Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Reports Dying (Read 5399 times)
miss_doo

half of the people you
know are below average

Reports Dying
Feb 23rd, 2005 at 3:53pm
Print Post Print Post  
The first time this happened, I thought it was by chance... Now that it's happened again, I'm wondering if I'm experiencing operator error, or if it's something more.

I have a number of reports attached to my database.  I've been working with my Bookings report this morning, have tweaked it, and it has given me my HTML report perfectly, no problem.  I just went back into designer to change a header, and when I opened the report, all of the LE's turned into Unbound Value boxes, and a number of them were completely black.  Nothing would work.  The crazy thing is, the report worked, literally, 5 minutes before.

This happened again, before, on a different report.  I ended up  having to redo it.  Any ideas on why this might be happening?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
miss_doo

~ miss doo&&&&a burning dog needs no chimney, and time heals all non-fatal wounds

IP Logged

miss_doo

half of the people you
know are below average

Re: Reports Dying
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 5:19pm
Print Post Print Post  
OK, it just happened again.  Is there some sort of trouble shooting something anywhere for this?  I'm beginning to feel the need to take out my aggressions on my poor, innocent computer.   ???

Thanks,

~ miss doo&&&&a burning dog needs no chimney, and time heals all non-fatal wounds

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 6:40pm
Print Post Print Post  
Miss_Doo,

I know that I tracked this down and fixed it (will be in the next release) but, for some reason, I don't have a note on what the cause was. I do recall that it required a fairly complex combination of conditions to produce the problem.

One thing that may help to avoid it is to close the Report Design Tab before running the report in Preview Mode. I think it had something to do with a combination of an open tab, a LE bound to a Money field and some formatting selections, possibly involving programming. Whew!

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

miss_doo

half of the people you
know are below average

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 7:47pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks for the reply Hammer.  I'll probably just do a less intensive report for now and eagerly await the next release.   Grin

IP Logged

proudpoppy
Members

Do What ??

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 8:30pm
Print Post Print Post  
This has happened to me several times, I have learned to always save the dsr to a new db, test to make sure it works correctly, if alls o.k. then reconcile, its also helps to test the programming in the editor, most the time its a problem with a programming statement I forgot to test, or a reference to a LE I deleted and forgot about. Wink

IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 9:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
I had this happen to me twice so far.

Both instances when I was in the report tab and went to preview mode as Erika mentioned.

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 6:28pm
Print Post Print Post  
Erika,

Quote:
One thing that may help to avoid it is to close the Report Design Tab before running the report in Preview Mode. I think it had something to do with a combination of an open tab, a LE bound to a Money field and some formatting selections, possibly involving programming. Whew!

I just experienced this problem of value boxes going black. And yes, I did have the design tab open when I launched preview mode to test the report. Four simple lines of programming, but no money fields at all in the app.

Is there any way to recover this report, or do I have to completely rebuild it and delete the original?

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Ray the Reaper
Global Moderator
Members
Lantica Support

The One & The Only

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 7:26pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hello Carl,

You have to rebuild the report and delete the original.

-Ray

Raymond Yoxall Consulting
ray.yoxall@gmail.com
ryoxall@lantica.com
Sesame Applications, Design and Support
IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 8:45pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Ray,

FYI, it just happened again with the design tab CLOSED.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

miss_doo

half of the people you
know are below average

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 9:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi Carl,

My reports seemed to die whether or not I had the design tab open, and even though they had different programming, etc...  I've just gone to really basic reports until the problem has been fixed, since some of my seemingly healthy reports have tanked after working for a long time. 

Quote:
Posted by: proudpoppy Posted on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 2:30pm
This has happened to me several times, I have learned to always save the dsr to a new db, test to make sure it works correctly

Proudpoppy has it right though, so you at least don't loose everything when it crashes.

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 10:06pm
Print Post Print Post  
BTW, if any of you folks can reliably reproduce this problem (meaning make it happen on purpose), I'd really like to know what the steps are so I can make absolutely sure we've taken care of this one. I believe I've fixed it, but it was always intermittent so it's hard to be certain.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged