Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Hyperlink Fields? (Read 49452 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Hyperlink Fields?
Feb 2nd, 2005 at 3:42am
Print Post Print Post  
I would like to know whether Sesame supports hyperlinks (similar to inserting a hyperlink field in an Access database).  There are three things I want to do:

1)  I want a "static" link which simply has a web-site address of the USPS Zip+4 lookup.  I want it to open the web-site, so I can enter an address, when necessary, to look up the zip+4 zipcode.

2) I want to save an e-mail address in a field and - when I click on the address - I want it to open my e-mail program with the e-mail address in the "TO" block of a new message.

3)  I want a "directions" field with a link to a specific Word document.  When I click on the field, I want it to open the directions saved as a word document.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: Hyperlink Fields?
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 4:24am
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Spencer.....

For your email issue, check out this link.  I provided some answers to this in the past:

http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=archived;action=display...

Link above is third page of original question that started on here:
http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=archived;action=display...

A lot to read but there was some confusion about Outlook and Outlook Express, and differing syntax.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 5:13am
Print Post Print Post  
Bob -

Well that got me "partially" there.  I modified the programming to:

var n as Int  
var vRecipient as String

vRecipient = LE13  
n = @SHELL(@CHR(34) + "C:\Program Files\IncrediMail\bin\IncMail.exe" + @CHR(34) + " /c ipm.note /m " + vRecipient)  

LE13 is the element that contains the e-mail address.  The executable is for Incredimail, the specific e-mail program I use.

When I click on the address it DOES open Incredimail as a new message; however, the "TO" block is empty.  

Unfortunately, I don't understand the programming at all.  What I loved about Q&A is that it had it's own "commands" which were fairly straight-forward and easy to learn.  It seems to me that my biggest problem is using "basic" programming language.  I tried to adjust to it in Access and just found it too unwieldy for my personal taste.

It is nice that I could just cut, paste and modify your code, but it's frustrating that I don't have a clue what it is doing.  lol

The nearest I can figure is that perhaps you included a "switch" with Outlook that allows insertion of the TO block.  Is that so?  If so, perhaps I need a different "switch" for Incredimail but how on earth would I know?

In any event, thanks much for your help.  I'm glad that, at least, I got this far but in order to make it viable, I need the address automatically inserted in the TO block.

Any further suggestions?

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 5:16am
Print Post Print Post  
Untested thought about Web page hyperlink. 

Could have a "link" show on a form that calls @Shell opening your browser, opening the webpage for USPS.

Check the command line syntax for the browser you are using.  Include the full path of your browser in the @shell command.

Something like this to launch Zip Code finder with Mozilla:
Code
Select All
var vBrowser as int

vBrowser = @Shell("C:\Program Files\Mozilla.org\mozilla\mozilla.exe http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp")

If Not vBrowser = 0 Then
     @Msg("Couldn’t start Browser") 

Again, this is untested, may need some more "s somewhere but this should get you started.

-----------------------------------------
Some random thoughts:

To make a "hyperlink" you could add an unbound text element without borders.  You could draw a thin line underneath to make it look like text for link is underlined.
----------
How about entering a zip code with a leading * and programming to strip off the leading * and then open zip code web page based on first character being *
----------------
How about doing XLU in same database and if not found then open up the web page for usps?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 5:22am
Print Post Print Post  
I am not familiar with Incredimail, but check out their HELP for command line options, and adjust the code accordingly.  It may be possible that none are available.

Don't forget that Sesame also has a SendMail command which  eliminates the need for an email client. 

Also remember that most browsers have built in email clients, that probably have commmand line switches for that also.......

..... Just some thoughts at this early hour in the morning ........

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 5:37am
Print Post Print Post  
I just did some Googling and could find no site that mentioned command lines as an option with IntelliMail.  So this will be a shortcoming of your email client, not a problem with Sesame. 

Maybe consider another email client?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 5:54am
Print Post Print Post  
The link to open Internet Explorer is not working at all.

I used:

var vBrowser as int

vBrowser = @Shell("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp")

If Not vBrowser = 0 Then
     @Msg("Couldn’t start Browser")

I can see the black screen flash; however, it does not start Internet Explorer nor does it give me the error message)

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 5:58am
Print Post Print Post  
I have been very happy with Incredimail so I really don't want to consider another e-mail client.  I couldn't find anything in their on-line help - so I wrote for VIP support.  They are usually pretty good in responding.  Hopefully, they'll have a solution for me.

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 6:49am
Print Post Print Post  
This is the latest programming I have used to access a specific web-site:

var IEfailure as Int 

IEfailure = @shell(@Chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp" + @Chr(34))
IF NOT IEfailure = 0 THEN 
   @Msg("Couldn't open web browser") 
// @Shell returns a 0 if it is successful, a 1 if it fails 

From everything I pieced together it seems to me that this should work.  It doesn't.  I can see the black screen resulting from the @shell command; however the internet site is not opened and I do not get the error message.

Help ... Please ...  Thanks

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 3:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello,

I believe that the Code below will work for you.

Code
Select All
var IEfailure as Int

IEfailure = @shell(@Chr(34) + "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" + @Chr(34) + " http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp")

If IEfailure <> 0 Then
{
} 

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 4:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I'll be darned if I can see why the minor variation in programming should make a difference (in other words it appears that the original code should work as well) but IT DOES!  Clicking on the field opens the precise web-page that I want.  THANK YOU!

I am left with two problems, one a little bigger than the other.

The "big" problem is that now I cannot open my database.  When I try to open it I get a "failed to open" message.  Since I am working with a new database and don't have many records in it, I suppose this is not really a major problem.  I can create a new database, I presume, from the .dsr file.  It scares me though to think that this could happen so easily to a heavily populated database.  And yes, of course, I would have a backup of the database, before I started any redesign work.  But still ........

Likewise, if I try to "reconcile" the .dsr file to the .db file I get a similar message: I believe it says that application is in use (even though it is not).

The "other" problem (which may be related) is that when I use Alt/Tab to switch back to Sesame, I am at a screen that says Command.Exe (or something like that).  I want to be back at the form I shelled from .... so that I can copy and paste the address to the USPS zip-lookup web page.

Any suggestions?

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 4:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

In your syntax @Shell was looking for a directory or filename with the path of  "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp", without the quotes.

The error that was flashing by on the black screen says "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

By moving the CHR(34) up @Shell was told to look for the file "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" and then pass it the argument "http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp"

As for the application being locked. When Sesame gets improperly shut down the application that it has open becomes locked. This is a harmless condition. To unlock a locked application follow these steps

Double check that the file is not actually in use.
In Sesame Click File
Click Server Administration
On the unlock application tab double click on your DB file.

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 4:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Whew - Thank you Ray, I feel much better about the "locked file" situation .... something I had not been aware of.

Also, I very much appreciate your explanation of why the variance in programming makes the difference.  I can see it now.

So, once again, I am making great progress, thank you, but am still left with the one minor problem.

I want to be able to look at the two "forms" (i.e. the USPS web page and the Sesame open record) side by side.  The probem, is that when I alt/tab or otherwise have the Sesame dababase appear, there is a "screen" labeled C:=Windows\system32\cmd.exe.

I found that if I close the web-page, the screen will disappear and my Sesame form reappears; however, I do NOT want to do this, since I need them both open.

I CAN X on the C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe screen and return to my form (with both now visible); however, this is awkward and I prefer to have the unwanted screen disappear automatically.   Can this be done?

- Spencer

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 4:39pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Spencer,

Try this

Code
Select All
var IEfailure as Int

IEfailure = @asynchshell("http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp")

If IEfailure <> 0 Then
{
} 

-Ray

ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2005 at 4:59pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

YOU ARE A GEM!

First of all, I love the simplified programming.   I guess that windows knows what my default browser is, so I don't have to include the cumbersome programming to open Internet Explorer.  This makes it so much easier for me to complete programming to any web-page I want.  THANK YOU!

Also, apparently using the @synchshell (instead of @shell) took care of the unwanted screen. 

I am VERY HAPPY with this solution!  THANK YOU!!!!!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print