bring yourself, your sense of humor, and the desire to explore these databases and have fun at the same time.

If you know of any other users of Q&A / Sesame, copy this email for them and invite them to join us.  See you on Saturday!  Bring your friends and associates, fun for all.  Discuss Sesame, Q&A, general computer hardware, software, and related issues.

RSVP appreciated,

Thanks,

Bob Hansen
===================================

Next meeting will be on Saturday, November 6, 2004.

Browse to http://www.sensiblesolutions.org/SesameNE.htm or http://www.sensiblesolutions.org/qanerug.htm for the latest information on meeting dates and directions to the meeting.

« Last Edit: Aug 19th, 2004 at 7:57pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 6:49pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob,

How did the S.A.N.E. meeting go on Saturday?

Did you come up with answers to your questions?

Can you share some of the issues the members are dealing with? Likes dislikes etc

Thanks

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 7:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob..

We spent the whole day inSANE just covering the first two items:
1.  Should I translate my Q&A database, just build in Sesame directly? 
2.  If I do translate, what steps do I need to take?

Probably did them in reverse order.  We covered the steps to take in Q&A before opening Sesame to translate.  Then used that information as a basis to determine if translating or building was the best option.

Some issues that came up that might be of interest.

1.  Users with Demo version of Sesame were unable to open the applications that were created over 30 days ago.  That has been brought up and discussed in the forum on this past Monday after return from the SANE meeting.  Since some users could not use the apps we were looking at, then we had to crowd around fewer systems when we all wanted look/try the same thing as a group.

2.  We discussed naming conventions, and the benefits to come up with a convention first, rename your Q&A databases, and your fields in Q&A before proceeding.  Let Q&A do all the renaming needed in the programming vs. needing to go through modules in Sesame Programming Editor.

3.  Included in the naming convention discussions was the benefit to name all databases with tbl prefix and to use frm as prefix for forms.   This provides for some nice advantages when reviewing syntax, especially in XLU types of commands.  That allowed for some common naming conventions to be carried into other applications that might link to Sesame, like Access.  (Depends on your own naming conventions).  And even though field names are not referenced in Sesame, we saw benefits to using prefixes on fields also.  When data is exported to other programs, having the field name included can be helpful in determining intended field type.  So we discusses using str, num, dat, tim, bn for strings, numbers(made no distinction for single, double, integers), date, time, boolean, etc.  We recognize that this is a personal subject and a standard will never exist.

4.  We went through about 75 lines of steps to take in Q&A before starting Sesame translate.

5.  Then we went through another 75 lines of things to do within Sesame after the translation.

6.  Without exception, everyone gets confused trying to do the Translation in the Designer.  After digging around for half hour, finally remember  it can't be done there.  Need to do in Database Mananger.  All feel it was counter-intuitive.

7.  Concerns about losing Saved Specs between current database, and Designer database during reconcile and timing needed to control that.  (Discussed in earlier forum subjects).

8.  Some time was spent where I demonstrated the use of a third party utility program I am working to create.   This functions as  Sesame editor with syntax highlighting, Search/Replace (using Regular Expressions as an option), a point/select/click insertion of Sesame commands with user friendly syntax already embedded, entire blocks of code can be here from a library Sesame Code that the user can create, the ability to replace new names of field elements in all program modules of the application at once (no need to open up each section in Sesame and Search/Replace one at a time)Has no ability to check syntax errors at this time, will need to do that in Sesame.

9.  Discussed the frustration of using correct terms for application, databases, fields, layout elements, etc.  It is constantly misused on the forum, in Inside Sesame, in various documentation sections.  Really need to work hard trying to force one another to use the correct terms.  Especially a problem when talking with each other!

Translate/Build from scratch?  It will always be a personal, individual call.  But we seemed to conclude that it might be easiest to created the database and form designs from scratch with predefined naming conventions that match the names that are changed in Q&A.  Then import the data, maybe multiple groups due to new structures of databases, then import/cut/paste the programming into the program editor after exporting it out of Q&A  into some type of text editor.

We wanted to test importing programming but ran out of time.  We never got to discuss the other items on the proposed agenda either: 
3.  Potential problems when doing Reconicle from Designer to Database 
4.  Can menus be made to replace the "Tree"s on the left? 
5.  Relational vs. "Natural" (hierarchal) designs choices. 

We traded copies of applications and various documentation, hints/help that had been collected from various sources.  Copied all the files onto one CD and passed it around to load on laptops that some people brought with them.  (Everyone swore they were virus free, heh, heh).  That included many of the technical web pages on Lantica site and a translation of Q&Answerman that I had done into Sesame.

At least three of us will be attending Users Conference in Baltimore.  I hope to have a version of my Sesame Editor alternative available at that time.  Got good feedback from SANE meeting last week.

Feel free to join us at our next SANE meeting on November 6, just one month after the Users Conference.

(Thanks for the kick.  Now I will have to update the SANE web site too.  I never usually get around to doing that).

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2004 at 8:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
You guys and gals of S.A.N.E are so lucky to have each other. The value of sharing information and ideas the way that your group does is incredible. (BRAVO)

Keep us posted to the information you SANE people discover. How about posting some of the applications, documentation, hints and help that you have compiled.

Bob, I look forward to seeing your Sesame Editor alternative program. It sounds Awesome!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged