Normal Topic Startup file (Read 18920 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Startup file
Feb 5th, 2005 at 9:36pm
Print Post Print Post  
I would like to create a shortcut (icon) on my desktop that will open Sesame to a specific database in Search Update mode and with all forms retrieved.  Also, I would like Sesame in full-screen view. 

Any suggestions?

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Re: Startup file
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 10:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Create a macro that does what you want and save it as Startup.mac. Then add this line to your icon file:

-macro "C:\sesame\data\startup.mac"

It will load the macro as soon as sesame starts up.

(In XP, right click the icon and add the line to the "Target" field.) See the programming manual for more specifics

Steve

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 11:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Steve -

The program editor will not allow me to use - macro in the target field.

Other than that, my shortcut works fine.  The problem is that it only gets me as far as the database.  The macro has been recorded and works fine on playback, however, I need it to be automatic.

I could not find anything in the guides about "startup" macros.

Help!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2005 at 11:54pm
Print Post Print Post  
The Target field I'm referring to is within the actual icon properties on the desktop. You do not need to use the programming editor within Sesame at all.

There are numerous commands (called command switches) that can be sent to sesame at the time you click on the icon. It's all done from the Icon (or from the Start menu/Run command in windows)

I have an icon that starts sesame, opens a particular database, opens a form, and then hides the menu tree. Works great.

Steve

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 12:00am
Print Post Print Post  
Steve -

If you could give me the details of the icon properties on your desktop, I would appreciate it.

That is where I was trying to put the - macro switch and got the message that it was not valid.

In the meantime, I just put the macro in the Application Manager (on Application open) and it worked like a charm.

So, I don't know if I've done it the best way, but at least it does exactly what I want.  I just click on the desktop icon, it opens the program, opens the specific database I want and retrieves the entire set of records.

Once again, though, I would still like to know how to do it in the icon properties since you say it is definitely possible.

Thanks!

- Spencer

IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 1:16am
Print Post Print Post  
Here's what the "target" field reads in my Sesame Icon:

C:\Sesame\Program\sesame.exe -client ntserver:20020:20021 -macro "C:\sesame\data\startup.mac"

Make sure the Macro file is in the correct location so Sesame can find it. (the -client and ntserver info is only so it will connect as a client to the server. )

Steve

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 3:07am
Print Post Print Post  
Steve -

I tried following the format you gave me and at least was able to get the program editor to accept it.  Nevertheless, for some reason, it still didn't start the macro.

Perhaps when I am "fresh" I will play with it again and see if I can get it to work that way.

In the meantime, I am thrilled that the shortcut does exactly what I wanted it to do, including opening the record set.

So, once again, thanks for all the help you've been today; you helped make my day a very productive and enjoyable one. 

One other thing occurred to me.  I would like to add one command to the end of the existing macro.  Is there any way to edit a macro file without redoing it?

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 4:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
  Also, I would like Sesame in full-screen view. 

Any suggestions?

There is a pulldown on the icon's property dialog that allows you to set whether the program should start in full screen mode.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 4:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
There are numerous commands (called command switches) that can be sent to sesame at the time you click on the icon. It's all done from the Icon (or from the Start menu/Run command in windows)

Steve

To get a list of all of the startup switches, enter "c:\Sesame\Program\sesame -help" on a command line.

Code
Select All
Syntax:
sesame [-macro <macro_file.mac>][-server <server_name[:port_no1][:port_no2]>][-client <server_name[:port_no1][:port_no2]>][-qa <qa_file.dtf>][-closed][-splash <image_file<.bmp|.jpg|.png>>][-scheme <scheme_name>][-blink][-no_startup_program][-help][-daemon][-warn_high][-warn_none][sesame_database.db][sesame_design_file.dsr]

*Items in "[ ... ]" are optional and may appear in any order. Items in "< ... >" are required arguments and must immediately follow their command.

Commands:
	  -client server_name[:port_no1][:port_no2]
		    This command starts a Sesame client on the local machine and connects it to the Sesame server already running on the remote machine using the ports specified. The port numbers must match those used when starting the Sesame server, and must be open ports not used by any other program on either machine.

-closed
		    The "-closed" command causes the command panel to be closed when the Sesame client starts.

-help
		    Causes this message to be shown.

-daemon
		    Cause the server to run with the server user interface.

-macro macro_file.mac
		    This command causes a macro file to be loaded and run during client startup.

-server server_name[:port_no1][:port_no2]
		    This command starts a Sesame server on the local machine using the ports specified. The same port numbers will be used when starting Sesame clients, and must be open ports not used by any other program.

-splash image_file[.jpg|.bmp|.png]
		    This command replaces the usual splash screen with the image supplied in the image file. The image file must be a jpeg, bmp, or png type image.

-scheme scheme_name
		    This command changes the look of sesame to the specified scheme.

-blink
		    This command turns on cursor blinking.

-no_startup_program
		    This command prevents the On Application Open event code from running.

-qa qa_database.dtf
		    Translate a Q&A database and load the resulting Sesame database.

-warn_high
		    Increase the sensitivity of data conversion on input.

-warn_none
		    Turn off all popup warning and error messages.

Examples:
	  To simply open a database named "client_list.db":
		    sesame client_list.db

To open a database named "client_list.db" and run a macro file named "my_macro.mac" immediately:
		    sesame client_list.db -macro my_macro.mac

To start a sesame server on a machine named "Cruncher":
		    sesame -server Cruncher:20000:20001

To start a sesame client that connects to the server running on "Cruncher":
		    sesame -client Cruncher:20000:20001

« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2005 at 1:55pm by The Cow »  

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 4:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

Yes, thanks.  I had found that and so far my start-up shortcut is working flawlessly.

P.S.  When I said that "I already found that" I was referring to using the Icon to open Sesame in full screen mode.  I was not referring to the start-up command programming you added .... which, I'm afraid ..... is waaaay to complex for me.  Smiley
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2005 at 5:23pm by SpencerWulwick »  

- Spencer

IP Logged