Normal Topic Scrolling issues! (Read 1983 times)
Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Scrolling issues!
Feb 16th, 2005 at 7:34pm
Print Post Print Post  
Lanticans,

We're having problems moving the curser to 'scroll' to the bottom of heavily filled Multi-Line text boxes. The focus JUMPS unexpectantly to the next field as soon as the curser hits the last row (or the first row if scrolling up).

Even worse, we have a multi-line text box on a sub-form (in form view), and typing any character in the subform causes the form to scroll to top, pushing the curser out of view. Editing or adding data to this field is impossible.

If there is no fix in the near future, we will need a workaround. The F-6 Editor may work if it can be called with programming and used with subforms.

Let me know what you think.

ps. A scroll bar in a multi-line text box may solve this issue, and be a great convenience.

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Re: Scrolling issues!
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 8:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Steve,

You will move to the next element if you are at the bottom of a Multi line Text box and hit the down arrow. You should not be moved to the next element if you are on the second to last line and hit the down arrow. Which is happening?

Which form is scrolling the Sub Form or the Main Form? Could you send me the application that has the subform in it so I can see what is happening? Be sure to include which form I need to look at in the e-mail.

The F6 Editor can be called from programming. You may want to look at @Fedit on page 87 of the programming manual. Another option would be to use CursorPosition() which is covered on pages 23-24 of the Sesame 1.1 Documentation supplement, to force the cursor to the bottom of the element.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 8:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Ray,

Do to space limitations on the form, the multi-line box only shows about 10 lines. The text that goes in the box fills about 200+ lines so the user has to hold the curser key for while to get to the bottom of the field. This means they have to let off the key at precisely the right time.... hard to do. (if they go to far, they have to start over again from the top)

I'll send you my ap with the subform scrolling issue. It is the SUBFORM that scrolls to the top as each character is pressed.

Your 2 programming suggestions may do the trick if another solution is not in the works.

Thanks!

Steve

IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 9:17pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Steve,

Mark just finished adding another keystroke to Sesame that will take you to the end of the last line in the current element.

As for the scrolling, The reason it is happening is because the multi line text box is so much bigger than the tab you are displaying it on. In Sesame when an element gets typed into,  the scroll bars are adjusted so that the element is displaying on the screen. If you make the height of your Multi-Line text element on your subform about 280 and make your subform's height to be about 290, you will not have this problem.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Steve_in_Texas

No personal text

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 9:51pm
Print Post Print Post  
I made the subform large so I could make use of the scroll bar.

I'll look into your suggestions this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

IP Logged