Normal Topic PRINTING FORMS (Read 2624 times)
putermann

No personal text

PRINTING FORMS
Jan 19th, 2005 at 9:56pm
Print Post Print Post  
I want to create a data entry FORM (not a report) that when printed will fill a standard 8.5 X 11 page. Please tell me there is some simple way to do this that has escaped me. I have done numerous trial and errors of adjusting the screen size in designer mode and have gotten close to what I want - PLEASE - there has to be a simpler way !  Why can't we have pop-up rulers in design mode (calibrated in inches). Surely I'm not the only one that wants to do this.

Gene.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: PRINTING FORMS
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2005 at 10:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Gene,
As long as your height and width are proportional to the size of the paper that you are using, then you will print using as much of the paper as possible. So your forms height divided by it's width should equal the height of your paper divided by it's width. Here is an example using an 8 1/2 by 11 piece of paper and a form width of  500.

X/500 = 11/8.5
X/500 = 1.294
X = 1.294 * 500
X = 647

So if the width of your form is 500 then your height will need to be about 647.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

putermann

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 12:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray
Appreciate the help - actually 500 X 647 will give you a printout approximately proportional to an 8.5 X 11 page but it won't fill it. I finally worked out and tested that a designer screen size of 770 X 1025 will give you an 8.5 X 11 page with a half inch border all around - which is as big as you can go even though my printer will actually print with only a 1/4" border.

This is still a ridiculous way to have to accomplish the setup. A scaled ruler is what's needed - like word processors and page layout and drawing, and most every other software has.

Gene.

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 2:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
We will be adding more desktop publishing features in close correspondence to market demands. These may well include a ruler, object grouping, grids, and layers. No promises, but if the market is there, I can make an argument to get the development costs paid for.

In the meantime, Sesame does use a 1/2 inch default margin. To change the default, use the PrintPageMargin SBasic command at any point, and subsquent printing will use the margin you set instead.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #4 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 5:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
putermann,

When I needed to design my forms for 8.5*11 I had lots of trouble, finally I contacted tech-support and received the following response it solved all my problems.

Sesame prints a form differently to how Q&A does.  It *SCALES* the form to the page.  If you take a form which is not large, and is page-shaped - like the CUSTOMERS.DB form in the samples - and print it, it will print to fill the printed page. If you then re-design that form by EITHER making it twice the length, or twice the width, and then print it again, the detail area of the form will be much much smaller.  The WHOLE page is scaled to fit.  So, it seems that your Sesame form is considerably bigger than the area that contains the layout elements. It might be too long, or too wide, or both.  If you open it in designer and make the form smaller I think you may find it will print much more to your liking.

To resize the form, click in an empty area and press Shift + arrow keys. If you find you can't make it any smaller, there may be a layout element which is not properly visible, like a self-coloured one or an empty static. Rubber-band the area and it might show up. If that doesn't work, right-click on the form and select "delete Q&A line draw characters" if that option appears. You sometimes get this even if there is no Q&A line-draw visible. You won't have to do this more than once.

You can safely use the font of your choice : you don't need to keep the Q&A fixed-pitch font (which was used for maximum compatibility).

Good Luck

IP Logged

putermann

No personal text

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 9:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
Proudpoppy;

I understand what you're saying. I'm not (wasn't) having a problem sizing the screen. The whole thing I wa trying to do was to create a WYSIWYG form that would print like it looked on screen and I need to be able to use as much screen width as possible for data fields. Anyway I finally found the answer by putting a static line at the top,bottom, and sides of the screen area and test printing in "preview" until it wa right. That turned out to be a screen size of 760 X 1025 for an 8.5 X 11 page with 1/2" margins. Now I know how much screen width I have to work with to acheive the end result I want.

I agree that this is not something I would need to do for most form designs, however when you do need to design for a specific result there's just no sense having to gotothat much agrivation.

Gene.

IP Logged

putermann

No personal text

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 10:09pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark Lasersohn

"We will be adding more desktop publishing features in close correspondence to market demands. These may well include a ruler, object grouping, grids, and layers."

Mark
I appreciate the hope and obviously I would love to see as many of these types of features as possible however it may be more feasible in the short term to just add some real basics like calibrated rulers and perhaps grids if possible. If that's not possible in the short term, perhaps there could be a "page setup" choice added to the menu in Designer. Anything that would help would be greatly appreciated.

You all have done a GREAT job - keep on.

Gene.

IP Logged

digimom1962

Natalie Gann

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 3:57pm
Print Post Print Post  
While we have our Christmas list out, how about a zoom feature? I have an 8.5x11 size form too and it is sometimes hard to picture where you are on the page when you have to scroll so much. I just print right now but zoom would be faster and fits right in with all those other lovely features you are teasing us with . . .  Roll Eyes

So much time and so little to do . . . strike that, reverse it.
YIM YIM  
IP Logged