Normal Topic Rename a Layout Element (Read 14197 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Rename a Layout Element
Feb 6th, 2005 at 7:38am
Print Post Print Post  
In my zest to get started playing with Sesame I did some design work to replicate one of my most important files.  I've made a lot of progress already, so I hate to start over.

Apparently, however, I forgot to name some layout elements, so Sesame named them for me with names like "LE2", "LE16" etc. --- which is perfectly meaningless to me.

Can I now change the names of the Layout Elements so that LE2 becomes Status .... or something that will be meaningful to me?

What affect, if any, might this have on my programming, etc.?

I assume that I will need to know - from the LE name what the field contains in order to do an import from Access.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Re: Rename a Layout Element
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 3:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi,

Just go into Sdesigner, bring up the form and highlight the layout element you want to change and in the property viewer click"other tab" and in the name field type your new layout name and then click the arrow to the right side thats it. As for as changing your programming I really don't remember, I'd change one that had programming then check my programming to see if Sesame changed it or if I needed to.

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 3:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hammer Told me when importing from access, to turn headers on I believe, do a search for importing its on this forum somewhere.

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2005 at 9:03pm
Print Post Print Post  
In Q&A when you changed a field name, the programming would also change within that database (not in XLU statements within quotes).

In Sesame the programming does not change.....but.....

You can change the LE names in the Editor.  You can open the Programming, print the programming for that form to a test file.  Do a Search/Replace for the LE name changes, and import the Programming file back in again.  This will have do be done for each form that references any of the LEs that are renamed.

I use tools that can do Search/Replace in multiple files at once, so I can export the programming for all the forms, one at a time, do the Search/Replace only once across all of the program files, then import the forms program files back again one form at a time.

For this reason, if translating from Q&A, you should do all your field naming in Q&A, before you do the translation.  Get rid of all the "Fnnnn" fields and give them real names.  Remove non-alphanumeric characters.  This will allow all programming references, reports, saved specs, etc. to be changed in Q&A first.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged