Normal Topic How is Sesame working for you? (Read 5098 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

How is Sesame working for you?
Jan 22nd, 2005 at 4:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
With all the capabillities Sesame provides to it's users, I thought it would be great to start a discussion here to see how you are putting Sesame to use.

With all the helpful users that frequent this discussion board, including 'The Lantican's' themselves, the entire community could benefit.

Feel free to give us the details of what you are currently using Sesame for, as well as how you plan to use Sesame in the future.

Steve
(BobScott, Thanks for getting the ball rolling.)

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: How is Sesame working for you?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2005 at 4:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
At present, we are using Sesame to manage about 30,000 products on our e-commerce website. Sesame handles all the pricing, product descriptions, thumbnail and detailed images, etc. Using the File I/O commands we export data to a .csv file then upload/download data to the site as needed.

We also use Sesame in an 'Invoice-like' application to import orders from the website as well as enter phone orders. Xlookups pull data from the above application when needing to retrieve product information for a specific order. Using Sbasic placed in about 15 different buttons, we can effortlessly email our customers invoices, order confirmations, print packing slips, sales totals, etc.

I plan to 'whip up' a small application that will work with a barcode scanner to handle Inventory Counting as well as emailing results to management and print reports as needed.

Eventually, we would like to rely on Sesame to replace our stores cash registers and credit card machines. Using Sesame to dial in for credit card authorizations, collect customer signatures, operate cash drawers, etc.

At this point, I do not see a limit to Sesame's capabilities. After skimming my Sesame programming guide for the past 12 months, asking lots of questions here, and pouring over Inside Sesame each month, I feel my only limitation is my own level of creativity.

Long live Sesame!

Steve

IP Logged

Warren_S.A

No personal text

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2005 at 5:04am
Print Post Print Post  
I work for a Small Home sale Supply Company.
I am currently trying to create a program for our customers to move to a multi level marketing system at the same time control their business better and thereby buy more form us.

Will they buy it ????????

Sesame has become a great program since the upgrade

IP Logged

josebetzy

Hmmm. How? Cómo?

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 1:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello All. I have been away for several months and have returned. Getting up to date on everything that has changed. This thread is a good one because it opens up the realm of possibiities for Sesame.

I service and have been for the last 15 years post secondary institutions here in Puerto Rico (colleges, vocational schools, etc.).  The application handles the offices of Prospects, Admisions, Registration, Financial Aid, Job Placement. My current QA5 clients I am trying to change over to Sesame. This is taking some time as I begin and have been trying the many new features. I still would like and hope that necessary features will be included (in my opinion) in future releases. 

Jose L. Muñoz
Puerto Rico

Jose L. Muñoz

IP Logged

walt

Reply #4 - Feb 26th, 2005 at 7:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Unfortunately I'm still on the outside looking in.

Using Q&A, I had developed a very comprehensive application designed for a niche market. Although it was loaded with features, it was also designed for extreme simplicity since the people on the keyboard were always clerical types who are not computer savy. Since I sold about 100 of these apps with sales projected at 1,000, there was no way I could leave myself open to all kinds of phone support, so the programs were also loaded with Help. Since everything was self-contained in Q&A this was possible.

But unlike Q&A, Sesame is reliant on two external programs for word processing and report printing, thereby  increasing the complexity of the system to a point where I no longer feel confident of providing simplicity to the user.

However, I'd still be willing to give it a try if not for the the larger problem posed by lack of control over page numbering and column headers on multi-page reports, as my apps made extensive use of these. I'm afraid I'd be painting myself into a corner. (Typical reports are over 20 pages WITHOUT Group Breaks).

In a former post re: reports, Mark said something about how you had to make a choice between offering the printing attributes of the browser v. creating your own report printer, but I never understood why it had to be either/or, why you couldn't provide both. (Same with the word processor. In an early issue of Inside Sesame Mark mentioned that including one would take him 2 years of programming? I can understand his reluctance. But visualizing what happens on my user's side when they try to print mail merged letters gets very spooky. Even once I get a new user trained on how to set up Word, what happens when another untrained clerical type is asked to do the job? What happens when someone at their end replaces the current version? etc, etc.) Another answer I recall was that the report issue would be reconsidered based on frequency of user requests. Well, here's another one from a current post...

Quote -. "Report and Group headers - would like to actually be able to repeat on second and subsequent pages of reports"

Hammer's response - "HTML does not really have the concept of "pages" so neither do Sesame reports. I'm afraid this isn't really doable in this version. The Group Headers will repeat each time a Group breaks."

If you could simply provide the same control Q&A offered I'd be back in business. I guess there's still no word on when such a version will become available?

Thanks.

Unrelated minor request -
The next time you produce a manual could you also add page numbers to the cross-references. When I first got Sesame I think I spent about 3 days tracing them down and writing them in on my original copy. Drove me nuts.

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 10:23am
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Walt -

I'm just picking up on your last point..

"Unrelated minor request -
The next time you produce a manual could you also add page numbers to the cross-references. When I first got Sesame I think I spent about 3 days tracing them down and writing them in on my original copy. Drove me nuts.
"

I have just finalised the Sesame 1.1 User Guide. It is greatly enhanced, with all the new features between 1.0 and 1.1 added. As for your cross-references: as I went through the manual I changed any cross-references I came to to include page numbers, and added page numbers for any new ones added. However I did not go through the whole manual looking for such references (they have variable wording) and changing them to show page numbers. As you may be aware this is a multi-stage process and it would be very time-consuming.

With the new User Guide there's a new index. It's completely new, it's much more comprehensive and it's also, I think, much more relevant. I think you'll all find it makes using the manual more convenient. You should be able to turn to the index and find the term you're searching for, first time. So it should not prove so frustrating if there's a cross-reference to another section that does not have a page number.

This new User Guide should be available for download as a PDF file very soon, and available as a printed manual in a couple of weeks. New users will of course get the new manuals. Existing users will be able to purchase the 1.1 manuals to replace their existing 1.0 manuals + supplement(s).

Alec
IP Logged

pineberry

No personal text

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 3:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Alec

Glad to see your response to Walt.  Sounds GREAT. I am looking forward to getting the new manual.

Harley

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 5:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Great news Alec.

Just a reminder, it would be great if you don't lock the PDF that prevents us from making our own notes.  Some of us do have tools that allow us to edit PDF files if they are not locked.  When an appendum comes out I find it easier to modify the master manuals with the noted changes, vs. trying to remember what changes are in the appendum.

We also need the ability to do Copy and Paste from the manual, code samples, etc.

Regarding cross references, I think that Walt may be referring to those sections of the manual that say "See Advanced Programming".  That is where the page numbers are needed. 

This is another example of where our ability to edit the manual would be helpful, we can add our own cross references, our own relevent sample code, etc. where we think we need it.  Sometimes it is helpful to make cross references to certain postings on this forum.

Thanks for continuing to work on this with constant improvements.  Looking forward to the latest version.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

walt

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for your response Alec.

I appreciate how much work and time goes into what you're doing. Its hard work without many plaudits.
I also recall a comment in one of the manual prefaces about the manuals being the result of three authors but it might have been good to have one person do a final review for inconsistencies, errors, omissions, etc. But please don't take this as a criticism.

"As you may be aware this is a multi-stage process and it would be very time-consuming. "

Don't quite understand "multi-stage process".
Re: "Time consuming"...The more of this you can do, the less it will require from your customers.

Bob - I meant ALL cross-references. "See..........."

For a fun book on this subject, get a copy of "Zen and the art of motercycle maintenance"

IP Logged

Alec
Lanticans

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2005 at 8:50pm
Print Post Print Post  
"I also recall a comment in one of the manual prefaces about the manuals being the result of three authors but it might have been good to have one person do a final review for inconsistencies, errors, omissions, etc. But please don't take this as a criticism. "

- Be assured, the manual was subject to a great deal of "review for inconsistencies, errors, omissions", and this applies to all subsequent supplements and updates !

"As you may be aware this is a multi-stage process and it would be very time-consuming. Don't quite understand "multi-stage process". "

- You can't just say "See page 123" because the page number needs to be dynamic and change with future edits. Without going into technicalities, it takes 3 stages to get that little number printed correctly.

"Re: "Time consuming"...The more of this you can do, the less it will require from your customers."

- Agreed. But all tasks are constrained by time and budget. I think you'll find that where there are still vague references to another part of the manual, rather than a page number, that the much improved index will make it a simple task to go to the right place. At least, I hope so.

I hope that users will report INDEX OMISSIONS whenever they encounter them.  Email them to support@lantica.com

Alec

Alec
IP Logged