Normal Topic merge and mode (Read 812 times)
sunnyjenna

No personal text

merge and mode
Aug 26th, 2004 at 1:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
When trying to do a merge doc I get Record01 contained too many data fields.

Can you tell me what that means?

Also what does locked mean in the mode window and what does the system limit me doing in locked Mode?

Thank you

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: merge and mode
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 1:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
When trying to do a merge doc I get Record01 contained too many data fields.

Can you tell me what that means?

This usually means that the word processor has been told to expect a merge file with (for example) 10 values per row, and you gave it a merge file with more than 10 values per row.

There are different causes for this, some of which depend on which word processor you are using.

Assuming you are making your merge data file by Exporting from Sesame, one thing that can cause trouble is the presence of the delimiter in an exported value. For example, say you are exporting using a double-quote (") delimiter. If one of your values contains a ", then the file will have an "extra" value. This can be a problem if you export the field names as a header row, because there will be one less field in the header than in the actual data values row(s).

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: merge and mode
Reply #2 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 2:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Also what does locked mean in the mode window and what does the system limit me doing in locked Mode?

Thank you

Sesame implements "record locking". Usually "locked" means that more than one form is displaying the same record. The other form may be another tab in your client or it might be an entirely different client on a different computer.

When a "form" is locked, all of the LEs on that form become read-only. You can navigate off of that form to another form (F10 / F9 / CTRL-Up Arrow), but any write / delete operations are prohibited. This is to prevent two different users from writing to the same record at the same time with different data. The user that gets there first "owns" that record.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged