Normal Topic F4 Shortcut Key (Read 6050 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

F4 Shortcut Key
Sep 25th, 2004 at 2:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I really miss the F4 delete functionality that Q&A had.

I notice that Sesame doesn't use F4 for anything (except for Alt-F4). Is there any chance of implementing an F4 delete word (or field) feature for Sesame?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: F4 Shortcut Key
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2004 at 3:43pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame cannot use the F4 key because MS has claimed it for their own, intercepts it, and will close the window. (I wish they would leave the function keys as application specific - all of them!)

You can clear a LE by hitting CTRL-U (like SHIFT-F4 in Q&A). You can highlight a single word by double clicking on that word within the text LE. CTRL-K will delete to the end of the line (like CTRL-F4 in Q&A).

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2004 at 5:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
I thought that MS only uses Alt-F4 (not F4 by itself) to close a window. In MSWord, F4 will repeat the last action. I have other programs that also use F4 for their own actions.

Thanks for pointing out the other CTRL-_ shortcuts. CTRL-U and CTRL-X are close to what I want. F4 was easier though, because it was just a single key I could hit while one hand was still on the mouse. Old habits are hard to break, I guess. Smiley

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 12:48pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I thought that MS only uses Alt-F4 (not F4 by itself) to close a window. In MSWord, F4 will repeat the last action. I have other programs that also use F4 for their own actions.

If we were willing to get very deeply involved in the WIndows event loop - we could intercept F4 as well. But, Sesame is a cross platform product, and any code that needs to be that specific to a particular platform has to be well considered, isolated from the rest of the system, and is not (in general) a good thing.

I would like to add some more keystrokes for navigating and editing within a text field - so keep your eyes on the release notes.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2004 at 1:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks Mark. I'll be sure to check out the release notes.

Carl Underwood
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged