Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Sesame in Linux (Read 4234 times)
proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Sesame in Linux
Aug 25th, 2004 at 8:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Should the forms built in windows look the same in Linux. I was experimenting with mine in Linux and the tabbed one was a mess.  Sad

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Sesame in Linux
Reply #1 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 8:18pm
Print Post Print Post  
Are you running the same version number of Sesame on Linux as you are on Windows?

Could you define "a mess"? Are things in the wrong position? Wrong colors? Other?

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #2 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Yes I'm using the same version 1.0.4 on both, on the tabbed form , you could not tell it was a tabbed form, it looked like one big mess nothing was right, there were some elements from each tab on the screen but it didnot look remotely like a form. I'm using mandrake Linux 10.0 and Sesame would crash after displaying it one time, Sesame just disappeared and the db was locked, had to overwrite it, second time same thing. The "single form" databases displayed correctly.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 8:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
The drawing routines are identical, so they should look the same.  There were some issues with Tabs in earlier versions of Sesame. Could you send the app in to Support, so I can see if there are any stray tab artifacts that might be confusing Linux?

- Hammer
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #4 - Aug 25th, 2004 at 8:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sure, Let me make sure my upgrade took to 1.0.4 before I start a fire. Grin

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #5 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 1:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
I attempted for about 2-hrs last night to e-mail the db it said it finally went thru about 9:30 Last night, but I'm not to sure it made it.   Angry

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #6 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 1:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello proudpoppy,

Your database made it through to support.

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #7 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 2:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Proudpoppy,

We looked at your app in SUSE, and all the tab pages look fine. We dug around until we found a tabbed form with an image, and we were able to get it to crash by clicking on it, so we'll pursue that and see where it leads us!

We are trying to get ahold of a more recent version of Mandrake to see if we can make the tabs go kerflooey.

- Hammer
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #8 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 2:44pm
Print Post Print Post  
Proudpoppy,

Your images are crashing because your Image Path is set to C:\Sesame\Data. Linux has no C drive and the slashes go the opposite way as Windows. Bottom line, Linux has no clue what you are talking about. Smiley

We'll take care of the crash, but you need to change your Image Path to a valid Linux path for your images to work.

Is there any way you could show us a screenshot of your messed up tabs, so we can get some idea of what we're looking for?

- Hammer
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #9 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 7:08pm
Print Post Print Post  
As soon as I click on that form to open it in search & update Sesame crashes, can't get it to open anymore.
If I have programming statements referring to the "c" drive or a specific path in windows, then would that make Sesame confused "or should I say Linux". I'm a real rookie in Linux, alot to learn there to.   Wink Seems like maybe best to build application in Linux if going to be used with Linux.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 7:27pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Your images are crashing because your Image Path is set to C:\Sesame\Data. Linux has no C drive and the slashes go the opposite way as Windows. Bottom line, Linux has no clue what you are talking about.

We'll take care of the crash, but you need to change your Image Path to a valid Linux path for your images to work. 
This sounds like we need two versions of an application if want to use on Windows and Linux?

I know that the image path is in the Application Settings, so that can be handled on site with installation. But I am thinking about code that might be using XLU or SHELL, Import/Export commands, etc. 

Perhaps there is some global code you can provide so we can check the OS and change values as needed?   This is not an immediate need (version 1.6 is more important).  Just trying again to get a complete picture of any limitations developers might be up against.  Want to plan ahead, and have to react to problems.

Thanks for making me think again...... Grin

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #11 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 7:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't see any paths in your Form programming for that Form. If you are able to get it to open again, please do give us any info you can. We are unable to get it to crash on SUSE or RedHat. We'll keep looking, but any clues you can provide will help.

Since you are a rookie, the way to get a screen shot is to arrange your windows so that Sesame is visible, then type the following command on a command line:

import -window root screenshot.jpg

This will save a shot of your desktop as screenshot.jpg.

- Hammer
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #12 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 8:05pm
Print Post Print Post  
Note to Self:

When I get home remove egg from face.. Grin Grin Grin

Being a rookie in linux was the problem not Sesame, I had made a icon on the desktop in linux to Sesame when it was ver.1.0 "I believe I actually moved the "Sesame.bin" to the desktop.When I looked in the sesame folder the Sesame.bin file was updated and I never seen the "Sesame 1.0" at the top left of the screen until a few minutes ago, I have corrected the problem and it is running smooth as it does in xp, maybe better. Sorry for the goose chase, boy so much to learn so little time.   Grin Grin now I know how my wife feels when she's beating on the puter,  Wink

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 8:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
For the most part Sesame can deal with the directory separators being opposite ("\" replaced by "/") in paths. In most situations it will replace the offended slash with a slash going the correct directtion for the OS you are running ("/" for Linux and "\" for Win32). I'm not sure about FileOpen - it may still use unfiltered slashes (I'll look into it).

The Linux version of Sesame is upset with the actual incorrectness (the specified path does not exist) of the image path, not with the wrong slashes. You should be okay with the image path if you edit the image path in the application manager to an existing image directory on the Linux computer. It should, at that time, correct the image path to use the slashes for the hosting OS.

In any case, if you have any intent of being cross platform, you should design with that in mind. Particularly: use relative paths (never use drive letters), use batch files / shell scripts in @shell to avoid direct access to the differences in OS / Shell command sets, do not assume that CR/LF pairs end lines in text files (Unix uses just LF), and be case sensitive (Unix is).

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #14 - Aug 26th, 2004 at 8:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
...and it is running smooth as it does in xp, maybe better.

I hope you enjoy using Unix. I come from the "Unix World" and really like to see the occasional convert. The Linux version of Sesame (which is 99.98% based on the same code as the Windows version) runs most engine operations between 30% and 300% faster. I move back and forth from Windows and Linux arbitrary as I work on Sesame - working for a week or two on one OS and then switching for a while. I try to make sure the development never leans too far one way or the other.

A lot of Win/DOS users get intimidated by Unix. It used to be that the install programs were something of a black art. But with each new version of Suse, Red Hat, and Mandrake that I see, the install, desktop, and general feel, is getting friendlier and friendlier. A lot of the Linux distributions now have "boot from CD" versions, that allow you to try Linux without installing anything onto your harddrive. They create a "ram disk" in place of your harddrive - so you can create and write files. You can even install and run Sesame on these CD versions. Great for internet and web surfing (which really is a Unix oriented environment).

Linux is slowly growing in popularity and in actual size. The number of programs (both professional and freeware) available for Linux is actually becoming quite extraordinary. Much of it is original to Linux and evokes a lot of the pride in craftsmanship that was the hallmark of early computing.

So if you miss the days when computers and software were involved in a sense of community, where end-user and developer were not so distant from one another (often interchangeable), where software was not merely a way to make money, and where (every once in a while) you got your hands dirty and acted as your own mechanic - Linux may well be a great choice.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print