Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sesame in Linux (Read 4231 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Sesame in Linux
Reply #15 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 9:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
In any case, if you have any intent of being cross platform, you should design with that in mind. Particularly: use relative paths (never use drive letters), use batch files / shell scripts in @shell to avoid direct access to the differences in OS / Shell command sets, do not assume that CR/LF pairs end lines in text files (Unix uses just LF), and be case sensitive (Unix is).
Once again, thanks Mark.  Notes taken and added to my library.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #16 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 9:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have used several versions of linux all mandrake and each version gave me a little more, I just had version 10 for about a week now.Version 8.. I had bad graphics no sound no modem, ver 9.2 I had great graphics, no sound and no modem, in ver 10. I've got great graphics,sound, still no modem, but if I get the modem to work in linux I'll be spending alot more time in linux, I don't see a day ever without windows in my lifetime, some software companies may take a while to convert their software to linux, but I see a future now for linux on the desktop for the first time, and as commodore was, the software will increase as the users grow.I really don't like the way windows try's to figure out what you want, and makes decisions on what it believes is best for you, loads software not requested and so on..... Angry

Thanks, Hammer,Ray,Alec,Cow and all the Lantican's for the great support and understanding in the learning process.... Cheesy

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #17 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 11:25am
Print Post Print Post  
For most Linuxes, the modem will not work initially. This is because most PCs now come with "winmodems". This is a modem that is hardware designed to be tightly integrated with Windows. I haven't had a problem once I connected an external modem or used a non-winmodem PCMCIA card modem.

Video support has been strange. It used to take a lot of tinkering to get it set up 100% right. The last two installs I did (Suse 8.0 and Red Hat 8.0) both dropped on without any difficulty at all. I later installed the (better) NVidia drivers (available only from NVidia), which aslo went on without incident.

Hardware support on Linux will never be as seamless as it is on Windows. But, unlike Windows, you can always get anything you have to eventually work - in that Linux lets you get at all the nuts and bolts.

Part of the philosophy of Unix (in general) is that flexibility is the ultimate in long term ease-of-use. So while the concepts in Unix may be initially harder than those is Windows - you never run into limitations built into the OS itself.

That is why, in Unix, you get so many choices. For example, in Windows, the user interface is built into and tightly integrated with the operating system - they cannot come apart. On Unix you can run your choice of any of dozens of user interfaces and desktops, ranging from mere command lines to the extravaganza that is OSX (Apple Macintosh). There are at least 50 different desktops available (most free!) and hundreds upon hundreds of themes. Most of these can be switched in and out without even a reboot. In fact, the user interface, the GUI, the desktop, are all simply applications that run on Unix. Desktop elements can even be mixed and matched. KDE desktop applications run like a dream on the Gnome Desktop.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #18 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 4:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark for all the Linux info,;

Still having a problem getting the images to display this is the path I put in application manager
/home/robert/Sesame/data

see anything wrong ?

Also the speed of Sesame in Linux is awesome !!! Grin

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #19 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 4:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Not on first glance. Did you make sure that this directory actually exists? Are your images in that directory? Remember that Linux is case Sensitive. If you go to your favorite shell (command line) and issue this command:

ls  /home/robert/Sesame/data

do you see a list of your images?

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #20 - Aug 27th, 2004 at 6:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Cheesy Cheesy

Got it !!

The path was right, but I had to go into each form that has a image attached to it and reinstall the image. When you would click on the image element it had
"/lb.jpg" not found  then when I reinstalled it the path changed to "/home/robert/Sesame/data/lb.jpg" and then it worked fine, might be a problem to someone going across platforms with large image databases.Luckily I just had a few, right now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print