Normal Topic COLUMNAR REPORT ISSUES (Read 2922 times)
Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

COLUMNAR REPORT ISSUES
Feb 23rd, 2005 at 9:10pm
Print Post Print Post  
I have encountered some formatting issues in my reports that I would prefer to see but haven't been able to accomplish:

1. Right alignment of number/money columns (defaults    to left in all cases).

2. Report and Group headers - would like to actually be able to repeat on second and subsequent pages of reports

3. Underlining features - would like to be able to underline the Group header and the last line before a count, sum, etc. calculation.  I have tried to use the Line Layout element feature, but it only seems to work in the Report Header

4. Summary calculations in Group Footer - on various reports I use count, sum and average calcs.  I am able to show them on the same line but I prefer to show them on separate lines.  I tried the line break, but it doesn't work here.

I have also used these features in the View Footer.  They show up, but on the very left hand side of the report and I am unable to line up properly with the appropriate columns.

5. Portrait vs Landscape printing - given that HTML is controlling the output, and the deafult is portrait, when a report is generated and is 4 pages portrait, changing to landscape gives the desired effect, but it still thinks there are 4 pages.

Are the above limitations in Sesame or HTML ?

Or are there ways to accomplish this in Sesame ?

If not, maybe I am just being too picky !

Thanks,

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Re: COLUMNAR REPORT ISSUES
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2005 at 10:14pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
I have encountered some formatting issues in my reports that I would prefer to see but haven't been able to accomplish:

1. Right alignment of number/money columns (defaults    to left in all cases).

You can right align a report element by selecting it, then choosing one of the right align choices (07, 08, 09) from the Label Alignment dropdown on the Look Tab in the Property Editor.

Quote:
2. Report and Group headers - would like to actually be able to repeat on second and subsequent pages of reports

HTML does not really have the concept of "pages" so neither do Sesame reports. I'm afraid this isn't really doable in this version. The Group Headers will repeat each time a Group breaks.

Quote:
3. Underlining features - would like to be able to underline the Group header and the last line before a count, sum, etc. calculation.  I have tried to use the Line Layout element feature, but it only seems to work in the Report Header

You can do this using multiple Groups. If you were at the User Conference, you saw me demonstrate this and it is included on the CD. I also wrote a tutorial showing this for a recent Inside Sesame issue. If you don't have either of these, this technique is included in the updated documentation which will be available soon.

Quote:
4. Summary calculations in Group Footer - on various reports I use count, sum and average calcs.  I am able to show them on the same line but I prefer to show them on separate lines.  I tried the line break, but it doesn't work here.

I have also used these features in the View Footer.  They show up, but on the very left hand side of the report and I am unable to line up properly with the appropriate columns.

You can also do this using multiple Groups.

Quote:
5. Portrait vs Landscape printing - given that HTML is controlling the output, and the deafult is portrait, when a report is generated and is 4 pages portrait, changing to landscape gives the desired effect, but it still thinks there are 4 pages.

The pagination is out of our hands at that point. The HTML printer on your system figures this stuff out for itself. We are working on taking more control over pagination in future versions.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Louis Galvao

"Sufferin' Succatash"

Re: COLUMNAR REPORT ISSUES
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2005 at 3:02pm
Print Post Print Post  
Thanks  for the advice.

Multiple Groups works like a charm thanks to your comprehensive article from Inside Sesame.

Louis

Louis Galvao

IP Logged