Normal Topic Upper case in internally merged letters (Read 13574 times)
addison1

No personal text

Upper case in internally merged letters
Feb 7th, 2005 at 10:41pm
Print Post Print Post  
I'm merging a single record to a letter which I select from a pulldown menu.
The format of the customer name in the record is set to "custom" "upper case". The name appears in the record as all upper case.
When the letter prints, the name appears in the letter as all lower case.
What am I missing?

IP Logged

Foster
Ex Member

Re: Upper case in internally merged letters
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 11:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
I don't have time to check trhis out, but believe field has been set to stored characters as lowercase.  I know you can have a record display differently then it is stored.  It is the stored record that is imported into the letter.  So change that format or you may be able format the letter to look like you want it to.  Hope this is all correct, if not let the experts jump in! Smiley

IP Logged

addison1

No personal text

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 1:37pm
Print Post Print Post  
I think that your analysis is correct. In fact, when the format in the record is "uppercase" the outpur to the letter is lower case. When the format in the record "system" or "application" the format to the letter is wysiwyg.
The question is how can get my cake (upper case display) and eat it too (upper case to the letter)?

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 1:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
Addison,

If you are using SBasic to create the merge file, you can use ToUpper (Programming Guide pg. 119) to convert the value.

If you are not using SBasic, but you are merging into Word, you can use Word switches to convert in the merge document. A list of switches appears in this thread:
http://www.lantica.com/Forum2/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gen_disc;action=display...

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged