Normal Topic Client Licenses (Read 1204 times)
Frederick_JH

Open Sesame . . . the
magic portal awaits!

Client Licenses
Feb 12th, 2005 at 9:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi All!

I have read the FAQ on both the Lantica.com and the sesamedatabase.com websites and I am still not sure on the question of client licenses.

Are the client licenses per "Application"(sometimes also called a database) or per server?

Also, in the FAQ is says that you can run multiple servers. Do you need a separate "client/server" license for each server that is running at the same time?

I am hoping to buy some client licenses while they are on sale but need to know how many to purchase.

Here is our planned setup at our radio station.

Applications:

Music Request database (for our call in program Request & Dedication)
Program Traffic database (for tracking which program should air when)
(We may add more latter. Like a purchase order system)

We have the following computers:

On-Air Studio
Production Studio
Production 2 Studio
Request &Dedication
Office

For the following senario how many client licenses do I need?

On-Air Sutdio and Request & Dedication Computers hook up to the Music Request Database while the Production Studio  and the office hook up to the Program Traffic database.

If the client licenses are per application then I need 2 licenses but if the client licenses are per sesame server then I need 4.

Does it make any difference if two instances of the server on the same computer are serving the databases or one server?

I would appreciate an answer from one of the following  (and no guesses, No -  "I think it is this way!" type answers, please!):

1) Lantica Employees
2) Sesame consultants that sell Sesame
3) Real world users that are serving multiple applications (databases) to multiple computers.

Thanks in advance for your help in clearing up my confusion!

FJH

Frederick Henderson*Radio HRGS*Roatan*Bay Islands*Honduras

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Client Licenses
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2005 at 10:00pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Hi All!

I have read the FAQ on both the Lantica.com and the sesamedatabase.com websites and I am still not sure on the question of client licenses.

Are the client licenses per "Application"(sometimes also called a database) or per server?

Also, in the FAQ is says that you can run multiple servers. Do you need a separate "client/server" license for each server that is running at the same time?

You do not need a separate license for each Sesame server, so long as each Sesame server can get to the license file by file path.
Quote:
I am hoping to buy some client licenses while they are on sale but need to know how many to purchase.

Here is our planned setup at our radio station.

Applications:

Music Request database (for our call in program Request & Dedication)
Program Traffic database (for tracking which program should air when)
(We may add more latter. Like a purchase order system)

We have the following computers:

On-Air Studio
Production Studio
Production 2 Studio
Request &Dedication
Office

For the following senario how many client licenses do I need?

On-Air Sutdio and Request & Dedication Computers hook up to the Music Request Database while the Production Studio  and the office hook up to the Program Traffic database.

If the client licenses are per application then I need 2 licenses but if the client licenses are per sesame server then I need 4.

In a typical configuration, you would need four. The licenses refer to the number of simultaneous client connections to any one Sesame server. So if you run one server and have it load your two (or more) application files and you want four clients to be able to connect to that Sesame server - you will need four client licenses.
Quote:
Does it make any difference if two instances of the server on the same computer are serving the databases or one server?

Here is where you may be able to save some money, if you are willing to give up a little flexibility. Since more than one instance of the Sesame server can run on the same machine and share the same license file, you can buy a two client license, load one set of application files into server A, and the other set of application files into server B. Each server will only allow two clients to connect simultaneously, and each Sesame server will only serve up the application files not already loaded on the other Sesame server. But, you will end up with four total simultaneous connections.

If you will be running two Sesame servers, remember to put them on different port numbers. The clients will use the port numbers to determine which of the two Sesame servers to connect to - which in the end, determines which application files they can open.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged