Normal Topic Reports - Temp Changes (Read 1315 times)
Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reports - Temp Changes
Nov 15th, 2004 at 10:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
1.  I can define reports with Saved Specs.  These specs will ignore the current record set and only show those records that comply with the Saved Report Specs.  That is good.

2.  I can define reports with no Saved Specs.  This allows me to do real time definition of the current record set, so only those records, selected now, will be on the Report.   That is good.

3. How can I have the user call up the report with the Saved Specs, and make temporary changes to that Report, similar to what we could do in Q&A?

I may want to use a Report with pre-defined Sort Specs and predefined Retrieve Specs, but allow the user to modify only the Date Range, or just the Customer Name, etc.  Currently, if the user knew what the Saved Report Specs are, they could at least manually call up those Saved Specs.  But more common is the situation where the end user may not know the names of the Saved Report Specs, so it will just be trial an error.

Right now I use a different naming convention for reports that can be defined at time of use, and those that have non-changeable Saved Report Specs.

Hmmmm, maybe some programming with an AskUser command to define Date Range, Customer Name, etc. at time report is run? 
OR
Maybe a Report Utility that prompts for a number of variables with defaults already inserted?  Based on results of prompts/combo boxes, certain macros could be called to execute the Retrieve/Sort parameters, then run the canned report.

Until then,  I look forward to being told that I have overlooked a simple report tool, and that tool is called ???  ???

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Re: Reports - Temp Changes
Reply #1 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 12:54am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Bob,

I have set up my reports with attached SORT specs only -- NO retrieve specs. That way I can use Atl-F8 at the search screen to select a saved retrieve spec (being named the same as the report they belong with), which then gives me the chance to make temporary changes (or not) before pressing F10.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Reports - Temp Changes
Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 3:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for suggestion Carl.

Could do similar thing with Sort Specs also.  But would like to avoid making long lists of Sort/Retrieve Specs for every report when may only have minor differences.  Much easier to have a few Specs that can be modified.  Will give this some thought.  If just for me as end user, that might work.  But most of my needs are for other end users, want to keep them away from the menu trees, just click on buttons.

In Q&A I would have menus that call a macro that calls up reports, answers YES to Temp Changes, then leaves them at list of Report Names to choose from.  But they can still start from the predefined Report Specs, then make Temp Changes all they want.

Same as you, struggling to get away from comfortable Q&A tools and methods.  It's painful at times, but gotta go forward.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged