Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Custom Menu (Read 7942 times)
proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Custom Menu
Nov 4th, 2004 at 6:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does anyone have examples of custom menu's they could post ?
Tips on creating custom menu's?

I have created custom menu's that work off command buttons using macro's, the problem comes in trying to return to the custom menu after executing a command button macro.I read that Bill Halperm had a demostration at the users conference that addressed this, maybe someone would shed some light on this for those of us who couldn't attend.  Wink

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Custom Menu
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 5:48am
Print Post Print Post  
It's been a long time since I "toyed" with a custom menu, but here's an idea:

Why not use another command button with a macro to exit from the record and return back to the menu.

So 1 macro FROM the menu, and 1 macro BACK TO the menu.

Sound good?

Steve

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 1:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
I tryed a on form exit macro to take me back, but for some reason it didn't work, I searched the archives yesterday and found another thread on the subject that helped a little, still trying to figure that thread out, also talked with insidesesame, and a upcoming edition will have a featured article on it.,soon I hope  Wink, seems to me like a better method would be sbasic programming, I'll keep on it till I get it. Grin The command tree is no problem for me, but when other employee's begin to use the program a custom menu system would avoid alot of problems.

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 3:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I agree with you about the benefit of a menu. Our users are having a really hard time adjusting to sesame. They never learned the in and outs of Q&A, so they are lost in Sesame:

With Q&A's speed, they have gotten into the habit of just hitting escape to 'back out ' of any mistakes they have made and restart. They can do it without thinking and its FAST. Not so in Sesame....at least not yet.

I'll be eager to see that article in Inside Sesame, too. Should be a big help for many of us.

Keep us posted if you learn anything new.

Steve

ps. Something about @setdefaulttab or something like that may be a key to issue. I think its a new 1.1 function.

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 4:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
With Q&A's speed, they have gotten into the habit of just hitting escape to 'back out ' of any mistakes they have made and restart. They can do it without thinking and its FAST. Not so in Sesame....at least not yet.

Hello Steve,

Escape works the same way in Sesame. Where in your application does Escape not exit the form or does so slowly?

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2004 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Thanks for the concern. Escape works fine, but the forms 'load' MUCH slower than Q&A (I'm running p4 3ghz w/1gb ram XP pro). In Q&A everything happens instantly, not so with Sesame.

Because of the familiarity and SPEED of Q&A, our users dont need to think. Numerous mistakes and erronous keystrokes can be made up for by banging a few times on the escape key, then mindlessly slamming out 2 or 3 keystrokes to get them where they need to be, instantly. Never reaching for the mouse, never 'misfiring' on the wrong form.

No sifting through a tree, accidently opening wrong forms, accidentally double clicking (which tends to load the wrong form), etc etc.

Basically, the user interface is very different from Q&A's 'memorized' keystrokes. But, I think we all agree its for the better!

Perhaps my forms are overly saturated with buttons and programs so they tend to load slowly (3-5 seconds seems slow compared to Q&A,). As I learn sbasic, I see how more efficient they could be, especially with the functions available in 1.1.

I know things will improve with time, and it takes time to learn ANYTHING new so we'll work until we get it as smooth as possible and we'll struggle a bit along the way.

HOWEVER, I think this is for the better. Sesame has endless potential and has already become FAR more flexible than anything WE can currently do in Q&A.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but I appreciate the opportunity to share our experience with Sesame, seeing that we are committed and will be using it for a LONG time!

Steve

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 2:07pm
Print Post Print Post  
I got the custom menu's working last night all with "@selecttreeitem" commands, I put a command button on the forms to save the record and then call the menu back, not as sleek as I'd like but it works great, used tab forms for the menu, I'd post some screen shots if I knew how to do it. About the speed of Sesame if we all could run in Linux it runs in turbo mode, don't know what the difference is between windows & linux with the speed but it was a real eye opener, I'm guessing its the extra "fat" in the windows operating system. Cheesy
Thanks to Bob Hansen, and Ray I was able to post some screen shots.
http://tinypic.com/m34ly
http://tinypic.com/m34sn
http://tinypic.com/m3511
http://tinypic.com/m352b
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2004 at 3:54pm by proudpoppy »  

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2004 at 2:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
About the speed of Sesame if we all could run in Linux it runs in turbo mode, don't know what the difference is between windows & linux with the speed but it was a real eye opener, I'm guessing its the extra "fat" in windows.

We develop simultaneously in both Linux and Win32, so there are very few code differences between the two versions. The Sesame data engine does run much faster in Linux. This is primarily due to the much better memory / filesystem management in Unix than MS, not due to any differences actually in Sesame.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #8 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 1:09am
Print Post Print Post  
I have been experimenting with menus.  Attached are some screen shots of some of my menu toys.  I had these with me at the Users Conference, done with 1.0.4

========================
The first screenshot has two images in the same shot for convenience here.

My first attempt was to make the existing Q&A users feel comfortable with Sesame, make it look and feel the same.   Really looks like Q&A but it really different Sesame forms being called up. Used lines with boxes and buttons.   The choices are buttons that call other forms.  Positioning is critical between forms to prevent jumpiong image of forms changing.

First image is my "Q&A style" Sesame Main Menu. 
Second image is result after clicking on File..

======================
The second screenshot has three images in one shot, again for convenience here.

I really wanted to consider something like a "normal" Main Menu Bar at the top.  Here are the results

First view is the "normal" Menu Bar at the Top.
The second image is the result after clicking on File, which does a drop down list. 
Clicking on Design File opens the menu to the right, and dropping to the bottom and clicking on Customize Application results in the third image.

=======================
The third shot is a screen shot of the Menu Bar System in the Design Mode.  It is just a bunch of buttons that turn Visibility On/Off when clicked.  This is what is underneath the images just shown above.

Buttons can actually be laid over other buttons since only one branch would be visible at any one time.  Use different colors for each drop down branch with a slight offset to the button so you can see where you have buttons on the form. 

I had to use a "Reset" button to minimize them all back to the Main Menu again, but not a big deal.  (Could probably use invisibility status to reverse branches).  One button does it all.  Use of "special characters indicates where branches will extend.

And one more button to Exit the Menu Bar system.

With some planning of labels, and the use of OnImmediateChange programming, these could be made to trigger when the first letter of each is typed.
----------------------------------
Again, these are just experimental toys.  I apologize for any typos, bad colors, unrealisitc menu choices, etc.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2004 at 6:12pm by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #9 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 11:43am
Print Post Print Post  
Nice Toys  Grin

IP Logged

Leezerd

I wish I had a better
picture than this...

Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2004 at 9:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
proudpoppy,
Could you post some examples of the code you used to create your menus.  I'm trying to do the same thing.

Thanks

How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all.

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #11 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 1:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
To add a work order:

Var vsuccess as Int

vSuccess = @SelectTreeItem("gha!forms!add data!Masterwo!Masterwo")
If vSuccess = 0
{
  Writeln("It Failed")
}
To Search for a work order:
Var vsuccess as Int

vSuccess = @SelectTreeItem("gha!forms!Search/Update!masterwo!masterwo")
If vSuccess = 0
{
  Writeln("It Failed")
}  

Then I put a command button on the form to call back the menu:

Var Vsuccess as Int
@Save
VSuccess = @SelectTreeItem("gha!forms!add data!splashscreen!mainmenu")
If vsuccess= 0
{
Writeln("It failed")
}

Not pretty but it works. Grin Grin

IP Logged

Leezerd

I wish I had a better
picture than this...

Reply #12 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 2:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does your db open to your main menu page?  How do you do that?  Will your command buttons switch between tab pages?  If so how do you do that?

Ok.  I figured out how to close the command area on form entry.  Can you create command buttons to switch between tab pages?
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2004 at 5:28pm by Leezerd »  

IP Logged

Leezerd

I wish I had a better
picture than this...

Reply #13 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 5:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK.  Forget what I said about closing the command area on form entry.  Thats not what I wanted.  Can I get my db to start on a menu page? With out the Sesame Database Manager screen appearing?

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #14 - Nov 18th, 2004 at 8:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Does your db open to your main menu page?

Mine don't, but I read somewhere that you could do that by calling a macro with a startup switch something like this "c:\sesame\programs\sesame.exe - @macro("mainmenu") the instructions maybe on this board.Its in archives pg.#5 "Custom Menus"

Will your command buttons switch between tab pages?

No but a new command in 1.0.5 should help with that.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print