Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) MS Access to Sesame (Read 3757 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

MS Access to Sesame
Feb 7th, 2005 at 5:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I am about ready to "bite-the-bullet."

I am, very shortly, going to convert my most important database, currently in MS Access ..... to Sesame.

Can you please advise me where I can find detailed information to:

1)  export my table out of Access (I already converted the Access database to one table, hopefully to make the transition easier)  .... and

2) import the data to my new Sesame database.

Thanks!

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Re: MS Access to Sesame
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 6:13pm
Print Post Print Post  
To export from Access I would suggest making a sorted query first.  You can include/exclude/modify fields as needed right there.  Arrange the columns to be eported to be in the same sequence as the fields in your Sesame form.  Insert blank columns if necessary.  Save the query.

Then make a single line Access macro using Transfer Text,.

In the fields at the bottom, select:
Transfer Type =  "export delimited"
Specification =  leave blank
TableName = name of query saved above
FileName = full path\name.csv for export file to be created.
HasFieldNames = NO
HTMLTableName = leave blank
CodePage = leave blank

Save the macro as macExportToSesame, and execute the macro.

You will end up with a "csv" (comma separated values) file with quotes around each text field, and comma delimited.

Now you can import into Sesame.  See UserGuide.pdf file, around page 279+ for import instructions.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 6:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Further thoughts on Access export.

1.  Be sure to test the query first.

2.   Make a query that will have 1 record.
Modify the export macro to include the Field Names
Run the macro and create the export file to be imported.

3.  Import the exported file into Sesame.  You will have two records.  One with values and one with Element/Field names.  You can now look at the names in the form elements to double check they will be coming in to the correct locations.  If not good, go back to Access and modify the query as needed.  If OK, delete these two records, and modify your query to bring in all the records that you want.

OR

Add the Field Name headers to the original and bring them in any way.  You can always delete all of the records if they are no good.  Or just delete the single record with names if everything is OK.  (This sounds like a better idea) Grin

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 11:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
The "Mass Delete" option on the Sesame Menu tree comes in handy if your records get 'messed up' during the import process.

Sometimes I have to make 3 or 4 attmempts before all the data imports properly.

Steve

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2005 at 4:55pm
Print Post Print Post  
So Spencer......

How have you made out with your exports from Access into Sesame? 

Did Sesame - Manage Fields that we spoke about finally resolve your problems?

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 7:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Bob -

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner; however, I was out-of-town for the reunion I coordinated (which I'm happy to say was a great success) and have been sick ever since then.

The help you gave me with "managing fields" was absolutely phenomenal (as usual).  It gave me a much better understanding of the structure and has made it much easier to perform related tasks.

I am, however, back to the export/import issue and it is driving me crazy.  I'm very comfortable (or had been) with export/imports and had even written a paper on it in Q&A.

To get to the "bottom line" my latest problem is that I am getting an error message thay says "Warning: Image - Unknown stream image type."  I don't understand this at all.  Although I do have one "photo" (image) field in Sesame, I do not have it "tagged" for import.  Likewise, I have one Image field in MS Access, but I do not include it in my export query.  So, that is the latest issue I need help with.  Help!  lol

- Spencer

- Spencer

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2005 at 10:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
When are you getting the "unknown stream" error - when you are actually importing, or afterwards when you are stepping through the newly created records?. That error is caused when Sesame is trying to read the image file and either the image file does not exist or is in a format that Sesame doesn't support.

If you can, step to a record that causes that error message, and double click on the image LE. A dialog will appear allowing you to select a different image file from your images directory. In the bottom right side of the dialog, there should be a text box showing the current value. If it is not blank, that means Sesame imported some value from the ASCII file into the image LE. Seeing that value may help you resolve the issue by looking for that same value in the ASCII file.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 4:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Ray -

I am getting the message at the time I "run" the import. 

I cannot understand the "image" message because, as I said I am not dealing with any image fields on either the export or import side.  I noticed though that it only said "warning" and wonder whether it is just a caution with no real consequence.

I did, however, find a contributing factor in my MS Access database.  I have a multi-line remarks field and sometimes start a new line by typing Control/Enter.

Apparently on the export a "paragraph" mark is being inserted.  So, when I get to the import, Sesame interprets this as "end-of-record" and then says "ut-oh, you don't have enough fields to import."

I have gone to the Access table I created for the export, and tried to do a search/replace for ^p but it is not finding the carriage returns that way. 

I can go to my text file and remove the unwanted returns; however, it would be EXTREMELY time consuming.  I would have to find each one and either allow or remove it.   So, for now at least, I need a solution for removing the unwanted carriage returns in the remarks section of my Access database.

A solution for this dillema would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Spencer

- Spencer

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 5:05am
Print Post Print Post  
By gosh, by golly, by gee ....

I am happy to say that I solved my own problem.  I think that expressing it in my earlier "post" helped me see my way to the solution.

I was absolutely right that the problem was the embedded "carriage returns" in my Ascii database.  Sooooo, I modified my query to add an extra "unwanted" column with the expression 'REPLACEME' in the last position of field #52.

After exporting the ASCII table created by the query, I simply opened the text file.  In there I was able to do a search/replace of ALL carriage returns (paragraph marks). 

Then, I simply did another search/replace to replace the term 'REPLACEME' with a carriage return.  Just as I wanted it replaced the term 1861 times, the precise number of records in my database.  I saved it, did my import to Sesame and it worked FLAWLESSLY!   Yippee!!!  Finally, I have now created my prize database in Sesame.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

on computers now!

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 5:31am
Print Post Print Post  
Well done Spencer Grin

Wonder what the next hurdle will be..... Roll Eyes

Will stay tuned......

Bob Hansen
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2005 at 5:35am
Print Post Print Post  
You may be sorry you brought it up.  lol

My "next hurdle" is that some of the phone numbers came in the format of (123) 123-1234, which is exactly what I wanted.

Others came in as 1231231234 which is not what I want.

I went back to the table I created and edited each phone number field to INCLUDE the characters.  It looked fine in the table but didn't come in right.  I am perplexed.  lol

- Spencer

IP Logged