Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Kiosk Mode (Read 4149 times)
Carl Underwood
Members

Kiosk Mode
Feb 8th, 2005 at 1:24pm
Print Post Print Post  
Is there a limitation on the number of command buttons that can be accessed with the mouse while in kiosk mode?

I have an application that works as expected in regular mode. But, while in kiosk mode, I cannot get the mouse to work on any element past the 32nd element (which is the 31st command button). The command buttons work if I tab to them and press enter. And again, everything works fine when NOT in kiosk mode.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: Kiosk Mode
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 1:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Carl (and everyone else),

I assume you spotted this on the list of startup switches posted in another thread, which came from our current development version. Be aware that Kiosk mode is an undocumented feature which has not yet been through testing. We'd like to have your feedback on it,  but it should be used carefully and should not be deployed in a production environment.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 2:04pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I assume you spotted this on the list of startup switches posted in another thread

Yes, you have assumed correctly. Smiley

I didn't even check to see if it was in the documentation. I just assumed that I had overlooked it there.

As far as feed back, I like it. I did notice that the message asking me if I am sure I want to exit (because data has not yet been committed to the database) has to be answered twice if I am answering "Yes".

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

BOBSCOTT
Members

That Darn Computer #$X#
{curse words}

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 2:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
As far as feed back, I like it.

I agree with Carl,

I like it also!

Team – Together Everyone Achieves More

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 2:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Kiosk mode? What Kiosk mode?  Shocked

For those that didn't see it go by in its brief appearance in another thread - kiosk mode is a new startup flag in 1.1, undocumented and only lightly tested. It is intended for use in read only applications wherein the application is the sole purpose of the computer and exit, window minimalization, and any kind of user control of the OS and other apps is dicouraged or impossible. In other words: a kiosk.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 4:38pm
Print Post Print Post  
Some basic questions to keep kiosk mode as a kiosk

It works good so it cannot be minimized, resized, closed.

But .....how to disable CTL-ALT-DEL? \ALT-TAB \ Menu and other similar access/control keys?

Seems like some more user restriction controls still need to be developed.  But moving in the right direction, I like it.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 4:58pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Some basic questions to keep kiosk mode as a kiosk

It works good so it cannot be minimized, resized, closed.

But .....how to disable CTL-ALT-DEL? \ALT-TAB \ Menu and other similar access/control keys?

Seems like some more user restriction controls still need to be developed.  But moving in the right direction, I like it.

Bob,

If you want to run as a true kiosk, you need to prepare your PC to be a kiosk. The steps to do this are not functions of Sesame. It involves steps like purchasing and installing a piece of kiosk management software, as well as configuring Windows itself to do (and not do) certain things.  Sesame, even in kiosk mode, does not affect operating system settings. Kiosk mode (as with most applications that have a kiosk mode) is intended to prepare Sesame to run on a prepared kiosk, not to turn a PC into a kiosk.

Here is one example of setting up a PC to be a kiosk.
http://www.whotspot.com/p_kiosk_prep.htm

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 8:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Great link Erika.......just added to Bookmarks for future.

Wasn't sure how much kiosk mode would do and how much would have to be done at system level.  Think you have cleared that up.  Thanks......

For non-XP systems, a utility to look at is Windows configurator

An excerpt from their documentation: Quote:
Windows Configurator lets you do things like hide Start menu items and restrict access to your network, without your having to take unnecessary chances with your system's stability. Security options include the ability to hide and disable icons on the desktop and the ability to prevent users from accessing Control Panel items and hard drives.

Options that let you change the appearance of your desktop include changing My Computer, Recycle Bin, Control Panel, and Printer system icons. You can also change Internet Explorer's title bars and the background of its toolbar.
I have used this on many systems with great results, and no problems.  Much easier than trying to use Group Policies.

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

Warren_S.A

No personal text

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 5:13am
Print Post Print Post  
I have not had time to play with this yet -
My question is
EVEN when I build a custom menu my user can still
CLICK ON THE NEW PAGE ICON and thereby go to
CREATE A NEW SESAME DATA BASE

Can Kiosk Mode stop this ? Shocked

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 1:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Kiosk mode hides the command tree, the button bar buttons (including the "New App" button), the pulldown menus, the window decorations (minimize, maximize, and close), and causes Sesame to go full screen with no user recourse. It is very extreme. I would be remiss in my responsibilities to advise any one to use it in any situation other than an actual kiosk, for which it was intended.

IP Logged

Warren_S.A

No personal text

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 5:05am
Print Post Print Post  
Mark is there anyway to Hide or Disable the NEW APP button ?

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 1:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark is there anyway to Hide or Disable the NEW APP button ?

In SDesigner's security manager you can tell Sesame that any particular group is not allowed to have design rights. That will disable the new app button while the users in that group are logged into a particular application.

If you want a more universal solution, you need to go beyond application security, and use the operating system. The easiest thing to do is simply remove, delete, rename, or move SDesigner.exe. The new app button will still attempt to call it up, but will cheerfully (and quietly) fail.

If you do opt to remove SDesigner.exe entirely from a user's system, be sure to remove the icon on the desktop and the startup menu options as well. Also be sure to notify the user that you are removing software from their computer, and give them instructions on how to restore that software if they so choose.

IP Logged