Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Report - Unwanted "footer" (Read 7724 times)
SpencerWulwick
Members

Report - Unwanted "footer"
Mar 4th, 2005 at 6:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Hi -

I have designed a simple report (which works just fine) for my needs.

The only "problem" is that it seems to automatically assign the path to my source database (and the date prepared) to the bottom of each page.  This raises two issues:

1)  I would prefer the date to appear only on the first page of the report (no big deal if it has to be on all).  Is there a way I can have the date appear only where and when I want it?

2)  The source path to the database also appears on every page of the report.  This is not acceptable since it detracts from the overall report appearance.  What can I do to decide for myself whether (or not - as will be the case in most instances) it appears?

- Spencer

** Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty!
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Re: Report - Unwanted "footer"
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 8:22pm
Print Post Print Post  
Sesame only generates the report file. It does not print the report. That is done by the program assigned in your operating system to print HTML. Under MS operating systems this is the same program that runs if you right click on the file in Explorer and select "Print" from the popup menu. You can reassign which program that is by using the mechanism for reassigning the defaults for the ."htm" and ".html" file extension.

Under most MS systems, the program is "mshtml.dll,PrintHTML".  It can be any program that can print HTML from a command line, including the highly regard Ghostscript and the lesser known HTMLDoc.

If you chose to stay with MS, the headers and footers (as well as margin settings) to control mshtml.dll are placed (again, not so wisely) in the system's registry, under the key:

Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup\footer

and

Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup\header

Remember to always back up your registry before making any changes.

If you print from within your browser, Netscape/Mozilla allow you to set the page settings, including headers and footers.

Mark Lasersohn&&Programmer&&Lantica Software, LLC
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 8:46pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

Thanks for your reply; however, that one will take me considerable time to digest and to experiment with.  I'll provide feedback once I've done so.

Again, this brings up a point I am very curious about.  I can understand full well why a "word processor" is not included within Sesame because it is so incredibly easy to integrate Sesame with MS Word (and I assume other word processing programs).

The report function (using alternative programs) does not seem so easy to me though.... and I've already heard many comments from people being unhappy with the absence of an easier report generator within Sesame. 

Are there any plans to incorporate a more complete - easier to use - report generator with Sesame at some future time?

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 9:15pm
Print Post Print Post  
Most people stop complaining about the report generator once they get the hang of it. It doesn't look like the report generator in Access or Crystal Reports, so people assume they don't know how to use it. Once they give it a try, however, they produce some really cool reports with very little effort. I have in my files a number of examples where a small-office clerk with no programming experience produced a very complex multi-view report with lots of neat tricks simply because it didn't occur to them that they couldn't. I'm very impressed with the reports people are producing.

There are some people for whom pagination control is a make-or-break issue, but, HTML reports gave us so much power and portability that we felt it was an acceptable temporary trade-off. Especially since most of our users don't really care about the page header stuff. For those that do care, we are in the process of adding a new report type that has the pagination control that HTML does not support and this will appear in a future version.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 9:20pm
Print Post Print Post  
"Hammer"

Thanks much for the explanation and, certainly, I'll continue to try to learn and use it.  In spite of the "down" side, I can also see some advantages to the HTML format.  I am delighted to hear, however, that consideration is being given to alternative options. 

By the way, with regard to pagination, the one thing I do like about the HTML format is that the pages (e.g. 1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc.) is shown on the top of the report.  Wile I would prefer it on the bottom, I am very happy, nevertheless, that it is included.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Hammer
YaBB Administrator
Lanticans

Fire bad. Tree pretty.

Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 9:31pm
Print Post Print Post  
HTML has a lot of upsides, but, having worked extensively with other report generators, I think I 'd have to say that my personal favorite feature is this:

Whether I'm viewing the report in my browser or sending it to the printer, it always fits on the page. Automatically. No matter what my data looks like. And, if I am viewing the report in my browser, it uses the entire screen width, even if that is wider than a sheet of paper. Yet, it still fits on the paper if I print. I like that a lot!

I've spent way too much time fiddling with adjusting little boxes back and forth to make things fit and get them lined up and sized the same when making reports in Access.  I really like HTML's automatic "fit and adjust" capabilities.

- Hammer
The plural of anecdote is not data.
IP Logged

Bob_Hansen
Members

WOW, They have the Internet
on computers now!

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 10:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
This caused me a lot of thought.  Enough that I made a new subject to keep the topics isolated.  I think that the problem is a bit more complex than just manually changing Browser Print Settings.

See discussions here for: Report Printing / Registry Functions
« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2005 at 4:04am by Bob_Hansen »  

Bob Hansen
Sesame Database Manager Professional
Sensible Solutions Inc.
Salem, NH
603-898-8223
Skype ID = sensiblesolutions
IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 10:01pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
For those that do care, we are in the process of adding a new report type that has the pagination control that HTML does not support and this will appear in a future version.

Erika, is right about this - we are adding a new report format that does not use HTML and is under Sesame's control when printed. I will remind Erika, though, about that non-disclosure she signed...

IP Logged

pineberry

No personal text

Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 10:11pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark

Let's assume this and some other things don't apply to non-disclosure  -  we like to hear about these things.

Harley

IP Logged

The Cow
YaBB Administrator

Reply #9 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 10:16pm
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
Mark

Let's assume this and some other things don't apply to non-disclosure  -  we like to hear about these things.

Harley

Yeah, I know. I was just kidding her. We really don't subscribe to the hush hush everything-is-a-secret way of doing things.

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2005 at 10:33pm
Print Post Print Post  
"Cow"  

I try to not add what I would call "garbage" comments, that just add "clutter" to the message thread, however:

Quote:
I will remind Erika, though, about that non-disclosure she signed...

ROFLOL!!!!!

By the way, I just got off the phone with Erika and am eagerly looking forward to attending her training sessions.

- Spencer

IP Logged

Carl Underwood
Members

Reply #11 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 3:33am
Print Post Print Post  
Quote:
By the way, with regard to pagination, the one thing I do like about the HTML format is that the pages (e.g. 1 of 10, 2 of 10, etc.) is shown on the top of the report.  Wile I would prefer it on the bottom, I am very happy, nevertheless, that it is included.

Spencer,

If you are using MSIE, you can change the location and/or the information that is printed in the header & footer. Go to File> Page Setup...>. You should see some codes in the Headers and Footers section. You can move "Page &p of &P" from the Header line to the Footer line to get "Page 1 of 10" etc. to print at the bottom of the page.

Carl Underwood
CDU Computer Consulting LLC
Epsom, New Hampshire
IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #12 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 11:30am
Print Post Print Post  
Spencer,
Looking at Carl's suggestion above, if you are using MS Internet Explorer and goto -> File -> Page Setup and remove existing entry from Header and footer and put
"Page &p of &P" (ofcourse, eliminate the quotes), it will printout the report as you wanted. I tried it and it worked perfect. No need to mess with Registry!!!

IP Logged

Bharat_Naik
Members

Ever ready to learn and

Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 11:38am
Print Post Print Post  
If you are using FireFox Mozilla, it even gives you greater control of Header and Footer with GUI entry and you can have custom display without placing any code. You can even decide where exactly does the entry goes as to on the left side, center or right side in each header and footer.  Just goto -> File -> Page Setup and fillout various entries. No code involved!!!

IP Logged

SpencerWulwick
Members

Reply #14 - Mar 5th, 2005 at 12:29pm
Print Post Print Post  
Mark -

I hate fooling with the system registry and am happy that now I won't have to.

Carl Underwood's solution (like Bharat's) was simple and easy and gave me what I wanted.  I now have the date (e.g. Sunday, March 05, 2005) printing on the left side of the bottom of the page .... and the page #s (Page 1 of 8, etc.) printing on the bottom on the right side ..... which fits my personal preferences perfectly.

Carl -

Nice to see you are still around and good to see that you are participating in Sesame.  It will be "fun" to be conversing with you again.

Bharat -

I'm not using FireFox Mozilla; however, the solution Carl gave (since I am using MSIE) fits my needs just fine.  Thanks, again, for your input.

As I said before, I am optimistic that Sesame does plan on including it's own report generator because I personally think it will be easier to use and give us more flexibility and "control."  In the meantime, though, the limited control I now have on headers and footers makes me feel much more comfotable and better about what we have in the interim (or until I learn how to master it better).

- Spencer

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send Topic Send Topic Print Print